PDA

View Full Version : Help Improve Sween's Website

Sween
04-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Okay. My bookings have fallen off a little this year. Possibly due to me raising my price (by a whopping $100!). But I have been working hard this week at improving my web presence and brand. I usually think my website is pretty good, but honestly I know it can be better. And in the Philly market there are a lot of DJ's with fancy websites. So I want to improve it. I might be making some big changes over time, but little changes I can make right away.

My number change should be better photos... I know. But I'm not a photographer, and I maybe should hire one for a shoot or a tag along... I have not had good luck getting any photographer I have ever worked with providing photos to me, even after offering to pay for them. So yeah, some better photos.

All criticism is encouraged... I'm not going to get pissy. I WANT to improve it. You will not offend me (unless you call me names or something). I may disagree with your suggestion but I will consider all advice with open ears. If you have a "personal" suggestion please elaborate... (such as "I don't like the black background"), give me reasons WHY you think it is inferior....

So here have at it:

www.futurescapesentertainment.com

And then feel free to look at my competition and tell me what they do better or worse:
http://www.ebetalent.com/
http://www.evansdj.com/
http://www.cuttingedgedjs.com/blog/philadelphia-dj/
http://www.djchoice.com/
http://www.billscheivert.com/
http://www.4mostsound.com/
http://www.botdjs.com/
http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.com/
http://www.thepartyexpressdjs.com/
http://marcfisherentertainment.com/
http://www.phillydjpros.com/

Rep for all help. (And I've got 4 stars! Wooohoo!)

DYM
04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I personally think that your background should be a more neutral texture because it it distracting my eyes away from your text.. Something lighter and not as harsh as the black stars. I understand "Furturescape" as in a spacey background but it's distracting. I also think that your nav bar needs to be more prevalent long the top (horizontal) portion of the screen. Hope I can help... will try to post some more :)

DYM
04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Ahh.. if you can make your "banner/logo" on the top of every page click back to your home screen.

Oh and I do love your lighting page.

Minksy
04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Time for a Content Management System! Wordpress is easy to learn and the community offers some useful search engine optimization plug-ins. Many hosts provide automatic installation of a CMS. Who is your hosting provider?

I'm sure that if you're not ready to mess with it, one of the web junkies around here would be willing to help ...

RodneyL
04-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Time for a Content Management System! Wordpress is easy to learn and the community offers some useful search engine optimization plug-ins. Many hosts provide automatic installation of a CMS. Who is your hosting provider?

I'm sure that if you're not ready to mess with it, one of the web junkies around here would be willing to help ...

I agree with this. It really can help unify your website. I personally use Joomla. It has taken me years learn everything about it but the basics can be learned pretty easily.

My negative about your site is that it does look amateurish. Large font, very basic logo, too much content and scrolling on each page. You motto is Elegance and Easy... but the site doesn't give me the impression of elegance.

I hope that helps some. If it makes you feel any better... those other company examples aren't amazing to compare.

Houdini823
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I am a fan of the static background with scrolling text. To make it stand out better I would change the black background to a wedding type photo and have the background for the scrolling text be a transparent black. This will keep it easy to read and add some elegance.

some of your pictures when clicked opens a new window. Have some of the images pop out with java for when the user wants a closer look. Similar to how it works on FB. To make your images stand out more, add a drop shadow to them. Acts like a border but provides some depth and is not tacky as a frame.

Is that the only logo you have? If so see if you can get some variations to it so it can be applied more aesthetically

Sween
04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
I personally think that your background should be a more neutral texture because it it distracting my eyes away from your text.. Something lighter and not as harsh as the black stars. I understand "Furturescape" as in a spacey background but it's distracting. I also think that your nav bar needs to be more prevalent long the top (horizontal) portion of the screen. Hope I can help... will try to post some more :)

Good suggestions that I agree with. I am not a big fan of the dark background myself, but I was working with a template through Webs and that is what I ended up with. The reason the nav bars are on the side is because the templates with the top nav bar really screwed up my banner logo.

