PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl vs. Computer Controller?

Kdub
04-15-2012, 12:29 AM
So after looking at a thread I saw a video from DJ Whiplash talking about how not to get a controller cause it's the wrong way to learn because it's not "industry standard". Is it really all that bad to start out on a controller? To me he was kind of a dick about it, expecting me to fork out around 1,000 dollars or so to start out... What do you guys think? Controller or the dick's way?

P.S. Can't I also hook up vinyl turntables to my 4 channel controller as i progress anyways?? :shrug:

Sigma
04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
The short answer is - get whatever gear you like.

Kdub
04-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Man, if only everyone who made videos about gear was like you! Then I wouldn't be callin people names haha thanks for your input

Sigma
04-15-2012, 12:47 AM
All I will say is that I think it benefits you as a DJ if you learn "the hard way". Don't rely on auto-levelling, auto-sync, auto-whatever. Get the fundamentals down and you can mix on anything. Take shortcuts and you can't. You can't take shortcuts with vinyl, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

Of course that's just my opinion, but it's not an opinion I've just plucked out of thin air, nor am I saying it cos that's how I learned. I honestly think it's the best way to learn because, as I said, then you can mix with any gear you like, plus you feel more connected to what you're doing and you'll find it more rewarding in the long run.

Kdub
04-15-2012, 12:56 AM
All I will say is that I think it benefits you as a DJ if you learn "the hard way". Don't rely on auto-levelling, auto-sync, auto-whatever. Get the fundamentals down and you can mix on anything. Take shortcuts and you can't. You can't take shortcuts with vinyl, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

Of course that's just my opinion, but it's not an opinion I've just plucked out of thin air, nor am I saying it cos that's how I learned. I honestly think it's the best way to learn because, as I said, then you can mix with any gear you like, plus you feel more connected to what you're doing and you'll find it more rewarding in the long run.

Yea I get what your saying, I have a friend who's dad owned one of vegas's largest dj compnay's maybe i shoud hit him up on the technics he is selling. But I hav a question, with the controller, i can still hook up a technics to it can't I? Or is that a no no and I should just ditch it and get a mixer?

Kdub
04-15-2012, 12:57 AM
And when I say ditch it and get a mixer I mean a mixer to go with the technics

Sigma
04-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Regarding the question about hooking up Technics - I don't know. If you do decide to go with regular turntables though, I think it's probably better just to get a regular mixer.

Is there a particular set up that you're attracted to? Were you thinking of buying the controller just cos it's a cheaper way to get into DJing? Are you sure that DJing is for you? Do you have friends that DJ so that you can try out their gear, or maybe if there's a local DJ store, can you try out different set ups in there to get a feel for them?

Personally, I think if you know that DJing is for you, then go for the set up that you think you'll enjoy using the most and don't worry too much about the price. Save up over time if you have to. If you get high end gear that's just what you want, then it'll perform well and last a long time.

Dave Daschofsky
04-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Most of DJing is playing the right song at the right time, the technique of mixing is really secondary. You can play all the right songs without mixing anything and still rock the crowd. You could mix everything perfectly and not have anyone dance. If you're looking at playing in clubs you should learn on the gear they have in clubs, that usually means technics 1200s or CDJs and a pioneer mixer.

I look at it a lot like learning the guitar. You can learn how to play on a cheap guitar, when you play on a better one it'll seem a lot easier but with a cheap instrument you'll have a harder time learning and it won't be as much fun.

Phi
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Personally, I think if you know that DJing is for you, then go for the set up that you think you'll enjoy using the most and don't worry too much about the price. Save up over time if you have to. If you get high end gear that's just what you want, then it'll perform well and last a long time.

This.

Also, have you given any thought to the Type of DJ you want to be? Do you just want to mix until sunrise, do you want to spin UG hip-hop with some old-school flare, do you want to be the next mashup maestro? Because all of these share some basic fundamentals, however, may require special skills and/or hardware.

