PDA

View Full Version : Does a setup make a DJ?

KLH
09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
I was asked today if a setup makes a DJ. Before I share my opinion, I want to ask what your is. What do you think makes a DJ?

Yellit
09-17-2017, 06:36 PM
The set up is just the tools a DJ chooses to perform on - and each has their preference. It's the way they choose to share their music, and create, but it doesn't make a DJ - in the same manner a hammer doesn't make a builder or a wrench doesn't make a mechanic.

Nicadraus
09-17-2017, 07:24 PM
A proper DJ (trained with self discipline), should be able to play on any given proper set up. Whether it's vinyl, CD, USB, DVS, or controller. No "ifs" nor "buts". So to me, a set up doesn't make a DJ.

monomer
09-17-2017, 07:29 PM
A proper DJ (trained with self discipline), should be able to play on any given proper set up. Whether it's vinyl, CD, USB, DVS, or controller. No "ifs" nor "buts". So to me, a set up doesn't make a DJ.

Assuming the DJ has music on the format.

I can't do cdj's. A majority of my music is Vinyl....

Dix
09-17-2017, 09:08 PM
The set up is just the tools a DJ chooses to perform on - and each has their preference. It's the way they choose to share their music, and create, but it doesn't make a DJ - in the same manner a hammer doesn't make a builder or a wrench doesn't make a mechanic.

I agree........

Nicadraus
09-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Assuming the DJ has music on the format.

I can't do cdj's. A majority of my music is Vinyl....

If you can play with vinyl, then trust me, you can play on anything.

mitchiemasha
09-18-2017, 01:24 AM
It's kind of a misfired question. A DJ makes their set up and usually good Dj's make good set ups. So yes but no. Having a good set up wont make you a good DJ, one has to be that already.

Alex Murphy
09-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Nope. I.e. remember this guy on DjF 1.0? Bragging every two days of buying new gear, he ended up with this.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q2ioib.jpg

And his mixes sounded like shoes in a washing machine, he couldn't even mix instant coffee and hot water to redeem himself. I could buy a whole chest of Snap-on tools and give that to my brother, he still won't be able to change an air filter on his car.

mix4fix
09-18-2017, 11:59 AM
You are only as good as your weakest link. And that goes with anything in life. A crappy car isn't going to set a record at the Nurburgring no matter how good the driver is.

pete
09-18-2017, 12:21 PM
With regards to equipment it also takes the right attitude to DJ sometimes.

I've turned up to gigs and have the other DJs refuse to play on anything other than Pio gear. Fair enough, but if you aint brought your CDJs and I've gone out of my way to bring my soundsystem and turntables...you play on what is there. You're welcome to use my equipment and music to give me a break, but if you are a gear-snob, and can't mix on turntables...its not your lucky night.

I've turned up to gigs where I haven't brought my setup. The equipment is busted. By that, I mean a turntable requires manually holding the cartridge in the groove or it will jump out (techs may be indestructible, but if their gimbal and bearings are fubar, then they are a pain to work with). Other DJ runs in fear and dumps his record bag next to me. I pull out a coin for the cartridge and attempt repairs throughout the night. Even having to hold the cart most of the night would not stop a performance. Especially for 2x the fee.

I guess DJs who start from the bottom up, on half-busted second hand belt-drives, leaky mixers and a bargain bag of 10 records never complain too much and get the job done.
So in that way....I guess the crappy budget setup does make the DJ!

But on the other hand, the DJ should be able to bring the party on whatever is there, so setup be damned.

Windows 95
09-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I was asked today if a setup makes a DJ.This is the attitude from most people that makes the modern DJ scene not being taken seriously. With the line between live performance art, production, and DJ mixing/remixing/turntablism being so blurred today. You would think the attitude would have improved over the years instead of getting worse.

Think of the question in any other context.

Does the guitar make the guitarist?
Does the laptop make the reporter?
Does the camera make the photographer?
Does the knife make the butcher?
And as Manu said; Does the tools make the car mechanic?

Most people seem to think that you can download a software program, practice for a day and you'll sound like a celebrity DJ.

Windows 95
09-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Probably more accurate to say, the DJ makes the set up.
What your goal is & how you approach it will probably have the greatest influence on what set up you have.