Ahh.. if you can make your "banner/logo" on the top of every page click back to your home screen.

Oh and I do love your lighting page.

The reason why the banner logo does not click back is because of their screwed up template would not let me use a custom photo banner… text only. Therefore I had to CSS my banner in. I’m sure there’s a way to get a link in there but its beyond my expertise.

I’m on Webs. And I’m locked in for a considerable amount of time (unless I want to take a $$ hit). I hate them. I’m not sure they’ll let me use a CMS because they already have their own… But it SUCKS! All their templates look amateur IMO… I REALLY need to find a web junkie who will take my content and clean it up for me. It’s getting to the point where I can’t do anything more with it in Webs. FYI, every time I change templates the site gets MAJORLY screwed up.

I agree with this. It really can help unify your website. I personally use Joomla. It has taken me years learn everything about it but the basics can be learned pretty easily.

My negative about your site is that it does look amateurish. Large font, very basic logo, too much content and scrolling on each page. You motto is Elegance and Easy... but the site doesn't give me the impression of elegance.

I hope that helps some. If it makes you feel any better... those other company examples aren't amazing to compare.

Joomla might be an option but I think I need to get a web nerd to set it up the first time. I agree my site looks less professional (I think I’ve gotten beyond “amateur”, but definitely not completely “professional”). It is the template holding me back. The text I made larger because the black background makes it difficult to read when it is small.

I like my basic logo… but I think it does need some “depth” maybe a layered color outline or some texturing, or shadows. I think I need a graphic design nerd to help me fix it up a little.

What I REALLY need to find is someone to help me clean it up for a few hundred bucks. My wishlist:

--The ability to redesign the site (template included) without affecting the current site until all changes are finalized. WEBS will NOT let me do this through their Sitebuilder… Once you change the template, your site is fucked until you spend all day fixing it back.

--Better template, lighter background, better text.

--Scrolling photos on the front page.

Thanks. Rep to all I can (repped some of you too recently). Keep em coming.

Synaxis
04-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Totally Agree with this. Wordpress and Joomla can make you site alone look five times better. I see you have a blog, so Wordpress might be a better option.

Ok:

1) Background, Stars, get rid of it. I think it looks cheesy.
2) Logo, consider something more modern. When I think of music bars, I think classical music, not DJ. Something more exciting.
3) The text is sort of just "floating." I think it needs a container to hold it.
4) Home Page, on the right, you dont need the twitter and Facebook widgets. Simple buttons work better. Plus, they don't fit too well.
5) Lighting Page, show ACTAUL pic of the setups, not drawings. Bottom, You don't need to list your equipment. Most clients won't know the brands or care.
6) Music Suggestions/Database don't fit with the rest of the site.
7) As DYM mentioned, banner should link to home page.
8) Remade nav menu.

Other then that, your site is sort of outdated. You need to give it a more modern look, that will work for a DJ business and look elegant. I'm thinking maybe something transparent/glass with some gold around. Something that will look nice, elegant, and will capture people's attention when they first see it.

RodneyL sums it up nicely. I as well didn't think you competitors had anything special, and I think you can get something much better than all of them. The first one was probably the best IMO, but entirely flash based is a big no-no.

PM if you need any Wordpress setup/help ect. I Freelance for a web marketing firm.

Good Luck!

Synaxis
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
What I REALLY need to find is someone to help me clean it up for a few hundred bucks. My wishlist:

--The ability to redesign the site (template included) without affecting the current site until all changes are finalized. WEBS will NOT let me do this through their Sitebuilder… Once you change the template, your site is fucked until you spend all day fixing it back.

--Better template, lighter background, better text.

--Scrolling photos on the front page.

Thanks. Rep to all I can (repped some of you too recently). Keep em coming.

I can do all that, more or less :)

How much are you paying for your webs.com account? I'm not sure if they allow Wordpress or other CMS's. You might be better off with a regular web host and just forget about them.