Atomisk
04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Vinyl isn't industry standard either. Vinyl is an outdated medium that is still used by a small minority of DJs in effective club situations. Serato or CDJ-2000s are "industry standard" due to their high levels of compatibility and ability to be well used by almost any Dj.

moyo wilde
04-15-2012, 10:22 AM
did you actually watch the video?

he actually recommended a midi controller and said it was the closest that he knew of to a cdj set up. he is just saying that "if you want to dj in clubs then you should learn to use what the clubs have."

Kdub
04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Regarding the question about hooking up Technics - I don't know. If you do decide to go with regular turntables though, I think it's probably better just to get a regular mixer.

Is there a particular set up that you're attracted to? Were you thinking of buying the controller just cos it's a cheaper way to get into DJing? Are you sure that DJing is for you? Do you have friends that DJ so that you can try out their gear, or maybe if there's a local DJ store, can you try out different set ups in there to get a feel for them?

To answer your questions, yes I know djing is the right thing for me, I have more than enough time on my hands to practice considering I get done with school at the latest at 11. And I am kind of looking for a cheap-ER way to get into djing, I mean I'm sure I could get some equipment from my friend I mentioned earlier but al his gear is about 10 years old and probably beat up from his employees.

sss18734
04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
The skills you learn on your controller will quickly transfer onto other mediums if you need to learn.

I started on controllers, and learned Vinyl/CDJ's just because I wanted to. It really wasn't hard since I knew what was going on.

Get your cheap controller and practice your music - that's the most important thing.

Kdub
04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
The skills you learn on your controller will quickly transfer onto other mediums if you need to learn.

I started on controllers, and learned Vinyl/CDJ's just because I wanted to. It really wasn't hard since I knew what was going on.

Get your cheap controller and practice your music - that's the most important thing.

Sounds good dude, I guess when it comes down to it it's really only about the music and how much I practice.

RDRCK
04-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Vinyl isn't industry standard either. Vinyl is a rad medium that is still used by a small minority of DJs who are super fuckin awesome and are way better than those controller jocks in effective club situations. Serato or CDJ-2000s are "industry standard" due to their high levels of compatibility and ability to be well used by almost any Dj.

Fixed :tup:

:P

zaxl
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
CDJ's are the standard gear that the club owns. if your goal is to be a resident dj at a club, you could benefit from learning on CDJ's. if your goal is to play at underground parties, one-off club gigs, backyard bbq's and whatever else, just get the gear that speaks to you. i've played shows where there was one guy using vinyl, another one using Serato, one using Traktor with a controller, and we all worked out the gear changes and kept the music going. for parties, it's pretty standard to make some equipment changes during the night.

Kdub
04-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Haha don't get me wrong, vinyl is cool and there's nothing to replace it, but you know for a 16 year old kid, I'll start on a controller and decide whether I want to go balls deep or just slightly penetrate the world of djing and build up! ;) :D

Finnish_Fox
04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
To me he was kind of a dick about it, expecting me to fork out around 1,000 dollars or so to start out... What do you guys think? Controller or the dick's way?

Yah... telling you to invest in it if you are passionate about it? What a total dick. :blank:

Kdub
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Yah... telling you to invest in it if you are passionate about it? What a total dick. :blank:
Oh I'm sorry I must not remembering posting and saying I was passionate about it. Idiot.

Kdub
04-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Try reading everyone's posts before giving your two cents out your butt hole.

sss18734
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Wow! That was unnecessarily snappy. lol.

Finnish_Fox
04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh I'm sorry I must not remembering posting and saying I was passionate about it. Idiot.

A) Huh? English please.

B) If you are not passionate about it, GTFO.

Finnish_Fox
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
To answer your questions, yes I know djing is the right thing for me, I have more than enough time on my hands to practice considering I get done with school at the latest at 11. And I am kind of looking for a cheap-ER way to get into djing, I mean I'm sure I could get some equipment from my friend I mentioned earlier but al his gear is about 10 years old and probably beat up from his employees.

...but without passion, you won't amount to anything. Just give up now and save yourself the money and embarrassment.

Finnish_Fox
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Try reading everyone's posts before giving your two cents out your butt hole.

