PDA

View Full Version : Cdj 900 with external drive and rekordbox

prODucer
04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
So I have a pair of cdj 900s hooked up to an external hard drive with all my music. If I want to put cue points or loops into my tracks using rekordbox would I plug the external into the Mac to do this? If I made changes to music from the external with rekordbox, will the changes transfer to what I see on my players once I plug the external back into them? Or Am I way off?? Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks. I just don't get how everything u do in rekordbox gets transferred onto the cdj???

prODucer
04-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I told my wife that I posted this and had no replies yet. She looked at me a simply said, "read the manual". Should I? Or would that help? lol

dj daywalker
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
you have to import all of your music into rekordbox, then you create your cue points and export to the harddrive. Rekordbox will rewrite the songs to the drive so you may want to copy all of the songs from your harddrive to your computer and then delete the songs from your harddrive. Then import the tracks from your PC to rekordbox, and export from rekordbox. Or just use USB drives. CHeck out the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB drive on amazon

you can create cue points from the cdj but only with rekordbox music. Also Im not sure if you can load cue points or loops on the 900, might just be the 2000.

prODucer
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks man. I watched a couple YouTube vids and figured out how to do a few things. You are right tho. I am going to have to put all my music back on the Mac as it looks as though rekordbox duplicates the tracks you make changes to. I threw a nice loop on a track in rekordbox, exported the song and boom...the track was there with the loop intact! This is very important because the loops I do on the fly with the cdjs always seem off. It's not like serato where I'd hit a button on my dicer and get a perfectly crafted loop that stays in sync for ages!! Making my loops in rekordbox seems to work quite the same. I beat matched the loop I created in rekordbox with another track and it stayed in sync for ever! Lovely!

One thing I can't seem to figure out is how you link the rekordbox straight to the cdj? One video I watched showed an icon of the cdj on the bottom of rekordbox and other hardware connected to the computer. How do u do that?

Thanks again for the help. Appreciated.

dj daywalker
04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
you use an ethernet cable with a hub. Yeah rekordbox creates a beatgrid so even if you do the loops manually they will always be perfect

Wakka
04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
you have to import all of your music into rekordbox, then you create your cue points and export to the harddrive. Rekordbox will rewrite the songs to the drive so you may want to copy all of the songs from your harddrive to your computer and then delete the songs from your harddrive. Then import the tracks from your PC to rekordbox, and export from rekordbox. Or just use USB drives. CHeck out the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB drive on amazon

you can create cue points from the cdj but only with rekordbox music. Also Im not sure if you can load cue points or loops on the 900, might just be the 2000.

Wow those drives look nice ! They are really low profile, you have used them in 2000's/900's with no problems?

dj daywalker
04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I use them in my 350's. I actually just have one now but am going to order 2 more. Writing to them from rekordbox was about twice as fast some not so small hp drives I have.

prODucer
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah I'll be grabbing a hub in the near future! I love this rekordbox! It's like having the most important features of a dvs without the actual DVS. Nothing better than not staring at a computer screen and being bored while mixing! Can't believe I was so anti pioneer for so long! Did my first attempt at a mix just now. Definitely a bit rough but damn was it fun!!!

moyo wilde
04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
quick question, i want to prep tracks in rekord box in case i use the cdj's. are you guys saying that rekord box will overwrite my original files?

what i got from what you guys are saying is that it will overwrite my original files if i use the same file for saving that my original files are in. if so can i just save to another file on my external drive? and that will allow me to keep my original files.

i have aready edited my tracks so that they have the intro/outro that i want and don't want to lose that.

prODucer
04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I think it does moyo but Im not 100 percent sure. Id like to know this too because I dont want doubles of all my tracks..

Wakka
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I use them in my 350's. I actually just have one now but am going to order 2 more. Writing to them from rekordbox was about twice as fast some not so small hp drives I have.

cool dude, i just ordered 2 of them thanks!

ampnation
04-19-2012, 10:18 AM
CHeck out the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB drive on amazon

What I'm wondering is, I see this USB drive has security software. Do you reformat the drive to a) prevent the software from blocking access and b) free up the room the software was occupying, before using it on a media player like a CDJ. I'm using the Denon HD2500 at the moment and considering other drives, but figure the same principle should apply AFAIK.

prODucer
04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Can anyone show me an example on the FUture Shop website of one of these ethernet hubs please. All I can see are usb hubs. Thanks.

Wakka
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Can anyone show me an example on the FUture Shop website of one of these ethernet hubs please. All I can see are usb hubs. Thanks.

Probably because they are commonly referred to as a 'Switch' such as:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+5-Port+Gigabit+Ethernet+Switch/6840341.p?id=1093386322984&skuId=6840341&st=ethernet%20switch&cp=1&lp=1

prODucer
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Ahh thanks man. Gonna grab one of these this weekend me thinks!