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Sween,

Good luck trying to find someone to build you something on a CMS for a few hundred. I've been trying to do that for a year now...
Maybe you'll get lucky, but IME, anyone (friend, college student etc.) that will do the work that cheap generally has very little reliability, or the timetable is forever.

I've tried to do that with 4 different people and my site always gets put to the backburner, or they just don't answer calls/emails. I've looked into getting a pro company to just do a nice site with prices ranging from $1,200-$4,000. Unless you're good with the web stuff (which, I'm not) I'm starting to think I'm just gonna have to pony up the cash and have it done right. Like we say to our clients... do you want the college DJ who will charge you $50 for beer money, or do you want a pro? Well, you've got to pay for a pro, and with that comes responsiveness, reliability, etc etc. Same goes for web design.

EDIT: If you DO find someone inexpensive who is good and reliable... can you send them my way? haha

Sween
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
I agree that I'm getting to the point were I just need to pony up.

90% of my bookings come off the web... and after looking at analytics I have come to the conclusion that my site does not hold many people long enough. I am losing business because my website is not good enough. Period. Time to pay the piper.

Here's my quandary. I feel that I would pay up to about $1000... but can't afford more than that. My justification: My content is already there. I just need someone to organize the "presentation". I really think someone could do that in two days or less. Also... I am not a full time DJ. I do not employ people. $1000 is a lot for me to give up.

I agree you need to pay for good work... but I think I have a decent starting place on this website.

My cousin's fiance does this type of work. (unfortunately they live in Chicago so I can't offer a free wedding in return). But I am afraid to get family involved... and doubt he will do much for me unless I pay him anyway. I saw his last site and it was all flash... not for me.

Sween
04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I can do all that, more or less :)

How much are you paying for your webs.com account? I'm not sure if they allow Wordpress or other CMS's. You might be better off with a regular web host and just forget about them.

Paid them another $130 a few days ago. Dumb mistake. I've got them for 2 more years. :facepalm: to me.

I am allowed to use their Sitebuilder or go 100% CSS. That is all. They will not give me my own coding unless I change my site to all CSS.

What's your price and do you have examples?

Sween
04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Here's a question...

What is the perfect DJ website???

I really want to see it. Some one on here? Some random DJ? Let's get some examples of the PERFECT DJ website...

Obviously I will not "copy" it... but use it as a model.

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree that I'm getting to the point were I just need to pony up.

90% of my bookings come off the web... and after looking at analytics I have come to the conclusion that my site does not hold many people long enough. I am losing business because my website is not good enough. Period. Time to pay the piper.

Here's my quandary. I feel that I would pay up to about $1000... but can't afford more than that. My justification: My content is already there. I just need someone to organize the "presentation". I really think someone could do that in two days or less. Also... I am not a full time DJ. I do not employ people. $1000 is a lot for me to give up.

I agree you need to pay for good work... but I think I have a decent starting place on this website.

My cousin's fiance does this type of work. (unfortunately they live in Chicago so I can't offer a free wedding in return). But I am afraid to get family involved... and doubt he will do much for me unless I pay him anyway. I saw his last site and it was all flash... not for me.

How long are you holding people on your website? Most people spend less than a minute on average on a site gathering info. What are your average times?

Do you advertise anywhere else? What do you spend on that? If 90% of your business is coming through your website, I'd say its by far the most important aspect of your marketing campaign. Someone who knows what they were doing could probably get a blank template up and running in a few hours, but getting it to look right with all your content is more of a task. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

Constructively, that's not really good justification. If you're convinced that you're losing a good chunk of business because your site isn't up to par, why not spend the money on it to get it where it needs to be? So what if you're a single op? If you were booked as much as you wanted to be you wouldn't have posted about improving your site to capture some of the business you are perceiving your missing out on... I understand $1,000 is alot of money to spend, (not give up) but if spending that makes you 10x that, it doesn't take a financial analyst to know thats a smart investment.

Sween
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
FYI... breaking down the competition...