:facepalm:

Good god, another DJ wannabe.

xyloft
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I do not own a controller. so for what it's worth:

in order to hook up techs (or CD tables or other vinyl decks) to your controller you'll need audio inputs. specifically Phono inputs if you want techs. (some other decks can use a line level input). if the controller does not have that, you wont be able to hook it up.

there are various ways to integrate a controller setup to a traditional CD or Vinyl setup setup, but i'm pretty sure it's controller specific. you might want to browse through the setups thread and see if anyones doing what you want to do.

moyo wilde
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
the funny thing about this post, and also happens a lot in IRL, is people having an opinion that they want supported, then no matter how many people disagree, they get that one person to agree and they are happy.

kids back in the 80's were coming up with $1000 dollars to get into djing, and $1000 was worth much more back then.

djdran
04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
to the OP, i started on a controller (NS7), and later moved to turntables... when i moved to turntables, it was pretty easy because i knew the fundamentals of mixing...

My very first experience with turntables was when i was shadowing a DJ at a club, and he's like "can you fill in for me for like 10-15mins while i go on a quck break" and so he basically just left me there to mix and so i dropped a few songs, till he got back (keep in mind, it was pretty early in the night, it wasn't too busy yet).. it was pretty intimi****** at first, but after the first 2-3 songs, i was able to wrap my head around it, and everything was fine from there.

just know this, once you learn the fundamentals of mixing, you can mix on any platform.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I do not own a controller. so for what it's worth:

in order to hook up techs (or CD tables or other vinyl decks) to your controller you'll need audio inputs. specifically Phono inputs if you want techs. (some other decks can use a line level input). if the controller does not have that, you wont be able to hook it up.

there are various ways to integrate a controller setup to a traditional CD or Vinyl setup setup, but i'm pretty sure it's controller specific. you might want to browse through the setups thread and see if anyones doing what you want to do.

Aight cool thanks for the help!

Kdub
04-17-2012, 09:53 AM
...but without passion, you won't amount to anything. Just give up now and save yourself the money and embarrassment.

Dude you really need to learn to read, I guess your school sucked even more than mine, you even posted my quote and no where in there did it say PASSION! It said I knew it was right for me. You just upgraded from idiot to dumbass. CONGRATS! Heres you medal... :stupid:

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Dude you really need to learn to read, I guess your school sucked even more than mine, you even posted my quote and no where in there did it say PASSION! It said I knew it was right for me. You just upgraded from idiot to dumbass. CONGRATS! Heres you medal... :stupid:

...and that is the exact point I am making. Perhaps you should learn to read.

You don't have any passion so why are you wasting your time and money?

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:02 AM
...and that is the exact point I am making. Perhaps you should learn to read.

You don't have any passion so why are you wasting your time and money?

I'm not sure how you do things, but usually you start doing something and over time (even if it's a few days) it turns into a passion. I have a passion for music, not djing... yet.

BurntToast
04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Is it generally looked down upon to involve a laptop in your DJ set up, such as using Traktor or Serato?

I could care less either way, but I could see how the technology would certainly help someone find songs/cues faster, beat match almost instantly, etc. Most of the EDM pros seem to be using just CDJ's and a mixer, but then you see a guy like Porter Robinson using a Traktor S4 and he plays about 35 songs an hour... something that might be difficult with even 4 CDJ's in front of you. I haven't listened to him much but I'm sure he's mastered the skills and just using the technology to take it a step further.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure how you do things, but usually you start doing something and over time (even if it's a few days) it turns into a passion. I have a passion for music, not djing... yet.

...and all I was pointing out was that you called the guy a douche for telling people to invest in their passion and you went all nutso over how you never said anything about passion.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Is it generally looked down upon to involve a laptop in your DJ set up, such as using Traktor or Serato?

I could care less either way, but I could see how the technology would certainly help someone find songs/cues faster, beat match almost instantly, etc. Most of the EDM pros seem to be using just CDJ's and a mixer, but then you see a guy like Porter Robinson using a Traktor S4 and he plays about 35 songs an hour... something that might be difficult with even 4 CDJ's in front of you. I haven't listened to him much but I'm sure he's mastered the skills and just using the technology to take it a step further.

