PDA

View Full Version : QSC GX5 Review

DJ Sunshine
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Specs:

31lbs.
500Wx2 at 8Ω
700Wx2 at 4Ω
350Wx2 at 2Ω (never really understood this, but I've never run a system at 2Ω anyways)
Built-in satellite crossover set at 100Hz. Channel 1 is LF, Channel 2 is HF

XLR/TRS/RCA inputs
Speakon, 1/4in, banana plug, and raw wire binding post outputs

I have owned this amp for approximately 4 years. At the time of purchase I did not know much about sound reinforcement companies, but in hindsight I'm glad I went with QSC. They call the GX series their "budget amp" line, however I honestly cannot understand this statement, as you get a lot of great and reliable amp for your money. A 6-year warranty backed by QSC should further reinforce this statement. It initially powered 2 Peavey PR15 speakers in 2 of my bands. This was also back when I knew jack shit about audio, and would routinely clip the amp while running it on max the whole time. Even after this, the thing would barely be warm. I am now using this to power two 500W 12" top cabinets running in parallel with a 4Ω load and two 700W 15" subs running in parallel, again running a 4Ω load with the crossover engaged. I use this for small to medium-sized gigs of about 100-500 people, and I have never run into a situation in which I felt underpowered (while indoors of course, outdoors is a different story). For the smaller house parties I've done, this system has absolutely blown the house down, and I have never had one in which the police didn't get called eventually. The speakers I'm using are pretty crappy budget ones too, so I can only imagine what this amp would sound like with some quality 15" speakers and 18" subs.

If you're looking for a quality amp with a respectable name behind it, this certainly is not an amp that should be passed up. Possibly the only issue some might have with it is its lack of a bridging option. However, the built-in crossover is in my opinion a better option and I have not felt limited by my inability to bridge the amp. If you're looking for a rock-solid no-nonsense amp with practical features and an unquestionable reliability, the GX5 will serve you incredibly well.

jayhwk
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Possibly the only issue some might have with it is its lack of a bridging option. However, the built-in crossover is in my opinion a better option and I have not felt limited by my inability to bridge the amp.

I actually like this on an entry level amp - it means less burned up loudspeakers! I suppose if was making a living reconing speakers, I'd want it changed...

A 6 year warranty is very impressive for a $300 piece of electronics equipment. I haven't used the GX series myself, but every QSC amp I've used has been rock solid.

DJ Sunshine
04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I actually like this on an entry level amp - it means less burned up loudspeakers! I suppose if was making a living reconing speakers, I'd want it changed...

A 6 year warranty is very impressive for a $300 piece of electronics equipment. I haven't used the GX series myself, but every QSC amp I've used has been rock solid.

My thoughts on all points exactly! And let me tell you, the GX series is no exception to the unstoppable tank-like build of QSC amps. Aside from running a system at too low an impedance, I'm trying to understand how one would go about damaging/overheating this amp. After 5 hours straight on full blast, the damn thing is barely warm!