These two are the most popular locals:
http://www.silversound.com/
(also national brands such as Scratch, The Pros, and Complete which are all very popular around here to the lemming brides)

This guy is my closest competitor (a few blocks away from me) and he is ULTRA cheap:

These guys are also near me but have a better brand:
http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.com/ <---The Target

^^East Coast & Cutting Edge are usually the two I compete with the most (both multi-op). 4Most is a little cheaper but is single-op. I would maybe pick East Coast as my target website to get on par with.

Sween
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
How long are you holding people on your website? Most people spend less than a minute on average on a site gathering info. What are your average times?

Visitors 20
Actions 33
Average actions 1.7
Total time 31m 14s
Average time per visit 1m 34s
Bounce rate 72%

^^Last week. (This week is misleading because of this thread...) I got only one form for quotes submitted last week. 5%. FYI- 3 hits of those 20 came from DJF. 2 from The Knot. 3 from WEDJ. The traffic is pretty low too...

Do you advertise anywhere else? What do you spend on that? If 90% of your business is coming through your website, I'd say its by far the most important aspect of your marketing campaign. Someone who knows what they were doing could probably get a blank template up and running in a few hours, but getting it to look right with all your content is more of a task. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

I'm on The Knot now. It sucks because since I just started with them I don't have the reviews that others do on there and don't get the traffic that I want. Reviews :argh:

Constructively, that's not really good justification. If you're convinced that you're losing a good chunk of business because your site isn't up to par, why not spend the money on it to get it where it needs to be? So what if you're a single op? If you were booked as much as you wanted to be you wouldn't have posted about improving your site to capture some of the business you are perceiving your missing out on... I understand $1,000 is alot of money to spend, (not give up) but if spending that makes you 10x that, it doesn't take a financial analyst to know thats a smart investment.

Okay, maybe the justification is not good, so I'll rephrase it... I can't AFFORD much more than that right now. The business account is under a grand now due to a fall off in bookings. (1 left in April, 2 in May, 2 in June) I'm going to have to dip into my own savings account.

Houdini823
04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Nick is right. Putting it all together will take more than 2 days even with all your content already existing. I've build a few sites, some of everything and it still takes time even with a template to start. With a CMS site you're going to need a dedicated person to keep it together. They are easily hacked to do some file permissions needed for it work. They are also harder to update/modify since everything is PHP CSS dependant.

If you want to save money and don't mind that there might be someone with a similar website layout, go to template monster and find a template you like. Paying someone to modify the template is cheaper than having them build one. This is where all your existing information and pictures will come in handy. If I wasn't busy I would have been able to do it for you within your budget but I have a couple projects I'm working on now.

I consider my website above average (www.823entertainment.com in need of up******), there might be something there that you like.

Here are some artist websites I've built
www.mauriceonline.net (Wordpress)
www.iamkvictoria.com (Wordpress)
www.rayanthonymusic.com (flash)
www.joyjonline.com (under construction but will be HTML with a separate site for blogging)

wilson
04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
First off, I know NOTHING about web design. I've never, nor will I ever, have/had a website. I DO like looking at other DJ's websites though. I like this website http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.co/ . I think the reason is because I can just scroll down and see pretty much everything I need or want to know without clicking any links (make sense?). Has pics/videos/number/packages/etc... all right there. Then, if you want to dig deeper, you can click the links. I don't think anything is wrong with yours though, either. But, it just seems like the other one has a certain flow and balance of enough pics/info without too much also. Hope that makes sense?

Sween
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Nick is right. Putting it all together will take more than 2 days even with all your content already existing. I've build a few sites, some of everything and it still takes time even with a template to start. With a CMS site you're going to need a dedicated person to keep it together. They are easily hacked to do some file permissions needed for it work. They are also harder to update/modify since everything is PHP CSS dependant.

If you want to save money and don't mind that there might be someone with a similar website layout, go to template monster and find a template you like. Paying someone to modify the template is cheaper than having them build one. This is where all your existing information and pictures will come in handy. If I wasn't busy I would have been able to do it for you within your budget but I have a couple projects I'm working on now.