I don't think it's looked down upon, I think everything will eventually be computerized so why not learn to dj on a computer, but apparently the older dj's who are hard core into turntables or vinyl or what not look down on it cause it's not "classic" or "real djing" but you know who gives a damn?! They'll be dead soon! And just like you said, I could care less what people think. Which is why I'm in this arguement with whats his face and the chink that budded into our arguement. But IDGAF! :)

BurntToast
04-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think it's looked down upon, I think everything will eventually be computerized so why not learn to dj on a computer, but apparently the older dj's who are hard core into turntables or vinyl or what not look down on it cause it's not "classic" or "real djing" but you know who gives a damn?! They'll be dead soon! And just like you said, I could care less what people think. Which is why I'm in this arguement with whats his face and the chink that budded into our arguement. But IDGAF! :)

I'm not sure anyone's taking you seriously if that's how you're trying to get your point across.

And considering DJing = Disc Jockeying, I can understand why people who have gone through the effort of learning the skills are critical of people clicking a start button on 2 MP3s and hitting a "sync" button to get them in time.

I'm not really on one side or another at this point, but I wanted to learn to DJ, which is why I got gear that requires no software.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Depends on the scene. There are scenes that have adopted digital platforms (CDJs) but you'd be laughed out of the club if you opened up a laptop.

the chink

Nice use of a racial epithet.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
...and all I was pointing out was that you called the guy a douche for telling people to invest in their passion and you went all nutso over how you never said anything about passion.

Going nuts would be tracking you down and having this arguement in person, honestly I could care less, all I asked was which people on this forum preferred and you didn't even answer the question, you just decided to be a sarcastic ass prick and keep on argueing with me. And why would you care in the first place if I called the dude a dick? I doubt he's your friend or you even know him so why would you care about my opinion, it's not yours so STFU.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure anyone's taking you seriously if that's how you're trying to get your point across.
That's why I include "IDGAF" at the end.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Going nuts would be tracking you down and having this arguement in person, honestly I could care less, all I asked was which people on this forum preferred and you didn't even answer the question, you just decided to be a sarcastic ass prick and keep on argueing with me. And why would you care in the first place if I called the dude a dick? I doubt he's your friend or you even know him so why would you care about my opinion, it's not yours so STFU.

Could care less so you ranted and raved and called someone a chink? Riiiiiiiight.

You came on here whining about the advice someone else gave you... and the advice they gave you is pretty much what any professional would tell you - invest in your passion. Yet, you called him a douche for it... nice job. I don't care what you called whom... I was pointing out your idiotic and pious attitude.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
That's why I include "IDGAF" at the end.

So why are you here asking for opinions you don't give a fuck about?

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
And considering DJing = Disc Jockeying, I can understand why people who have gone through the effort of learning the skills are critical of people clicking a start button on 2 MP3s and hitting a "sync" button to get them in time.

He's not interested in DJing. Just another one trying to look cool or impress some girl... looking for the shortest route to the pay dirt.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
So why are you here asking for opinions you don't give a fuck about?
I don't give fuck about what you think of me, I'm open to hear your opinion on gear.

BurntToast
04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I see a lot of laptops at the smaller clubs/bars nowadays, FWIW.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Could care less so you ranted and raved and called someone a chink? Riiiiiiiight.

You came on here whining about the advice someone else gave you... and the advice they gave you is pretty much what any professional would tell you - invest in your passion. Yet, you called him a douche for it... nice job. I don't care what you called whom... I was pointing out your idiotic and pious attitude.
Geez talking to you is like talking to a little kid who's crying about his brother pointing his finger at him. The chink isn't you is it?! SO why do you care?? It's sad how you've been around longer than me but you still haven't learned to care about yourself and not others. And kind of disapointing.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Well be prepared to be told by everyone else that it's wrong... -_- There's no mercy on this forum!

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
He's not interested in DJing. Just another one trying to look cool or impress some girl... looking for the shortest route to the pay dirt.
Oh yea cause I said that huh? Not. And what the hell girl would be interested in some guy who can play music and scratch or mix songs together?! So what?! Stupid ass example!

