PDA

View Full Version : Lights for coffee house size stages and basement parties

Korbin
04-15-2012, 10:49 PM
My roommate and I are looking at investing in a very basic lighting package. He is an acoustic songwriter and I am an aspiring DJ/Producer. We'd like to be able to share the costs and use of these lights, so we're thinking of just simple LED wash lights. He'll be playing mostly small bars and coffee houses, where I am likely to be playing house parties, basements, and very small clubs. The only light we currently have is an old strobe light from a party store.

We're looking at a few pieces, hoping not to spend more than $300 but could possible bump to $400 if it's a significantly better setup...

Option 1: 2x Chauvet Colorstrip Mini linked for up-lighting walls behind us and one other light and/or hazer
Option 2: 2x Chauvet 4PLAY looks cool, but might be too active for coffee house gigs, could add a cheap hazer for nice effect
Option 3: 1x Chauvet 4BAR includes case footswitch and stand, but leaves nothing left in our budget

We perform solo, so we'd like lights with a sound active mode, for easy action.

Opinions on these options and suggestions for other setups around $300 are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mystic
04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Send a message to BillESC, he can hook you up with some good gear.

Korbin
04-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Mystic, I'll be sure to contact him once I get a better idea of what we're looking for.

After browsing a few threads here, I realized that for the time being, we don't even need DMX capable lights. We might just want some cheap static LED lights, like in this thread (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?362-Posible-Uplight-Wash-%28non-DMX-%29-but-remote-controlled-LED), to wash the walls around the stage/DJ table. This would leave room in our budget for other expenses, like getting a second PA speaker...

Thoughts?

DYM
04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Contact Bill... he can help you out... trust us.

BillESC
04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the Rep guys.

Korbin, I'd worry less about wall washing and start with a pair of pars offering at the minimum of RGBA color mixing to light the performer and an inexpensive controller. This will all fit within your $ 300.00 budget. Down the road you can add back ground lighting if desired.

sss18734
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
A Chauvet Mini 4-Bar 2.0 will provide more than enough light for coffeeshop venues and leave you enough money for a simple DMX controller.

Plus you get the advantage of 4 movable fixtures so you can put the light exactly where you want it.