I consider my website above average (www.823entertainment.com in need of up******), there might be something there that you like.

Here are some artist websites I've built
www.mauriceonline.net (Wordpress)
www.iamkvictoria.com (Wordpress)
www.rayanthonymusic.com (flash)
www.joyjonline.com (under construction but will be HTML with a separate site for blogging)

FYI... my browser stopped me from visiting the first one (maurice) due to a trojan alert.

Advice taken.

First off, I know NOTHING about web design. I've never, nor will I ever, have/had a website. I DO like looking at other DJ's websites though. I like this website http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.co/ . I think the reason is because I can just scroll down and see pretty much everything I need or want to know without clicking any links (make sense?). Has pics/videos/number/packages/etc... all right there. Then, if you want to dig deeper, you can click the links. I don't think anything is wrong with yours though, either. But, it just seems like the other one has a certain flow and balance of enough pics/info without too much also. Hope that makes sense?

I agree that that site is more or less my target example.

I think I got another idea as a last ditch effort. I own a different account with Webs. I think I might try to rebuild the site through them one last time before committing to hire someone (since I am realizing it is going to be even more expensive). I think if I put in enough time I might be able to make one of their templates work. It may take me several weeks, but I will come back here. The good thing about having the separate account is I can build it without taking the other site down. The bad part is I will have to move the site when I'm done (which means dealing with their customer service, booo).

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
FYI... my browser stopped me from visiting the first one (maurice) due to a trojan alert.

Same here..

@ OP:

Add videos of lighting in action, to lighting page.

Also, your site needs an update for sure. Needs a modern touch, which to me brings a more professional feel to any company at this point in time.

And stay away from full flash site. :blank:

EDIT//

You must add a photo carousel to the main page. Ppl love scrolling HD pics and it's sure to hold their attention longer, as the wait for more pics. Seriously.

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Paid them another $130 a few days ago. Dumb mistake. I've got them for 2 more years. :facepalm: to me.

I am allowed to use their Sitebuilder or go 100% CSS. That is all. They will not give me my own coding unless I change my site to all CSS.

What's your price and do you have examples?

Go all CSS.. Any wordpress template you like can be redone with CSS and some Java/jQuery. No need for the blogging feature, so should be easy.

Houdini823
04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I build the site but its up to the customer to maintain. I will let them know. This is the issue I was mentining earlier about CMS (Wordpress) being easily hacked without dedicated support.

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Go all CSS.. Any wordpress template you like can be redone with CSS and some Java/jQuery. No need for the blogging feature, so should be easy.

I'd keep the blog if possible. Could be useful for marketing efforts.

Not to hijack, but if anyone reading this is good with web stuff, and has time for a project (yes, I'll pay you) please contact me as I need site help too! (take care of Sween first though!)

LiteTrix
04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Here's some really good ones in my opinion:

http://www.stewardsproductions.com
http://www.absoluteevents.biz/

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Here's some really good ones in my opinion:

Pauses ever few seconds while playing the animation. And if you're going to do a full flash site, it can be done with CSS + HTML, especially that one. very basic layout.

This one is cool and the pic carousel is nice. Not easily done with Java, so Flash needed for that effect.
No need to the blog/new and twitter feeds at the bottom though. I would get rid of those or add a minimal feed in the footer, squeezing the text a bit to the left and adding a box on the right of it.

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I'd keep the blog if possible. Could be useful for marketing efforts.

Good point, but not unless he uses it. If not, ppl who visit will see that he's been inactive for however long, so you need to post at least weekly with something.

EDIT: Or maybe get ride of date stamp. that would work.

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, getting rid of the date stamp would work. I'm not super active on my blog, but I do know that certain posts have brought me traffic. I also know that I read other people's blogs that are in the industry.

