PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new sub to round out my sound

DJJDGator
04-15-2012, 04:24 PM
What do you guys think about these subs

Yorkville ls720 http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=2&type=29&id=369

Yamaha dxs12 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxs/dxs12/?mode=model

Yamaha dxs15 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxs/dxs15/?mode=model

QSC Ksub http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/series_specifications.php

I will be using this sub for smaller gigs with my rcf 310a. I have a pair of jbl prx 718s that i use for larger gigs. I think im leaning towards the yamaha dxs12 because its the perfect size with a built in crossover.

ampnation
04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I think the KSub is overpriced for what it is. The Yamahas are too new to comment on.

Is size and weight your main consideration? It would seem so since you include the KSub in the options. Is this because of transportation limitations? wanting to present a less in your face look to your rig at events?

The 720 is respected for a lower output sub. Some Yorkvilles are available in carpeted, or for a bit more, texture coating and I would opt of texture coating. I don't think the 720 is available with coating in which case I would consider the NX200S.

However, consider going with an RCF Sub 702-AS which is under 60 lbs, small, and perfectly matched to your ART310A tops IMO. with built in crossover and while more expensive than the 720, is the same or less than the KSub which lacks a crossover if I'm not mistaken.

DJJDGator
04-15-2012, 05:03 PM
I think the KSub is overpriced for what it is. The Yamahas are too new to comment on.

Is size and weight your main consideration? It would seem so since you include the KSub in the options. Is this because of transportation limitations? wanting to present a less in your face look to your rig at events?

The 720 is respected for a lower output sub. Some Yorkvilles are available in carpeted, or for a bit more, texture coating and I would opt of texture coating. I don't think the 720 is available with coating in which case I would consider the NX200S.

However, consider going with an RCF Sub 702-AS which is under 60 lbs, small, and perfectly matched to your ART310A tops IMO. with built in crossover and while more expensive than the 720, is the same or less than the KSub which lacks a crossover if I'm not mistaken.

yes size and weight are my main concerns.

DYM
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I would take a look at the RCF subs then, if I were you. I went with a big LS801PB (the textured coating on the 720's big brother) with my 312As and it's great. If you are looking for a "full musical sounding" low end, definitely check out RCF.. "Boom Boom Rumble Loud", Yorkville, from my experience.

mufutau55
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Yorkville NX720P with Black Ultrathane or the carpeted version which is LS720P and slitghly less than the NX720P. Same SUB though.

Mufutau

Al Poulin
04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
The only one of those subs that actually has true crossover that sends a high passed output to the tops would be the RCF. The Yorkville and the Yamaha have low pass filters which basically controls how high up in frequency the sub goes (generally set lower in frequency for bigger tops and higher for smaller tops).

I wasn`t impressed AT ALL with the Yamaha DSX subs. I loved the size, weight and price - but when I heard them I instantly realized how much better my LS720P sounds. The Yamaha are loud and thumpy, but don't sound like subs to me... The Ksub reviews have been mediocre at best. I would say, go for the RCF or Yorkville if sound quality is important to you. In either case, you may want to add a second one later if you play at higher levels, since the 310As can outrun either of these subs. ;) You might be happy with a single one though, just try to set it up near a wall or shooting in a corner to get the most SPL from it.

Al

DJJDGator
04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
The only one of those subs that actually has true crossover that sends a high passed output to the tops would be the RCF. The Yorkville and the Yamaha have low pass filters which basically controls how high up in frequency the sub goes (generally set lower in frequency for bigger tops and higher for smaller tops).

I wasn`t impressed AT ALL with the Yamaha DSX subs. I loved the size, weight and price - but when I heard them I instantly realized how much better my LS720P sounds. The Yamaha are loud and thumpy, but don't sound like subs to me... The Ksub reviews have been mediocre at best. I would say, go for the RCF or Yorkville if sound quality is important to you. In either case, you may want to add a second one later if you play at higher levels, since the 310As can outrun either of these subs. ;) You might be happy with a single one though, just try to set it up near a wall or shooting in a corner to get the most SPL from it.

Al

Al, im just looking to add a little bass to my system when i do smaller gigs (50 to 100 people). I already have a pair of the jbl prx 718s so i will not need to add another anytime soon. Al what didn't you like about the yamaha subs?

Al Poulin
04-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Al, im just looking for add a little bass to my system when i do smaller gigs (50 to 100 people). I already have a pair of the jbl prx 718s so i will not need to add another anytime soon. Al what didn't you like about the yamaha subs?