BurntToast
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Well be prepared to be told by everyone else that it's wrong... -_- There's no mercy on this forum!

That's okay. I won't be showing up with a laptop anywhere so I won't be hearing it.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
That's okay. I won't be showing up with a laptop anywhere so I won't be hearing it.
Good choice! aha

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't give fuck about what you think of me, I'm open to hear your opinion on gear.

I don't think anything about you other than you are ungrateful for good advice.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Depends on the scene and the night.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Who said it was wrong? All I said is the guy was right that you should invest in it if its something you want to legitimately pursue.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Oh yea cause I said that huh? Not

You didn't have to.

And what the hell girl would be interested in some guy who can play music and scratch or mix songs together?! So what?! Stupid ass example!

:lol:

Wow... just wow.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Geez talking to you is like talking to a little kid who's crying about his brother pointing his finger at him.

I think you have the roles reversed there. Its more like a kid being told what he needs to hear and his inability to accept it.

The chink isn't you is it?! SO why do you care??

So, because it wasn't directed at me, I can't take offense? If you are pathetic enough to throw our racial slurs because you had your feelings hurt, perhaps the internet is not for you.

It's sad how you've been around longer than me but you still haven't learned to care about yourself and not others. And kind of disapointing.

What? Can you please try to make at least one point that makes even remote sense?

RDRCK
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
This thread it hilarious!

:lol:

Kdub
04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't think anything about you other than you are ungrateful for good advice.

Well where does your advice start and you being a DICK end? I haven't seen any advice from YOU, I checked.

Hausgeist
04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Thread's gonna close...

Kdub
04-17-2012, 12:01 PM
All I've seen you do is argue and argue and try and use what I say against myself because your out of ideas.

Kdub
04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I think you have the roles reversed there. Its more like a kid being told what he needs to hear and his inability to accept it.

So, because it wasn't directed at me, I can't take offense? If you are pathetic enough to throw our racial slurs because you had your feelings hurt, perhaps the internet is not for you.

What? Can you please try to make at least one point that makes even remote sense?

The point I'm trying to get across is worry about yourself. If chink offends you, then I guess your asian. You can call me cracker all day and I won't care. Learn to live with people calling you names dude, like seriously if i can do it, you being a grown "man" can too. Man is in quotes cause im not sure of your gender... I say that cause you argue like a girl and try to use what I say against me.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Well where does your advice start and you being a DICK end? I haven't seen any advice from YOU, I checked.

My advice is to take the advice the other guy gave you seriously if you think DJing is what you want to do. Is everyone that gives you advice you don't want to hear a dick by definition.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
The point I'm trying to get across is worry about yourself.

You are sadly mistaken if you think I am worried about you.

If chink offends you, then I guess your asian. You can call me cracker all day and I won't care.

...because "cracker" takes you back to your long history of oppression? I see.

...and no, I'm not Asian. I just don't like racist fucks.

Learn to live with people calling you names dude, like seriously if i can do it, you being a grown "man" can too.

Let's see who is acting like a man... is it the person who is crying and calling people racist slurs because he didn't like the advice he was given?

Man is in quotes cause im not sure of your gender... I say that cause you argue like a girl and try to use what I say against me.

So I take it comedy isn't your passion either. Take a week off and come back when you've accidentally said something funny.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Thread's gonna close...

Please... and lets get a ban for the OP for being a racist twat.

sss18734
04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
OH MY GOD. WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD??? :freak:

Kdub, cut it out! This is not the place for needless name calling and profanity. If you like that type of forum, you may want to visit caraudio.com/forum or 4chan

ben mills
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Play what you want - but the bottom line is if you can't play at a high level on anything but your controller you will find it harder to get respect from established DJs.

No respect = no gigs.

Take it for what it is.

Andrew B
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, that was fun.

Hausgeist
04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/24brj9j.gif

Rek_Aviles
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
What did I miss?

:ninja:

Andrew B
04-17-2012, 01:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/rPpMS.gif