LiteTrix
04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I should also note that I know both owners of those company websites I listed above and their both literally booming with business. Another thing I should note is that Brandon's website (StewardsProductions.com) wasn't always that nice. It wasn't totally disorganized or anything like that but it wasn't as clean as his current site and believe it or not he was still doing very well as far as business goes. I feel like clients care more about the content you put on your website. Examples are how things are written, worded, and clarity of pictures. Having a flashy website is nice and all but if things don't make sense or flow their not going to be confident in booking you. In all honestly that's just my opinion and I really don't think feel like any of that applies to Chris but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Another thing is the economy. Right before you raised your rates by $100, was business good? If so maybe you should consider lowering each package or your rates by $50 unless you would really be taking a hit by doing that. That way your still making $50 more per event than you would have been a year ago. Another thing that comes to mind is that maybe your rates were at just the highest dollar amount for DJ's in your area and when you raised them people compared your rates to your competition and decided to go with the competition because they really didn't see the difference between you and the competition.

As far as pictures go, I'd be willing to send you some of mine to let you borrow until you get someone to take professional ones. I'd only do this because I know your legit and take this business seriously. Let me know bro!

DJStevieRay
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
And then feel free to look at my competition and tell me what they do better or worse:
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com
http://www.aroyalweddingdj.com/
http://www.evansdj.com/
http://www.djchoice.com/
http://www.billscheivert.com/
http://www.botdjs.com/
http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.com/
http://www.thepartyexpressdjs.com/
http://marcfisherentertainment.com/

Rep for all help. (And I've got 4 stars! Wooohoo!)

Sween, I fixed your post here^ I added the only competition you should be worried about as the top two ;)

PS. Everyone who helps Sween will get Negs from me, as our markets overlap ;) lol

Sween
04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Sween, I fixed your post here^ I added the only competition you should be worried about as the top two ;)

PS. Everyone who helps Sween will get Negs from me, as our markets overlap ;) lol

I get the top one, ha ha. But DEFINITELY not worried about A Royal Idiot.

You are Poconos right? So we probably overlap in Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, am I right? Don't worry, I rarely get jobs up that way... I did the Candlelight in Easton last year. I do a lot in New Hope/Lambertville/Stockton/Lahaska area though... do you come down that far?

DJStevieRay
04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I get some in the Lansdale area, that's about as far as I go South, although I am talking to a lead from New Hope now.

Most of my stuff is Allentown/Bethlehem to Stroudsburg, I'm kind of right in between them.

Sween
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I get some in the Lansdale area, that's about as far as I go South, although I am talking to a lead from New Hope now.

Most of my stuff is Allentown/Bethlehem to Stroudsburg, I'm kind of right in between them.

Now Lansdale is my territory buddy... Marjeanes? You can have Stroudsburg. One of my favorite places to work is Holly Hedge in New Hope... I do a bunch there.

DJStevieRay
04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I have done 2 in Lansdale in the last decade, both at this old farmhouse type venue. They have a couple of reception areas, and I remember I was setup in a silo that was part of the reception hall.

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 09:47 PM
PA is my next target market to enter. :ninja:

windspeed36
04-16-2012, 10:07 PM
PA is my next target market to enter. :ninja:

The jump is huge! Prepare to spend big :P

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 11:18 PM

Sorry, didn't follow that one... what did you mean?

windspeed36
04-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Unless I've got the pre-text wrong, I'm assuming you're looking to move into the PA market? As in catering bands ect? The requirements for running the PA for a live band are completely different compared to that of a DJ. Lot's more mics, cable, odd's and ends (DI's, cab-grabbers), stands... the list goes on..

Nick_EventPro
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Unless I've got the pre-text wrong, I'm assuming you're looking to move into the PA market? As in catering bands ect? The requirements for running the PA for a live band are completely different compared to that of a DJ. Lot's more mics, cable, odd's and ends (DI's, cab-grabbers), stands... the list goes on..

