PDA

View Full Version : newbie- ableton questions

unknown00
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
1. how are the 2 views connected (arrangement/session)? it seems like if i drop a track into 1 it doesn't appear on the other. it seems like arrangement (horizontal) is for like internal mixtapes or edits and session (vertical) is more for live midi stuff? do you often only use 1 or are you always suppose to use both?

2. on the bottom row, how do you switch between like clip view and effect view? i see you can go to view > detail but i'm wondering if there's a faster way

3. how do you make the arrangement view record/copy what i change on the effect view on the bottom? example- added auto filter, i mess around with the frequency on the bottom effect view and it changes in real-time but when i play back it's not saved or copied into the arrangement view. i want when i change the frequency on the bottom pannel for it to be recorded or saved onto the track. record right?

ezelkow1
04-14-2012, 01:59 PM
1) The way I think about it, session is for playing around with ideas and/or live usage, while arrange is for when you want to start getting the song down. The 2 are connected either by 1) Hitting record at the top while in session view, this will record all the clips you trigger into the arrange view. 2) You can select all the clips you want, click, and then hit tab while holding down the click. This lets you drag them into the arrangement view. Personally I use session the most, but thats mainly cause I can never finish a damn thing, sometimes Ill record off some stuff I like into the arrangement if I feel its going somewhere though

2) F12, or when you click on the clip it shows the clip, click on the track name at the top and it will show the effects

3) You have to have record enabled on that track, and hit record at the top, then mess around

For 3 there is one stipulation though. You cannot record VST automation while in session view. So in arrangement view if you are recording, you can start tweaking some knobs inside a vst and those will get recorded. However over in session view this will not work, I think it only works for ableton's native effects. Ableton has been bugged about this for years by their users and has said it requires an entire re-write for it to work, so everyone has high hopes for v9

unknown00
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
response

1. so i don't have a midi, i just use ableton to make some remixes/mashups...do you see a reason why i would use session view? if so, why?
2. F12 doesn't work, but the other click will suit my needs

ezelkow1
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
response

1. so i don't have a midi, i just use ableton to make some remixes/mashups...do you see a reason why i would use session view? if so, why?

1) Yea definitely. So you could have one track that has a whole bunch of clips, that may be similar or fill a certain role in what your trying to do. So then you can trigger through them on the fly testing them out and see which you like best. You can also change the click trigger mode (under the L button) between trigger/gate/repeat, and turn legato on and off. With these you could chop up those samples on the fly as you trigger since you can have them restart at various positions like that

2) wierd, works here, maybe its a pc only thing

Andrew B
04-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Try fn + F12

unknown00
04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Try fn + F12
sends me to dashboard. i'm using 10.7.3

login
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
A very good advice: read the whole manual, print it so it's easier to consult it.

Then take the lessons embeded in the program, which also have videos at the ableton site.

disparate
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Ctrl+Tab to go between clip view and FX view. Or apple+tab if you're on a Mac.

The boxed edition comes with a printed copy of the manual which is pretty handy. There's definitely a few lists of keyboard shortcuts online as well, check Google.