PDA

View Full Version : Difference between house and trance

dj tandav
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
What is the difference between these two styles, i mean what bpm it goes and what is major difference in them.Are they the same.Give me a example of one progressive
house track and one progressive trance.track.
Best regard:)

Buszaj
04-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh man...the difference is so obvious listening to both genres. But writing it down seems tricky for some reason.

House--> typically around 128 bpm; tracks will have more of a "groove" throughout its entirety; the kick drum is a bit more rounded and "deep" than faster trance (what I've noticed at least); large span in subgenres, tech house being more stripped down and a bumpy vibe going throughout. electro house and hard house going harder with harsher buildups and drops.

Trance--> bpm can go from 125 to 142, when someone thinks of "typical" trance I'd pin it at around 135-140 bpm; the structure is a lot more drawn out usually with several layers being slowly added from the start...hence the 3 minute intros; again, this is all for "typical", almost mainstream trance, if you will. there are so many variations within the genre, not to mention the old school trance has a way different sound. you've got psytrance, uplifting trance, progressive trance, baleric trance, hard trance...so many.

I honestly can't give you progressive tracks off the top of my head. There's so much overlap. And I'm more into the uplifting trance.

EDIT: Take a look at this http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/, and do some research. Wikipedia!

DJ STU-C
04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
id call this progressive house

QcBv-0yN3uk

and this progressive trance

AZMGPihNvXk

but its so open to interpretation i could be wrong and some people will completely disagree with me

Maikky
04-14-2012, 01:21 PM
house is like

unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce

trance is more like

ahhhhhhhhhh unce unce unce unce ahhhhh unce unce unce unce then 30 min breakdown

:blank:

Sean
04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
This REALLY helped me when I was getting started:
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

But yeah the thing that stands out the most in a trance song is the loooooooooooooooooooooooooong (take a nap) looooooooooooong (more nap) loooooooooong breakdowns.

John Veselsky
04-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Generally its fairly easy to tell the difference. It only becomes a problem when you start to find trance at around the 127-129 range that sounds like progressive house.

dlove
04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
house is like

trance is more like

ahhhhhhhhhh unce unce unce unce ahhhhh unce unce unce unce then 30 min breakdown

haha! yeah :tup:

bnr
04-14-2012, 02:40 PM
house is like

trance is more like

hahahaha!

Era 7
04-14-2012, 02:53 PM
in b4 "trance gives you aids"

Unknown DJ
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
in b4 this turns into a 10 page thread.

DJUrkelDee
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Trance is very Synth heavy...

KLH
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
In the beginning there was house music
and house music had its own groove,
and this groove was the groove of all grooves.
But then one day some DJs declared:

"LET THIS HOUSE BE PROGRESSIVE!"

and progressive house was born.
So let it be written. So let it be done.

-KLH

DJ STU-C
04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
8ZZoUf_HNDQ

mantis
04-14-2012, 09:23 PM
In the beginning there was house music
and house music had its own groove,
and this groove was the groove of all grooves.
But then one day some DJs declared:

"LET THIS HOUSE BE PROGRESSIVE!"

and progressive house was born.

-KLH
:tup:

thats actually a pretty cool quote

disparate
04-17-2012, 08:07 AM
128bpm is pretty fast for house these days, everything seems to be heading towards 120...

KLH
04-17-2012, 08:13 AM
thats actually a pretty cool quote
Just so there isn't a miscommunication, I didn't make those lyrics (http://oldskooler.com/in-the-beginning-there-was-jack/)... but I do sign my posts out of a BAD habit.

-KLH