PA= Pennsylvania in the united states. The primary market where Stevie and Sween operate. I'm in MD, just south of them. I said that as a joke because they were jabbing about turf wars. =)

I've got a decent amount of PA equipment, but I don't have the desire to move into providing for bands just yet. I really like the DJ game.

windspeed36
04-16-2012, 11:50 PM
PA= Pennsylvania in the united states. The primary market where Stevie and Sween operate. I'm in MD, just south of them. I said that as a joke because they were jabbing about turf wars. =)

I've got a decent amount of PA equipment, but I don't have the desire to move into providing for bands just yet. I really like the DJ game.

whoops :P, well good luck anyway

RodneyL
04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Here's a question...

What is the perfect DJ website???

I really want to see it. Some one on here? Some random DJ? Let's get some examples of the PERFECT DJ website...

Obviously I will not "copy" it... but use it as a model.

http://bunndjcompany.com/ This guy is one of the biggest in my state, NC. He is in the triangle area and has like 8-10 DJ's under his umbrella. His site is close to perfect for me. I believe a big reason I like it so much is the great pictures he uses. Really seems like people are having fun at his gigs from the moment you click the site.

knuhkles
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Omg.. people these websites are awful.. ok your in luck.. i design websites for a living.. ive been reading everyones posts... and like always there are some really good tips and some awful tips..
lets go over some things first.

Quick CheatSheet to build your own website

1. Get a good url..the url by rule of thumb should be no more than 3 syllables and should be quick and easy.. (ill go more in depth why in another post)

2. Get hosting...GatorHost is the best...(Ive used 100's of diffrent hosts for my clients.. (*oh and Godaddy sucks..stay away) use this link (http://secure.hostgator.com/~affiliat/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=knuhkles) and use this coupon code that i made just for djforum users mobiledjs12 and itll give you 25% off..

3. get the cheapest plan... the longer you host the cheaper the price and in my opinion the better... Fire Webs, and anyone else that does that instant website junk.. they all suck and there all a rip off .. keep the cash :)

4. Install CMS through the dashboard (i highly recommend Wordpress if your new).. Drupal, joomla, and the million other cms's can be a little much for people who dont know code (css, php, mysql, jquery)

5. just google free wordpress themes.. theres thousands of free themes or if you want to get a really professional page get a "Premium Wordpress theme" from themeforest, woothemes, ect... (again google premium themes) ... stay away from thememonster unless you want to pay some serious cash.. it can get pricey

6. follow the instructions which came with the theme and install it

7. get familiar with word press.. just Google learn word press and watch you tube clicks on it... even go to wordpress.com and look at the content

8. Get the site finalized and start promoting (SEO.. Search engine optimization).. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET NOTICED...(just google seo and learn about it)

9. STAY AWAY FROM FLASH....(i always see this on pages... the future is mobile WITHOUT flash.. get into html5 to show sideshows and videos...(its the future).. bc ipads, iphones and alot of mobile devices do not use flash

10. If you get stuck just message me.. ill probably make a post on this because its SOOOO important..

GUYS THIS IS THE FUTURE OF BUSINESS.. Yellow pages are gone and the web is growing bigger and bigger... GET IN while its still young... i could write about the importance all day but this is a quick setup guide.. hope it helps

If you guys need a great website and dont want to deal with it at all ill offer you a full website for under $499... oh and you can pay in increments (i understand :))... you wont beat that price for a professional website designer.. But its only for you guys.. .i cant help anyone else that isnt part of the djforums family :)Email me at highdefpro.blanco@gmail.com

Drewbdo
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Hey Nick,

He means the drive from Maryland to PA (Perth, Australia), is very long and with gas prices the way they are... you shouldn't try to compete in his market. :lol:

Nick_EventPro
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Hey Nick,

He means the drive from Maryland to PA (Perth, Australia), is very long and with gas prices the way they are... you shouldn't try to compete in his market. :lol:

Haha, fortunately my cargo plane is standing by... :ninja:

Back on topic... I'd love to see more examples of websites you guys think are really good. I'm with Sween as I'm trying to really take my site to the next level. I have some cool ideas that I want to implement and just don't have the technical skills to do it and finding someone reliable is so difficult.

knuhkles
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Haha, fortunately my cargo plane is standing by... :ninja:

Back on topic... I'd love to see more examples of websites you guys think are really good. I'm with Sween as I'm trying to really take my site to the next level. I have some cool ideas that I want to implement and just don't have the technical skills to do it and finding someone reliable is so difficult.

what ideas are you trying to do?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nick_EventPro
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
what ideas are you trying to do?