What I didn't like was the sound. They didn't go low like a sub should. They seemed like they focused most of their energy in the 60-90 hz area... You'd probably get better sound by having a single DXR15 (and engaging the DContour switch) on the ground. It would also give you an extra full range cab as a spare AND its amazing mixer section could come in handy for ceremony duties (before the dance portion of the evening).

Quite simply, the 720P sounds so much better (and like an actual sub)

Al

DJJDGator
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
What I didn't like was the sound. They didn't go low like a sub should. They seemed like they focused most of their energy in the 60-90 hz area... You'd probably get better sound by having a single DXR15 (and engaging the DContour switch) on the ground. It would also give you an extra full range cab as a spare AND its amazing mixer section could come in handy for ceremony duties (before the dance portion of the evening).

Quite simply, the 720P sounds so much better (and like an actual sub)

Al

Al what do you think about this sub.......http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53688&from=googleps

Al Poulin
04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Al what do you think about this sub.......http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53688&from=googleps

Probably ideal for what you're looking to do. I love the weight, the size, the price + the fact that you do get high passed outs too. Made in Italy (DB is a sister company of RCF). For smaller applications, they look like they would be excellent. Don't expect ultra high output and although the specs indicate response down to 42hz, I wouldn't expect strong output below 55hz - but overall they look very good. If you like them enough and need more low frequency still, you can always get a second one at a very good price.

Only negative is that it is a bandpass design (that maximizes output from a small cabinet) so you will notice frequency peaks which are typical in bandpass and give that "on notey" sound. This is the case for the QSC Ksub and Yamaha DSX subs as well.

Al

jayhwk
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
You're going to sacrifice low frequency extension and max SPL for size and weight. If you keep that in mind there are a couple good options out there.

If you've got a high budget, think about the Danley Th-Mini. The Electro-Voice ZxA1sub is similar in specs to the Yamaha DXS12, and if you're looking for something you can carry in one hand, look at the Electro-Voice Sb122.

DJJDGator
04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
You're going to sacrifice low frequency extension and max SPL for size and weight. If you keep that in mind there are a couple good options out there.

If you've got a high budget, think about the Danley Th-Mini. The Electro-Voice ZxA1sub is similar in specs to the Yamaha DXS12, and if you're looking for something you can carry in one hand, look at the Electro-Voice Sb122.

Yes im willing to sacrifice max spl for weight and size, thats why i looking for something other than the jbl prx 718s i already use.

DJ Higgumz
04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Al, im just looking to add a little bass to my system when i do smaller gigs (50 to 100 people)

I was like that, just thinking a little low end is all I need. But then, I fell in love with the bass. I just can't get enough. If I were you I would go with the sub in your budget that goes the lowest. It is easy to build up spl with more cabs as you go, but you can't gain extention as easy when adding cabs

DJJDGator
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I was like that, just thinking a little low end is all I need. But then, I fell in love with the bass. I just can't get enough. If I were you I would go with the sub in your budget that goes the lowest. It is easy to build up spl with more cabs as you go, but you can't gain extention as easy when adding cabs

This addition is mainly for weddings. Most of the weddings i do, people aren't really into the bass thing.

SummitAudioDJ
04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Do you only own a pair of RCF 310a's for tops? If so you may be better of getting a pair of 312A's for those weddings without a sub and larger gigs and save the 310a's for smaller gigs, side fill, or ceremonies. I often just use my 312's for weddings without a sub. They can handle the lows quite well. Just as good as any single 12" sub you could buy.

DJJDGator
04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Do you only own a pair of RCF 310a's for tops? If so you may be better of getting a pair of 312A's for those weddings without a sub and larger gigs and save the 310a's for smaller gigs, side fill, or ceremonies. I often just use my 312's for weddings without a sub. They can handle the lows quite well. Just as good as any single 12" sub you could buy.

I do own a pair of 312a too, but i am starting to think that nothing can replace the sound of a dedicated sub to help round out your sound.

Al Poulin
04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I do own a pair of 312a too, but i am starting to think that nothing can replace the sound of a dedicated sub to help round out your sound.

I would have to agree with this. Although you can simply use a set of full range tops on stands for smaller weddings and sound perfectly fine (many DJs do - myself included on occasion) it ALWAYS sounds better with a sub handling the low frequencies. That's what they are designed to do : to fill in those low frequencies tops can't quite produce effectively when up on stands.

Some subs are better at this than others of course - some go lower (which usually requires a bigger cabinet+bigger woofer+more power), are more natural in their response etc.. BUT if you want small and light, you generally sacrifice some of that response and depth.

Al