Look at AFISHAL. Instead of the traditional 16 trigger pads to control Ableton Live. His drumming background made him decide to use 16 drum pads instead.
2:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozcUaQzgYk

Alex Murphy
09-18-2017, 02:25 PM
^^^ always carry a 2p and some blu-tac :teef:

Unknown DJ
09-18-2017, 05:11 PM
You are only as good as your weakest link. And that goes with anything in life. A crappy car isn't going to set a record at the Nurburgring no matter how good the driver is.

But a crappy car with a F1 driver will still be faster than a beginner with a F1 car.

Alex Murphy
09-18-2017, 05:16 PM
But a crappy car with a F1 driver will still be faster than a beginner with a F1 car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

Unknown DJ
09-18-2017, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

He's not a beginner and it took him some time to go around the track with out spinning out. A beginner would not even be able to make it out of pit lane.

efinque
09-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Most people seem to think that you can download a software program, practice for a day and you'll sound like a celebrity DJ.

Sad but true.

Which reminds me that at some point I was thinking that there should be an educational DJ software (and DAW too), with a leveling system similar to RPGs, so that once you finish tutorials and keep using it you can unlock certain features.

mitchiemasha
09-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Probably more accurate to say, the DJ makes the set up.
Yeap. That's what I said.

DJ Matt
09-19-2017, 11:43 AM
i think there are a lot of things that make the DJ, but essentially it is the person that people are hiring, not the setup. so its more to do with that persons professionalism, knowledge, intuition, personality, attention to detail etc. that people are relying on.
the equipment can change from one night to the next.
if a DJ has knowledge of sound and accoustics, for example, he can get the most out of any setup when he has to. i have heard terrible DJs playing on extremely good setups, and its just a much louder form of terrible.

shoot summ
09-19-2017, 12:35 PM
I'll give you the perspective from a NewB.

I bought some nice gear, sound and lights to cover my Son's wedding. I've spent hours researching sound setup, lights, DMX programming, songs, etc, basically the mechanics of the process. I have a friend that gave me some old Software, spent hours on putting a playlist together, blending songs, trying to make it a fun evening. I had no intention of being interactive with this other than firing off lights, fog, and bubbles at certain intervals and time via a wifi power strip. I played with DJ controllers at the local Guitar Center and decided it was way too much work for the Father of the Groom.

I ran through some test runs of lighting setup, and sound setup, had a driveway party where I pissed some neighbors off, and thought I had everything set to go.

Day of the wedding I load a trailer and take everything to the venue. Light setup took longer than expected even though I had cords organized, and notes on setting up lights. Even forgot to run a DMX cable between 2 lights for master/slave, but I was the only one that noticed.

The fun starts and what I discover is that a DJ sets the mood, keeps the mood, and basically adapts to what is going on(among MANY other things). Not sure if it is typical but there seemed to be waves, times when the floor is full, and times when it's almost empty. So my automatic playlist is playing great dance tunes when only a few people are there, and filler songs while the floor is full. So now I'm juggling songs, and then people start asking for requests(which I denied on the spot, but moved up if I had the song).

The DJ brings the talent to the mechanics, sure my music sounded great, the lights were awesome, and everyone had a great time, but there was energy there that I didn't exploit, there was more fun to be had and I didn't have the skills to bring it.

My take on the answer is, like anyone with talent, a good DJ can make a rocking party on a boom box, but with the right gear it makes their talent shine even more. But great gear does NOT make a DJ.

B.Major
09-22-2017, 05:51 PM
If you have the same set up from that Xzibit image your doing okay. Not sure what kind of mixer that is from that angle, but still not a terrible setup.

Yellit
09-22-2017, 08:11 PM
If you have the same set up from that Xzibit image your doing okay. Not sure what kind of mixer that is from that angle, but still not a terrible setup.

Might be a solid set up - but that doesn't necessarily make the person a good DJ

Alex Murphy
09-23-2017, 06:02 AM
You did not read what I wrote around that picture. The mixer is a Xone:92 coupled with 2x Xone:1D and 2x Xone:4D

B.Major
09-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Yes Yellit ! I totally agree with you on that one, but having proper equipment does help a lot in my experiences.

mix4fix
09-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Yes Yellit ! I totally agree with you on that one, but having proper equipment does help a lot in my experiences.

Which was what I was referring to. You are only as good as your weakest link.

Now, the person themselves could be the weak link; but, that's a whole other can of worms that we shouldn't open right now.