I sent you an e-mail.

If you didn't get it, email me at nick.eventprolive@gmail.com

Thanks!

knuhkles
04-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I sent you an e-mail.

If you didn't get it, email me at nick.eventprolive@gmail.com

Thanks!

Ok...ill check

DJNR
04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Ok...ill check

Tapatalk for the win!

knuhkles
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Tapatalk for the win!

Of course ;)

Sween
04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
WOW.

Great info. Rep. And thanks to the guys who have messaged me with offers.

So, my brother in law has a friend who does this stuff too... and I'm going to pick his brain a little. I am not using him for design b/c he's already told me he's too busy (or he would have to charge me like a normal client).

Is getting WordPress setup really just that easy? I'm going to talk to this guy and maybe I can talk him into coming over for an hour and getting me started.

If I can possibly do it myself I may really try to go that route. (Control freak) I will let you know if I fail.

knuhkles
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
WOW.

Great info. Rep. And thanks to the guys who have messaged me with offers.

So, my brother in law has a friend who does this stuff too... and I'm going to pick his brain a little. I am not using him for design b/c he's already told me he's too busy (or he would have to charge me like a normal client).

Is getting WordPress setup really just that easy? I'm going to talk to this guy and maybe I can talk him into coming over for an hour and getting me started.

If I can possibly do it myself I may really try to go that route. (Control freak) I will let you know if I fail.

You should be fine

Sween
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
You should be fine

I'll be fine I'm sure... but looks like I can't transfer things for a few months since I just renewed with Webs... unless I want to lose a year.

WHY, WHY, WHY do I always have to do things wrong 10x before I do them right?

knuhkles
04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll be fine I'm sure... but looks like I can't transfer things for a few months since I just renewed with Webs... unless I want to lose a year.

WHY, WHY, WHY do I always have to do things wrong 10x before I do them right?

Lol... Its ok... Just learn from it..that's all

cuttingedgedjs
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
FYI... breaking down the competition...

These two are the most popular locals:
http://www.silversound.com/
(also national brands such as Scratch, The Pros, and Complete which are all very popular around here to the lemming brides)

This guy is my closest competitor (a few blocks away from me) and he is ULTRA cheap:

These guys are also near me but have a better brand:
http://www.eastcoasteventgroup.com/ <---The Target

^^East Coast & Cutting Edge are usually the two I compete with the most (both multi-op). 4Most is a little cheaper but is single-op. I would maybe pick East Coast as my target website to get on par with.

That http://www.cuttingedgedjs.com site sucks. LOL

DJHoss
04-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Maybe update the links at the bottom of the home page, the ones that link to wedding or party services? The page was moved from the directory /partydjservices.htm to /parties.htm

Maybe also update the link under the iPod DJ on the FAQ page, as at the ADJA it is not a page anymore. (dead link) In fact, all of the ADJA links seem to be dead on your site (404 not found). Update :tup:

One picture is missing also on the Meet the DJ's page (error loading object)

Other than that it looks pretty clean and certainly not crappy at all. Keep it up :tup:

ganddy
09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Looks like your site is perfectly working now. I just checked it. https://imagicon.info/cat/6-4/1.gif

DJAkash
10-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Wordings and format are all decent Sween. But the color scheme and background is not of the classy type which I am sure you would like, it's like getting a piece of nice white paper, and using a high lighter to write out for sale on a car. The background should be one piece, maybe have a semi transparent background, and rounding the navigation and borders look elegant. It will definitely attract and come off as a much more elegant upscale service.

iammongo
10-24-2015, 06:58 AM
You guys do realize that this post is 3 years old.
I could be wrong, but I haven't seen Sween stop by this forum in quite a long time.