PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Ableton Live Projects From PC to Mac

Lower Fifth
04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey guys. I just got my MBP and I will be using it as my main laptop for music. However, I am coming from a PC and had a few questions.

1. I make hip-hop beats and most of them contain chopped up samples put into a drum rack template i created. So when I transfer them over, will I loose editing capability because the samples are in a different location/chopped up?
2. How should I go about transferring my projects? Is it as simple as just dragging and dropping or is there certain steps i should take?

Thanks in advance!

Jalapeno
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
You need to make a completely new folder. THen you need to save as(to new folder) to all your projects you want to move. Then after you click save as, click collect all and save. Then move the entire folder over to your new computer. If you fuck up any of these steps it will ruin your projects. Also, for some reason ableton will sometimes lose samples when you move it and you have to control J all your samples that youve chopped(as audio, not midi) so that they merge into just one clip.

Atomisk
04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
You need to make a completely new folder. THen you need to save as(to new folder) to all your projects you want to move. Then after you click save as, click collect all and save. Then move the entire folder over to your new computer. If you fuck up any of these steps it will ruin your projects. Also, for some reason ableton will sometimes lose samples when you move it and you have to control J all your samples that youve chopped(as audio, not midi) so that they merge into just one clip.

^ Pretty much this. Just collect all and save and copy the folder. I regularly bounce project files back and forth between my PC studio Computer and MBP 13". Just make sure you have the same VSTs on both computers.

disparate
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
. Just collect all and save and copy the folder.

Great advice, and advice I wish I'd taken more seriously last time I moved all my stuff to a new computer :cry:

punky
04-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Collect all and save is your friend. Definitely do that. It'll make your Ableton projects HUGE if you have a lot of samples, but it'll maintain their integrity.