PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bigger setup

blancnoir
04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at the EV ZXA5s. RCF 425As, with RCF 905 Subs or Yorkville LS801s.. any thoughts or recommendations I want to step up from my two setups mackie 450s with mackie 1500 subs or my EV ELX115 tops.

Let me know thanks!

windspeed36
04-14-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm confused as to what you've got and what you're looking at getting

jayhwk
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Do you want to stay with powered loudspeakers? There are lots of options if you go passive.

BillESC
04-16-2012, 07:15 PM
ZXA5's will sound the best IMHO.

gdawg55
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I have the ZXa5 and LS801P combo and they sound really good together. That would be my vote. I also use RCF 522a tops with the LS801P and that combo sounds really nice too.

DJStevieRay
04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
If you are going with the RCF's, if you want something more comparable to the ZXA's go with the 725's

blancnoir
04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I want to stay with the powered setup.

I looked at the RCF 425s and the LS 801 i think im sold on that setup but not closed to other options. Dont even want to bother with QSC or JBL and the ZXA might be out of the price range for now.. thoughts?

jayhwk
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Call around about the price for the ZxA5 - I would expect to pay a good deal less than the price you see on most online stores if you find a good (maybe local) dealer.

blancnoir
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Call around about the price for the ZxA5 - I would expect to pay a good deal less than the price you see on most online stores if you find a good (maybe local) dealer.

I have been its between 1400-1600 per speaker. I dont usually buy things online anymore (speakers lighting big ticket items) because my local guy sells them for far less than online pricing and no shipping etc.

I would like to pick up new subs first, so I want to see what people would like to share with me on that end im pretty torn between RCFs and Yorkville's

SummitAudioDJ
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Yamaha DSR112 or DSR115's

Al Poulin
04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Yamaha DSR112 or DSR115's

Agreed these are an excellent choice for high output applications. Powered at 1300 watts RMS to very high quality drivers and with some serious DSP making things sound as good as posisble at all times. I've got an opportunity to trade in some of my lesser perfoming cabs for a new pair of these which I might just take up in the next few days. ;)

Al

gdawg55
04-18-2012, 07:19 AM
You could also look at the FBT Promaxx 14a. I've heard good things about these though I've not had the pleasure of hearing them yet.

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
The EV ZXA5 cabs are can output more spl than the RCF Art425 cabs, the ZXA5 cabs are pretty damn loud but hell they're a lot of money. If it was me mate i'd go for the ZXA5 cabs over almost any other powered cabs out there at that price.

GaFFLe
04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
The EV ZXA5 cabs have more SPL output than any powered 2-way less than $2k, the ZXA5 cabs are pretty damn loud but hell they're a lot of money. If it was me mate i'd go for the ZXA5 cabs over almost any other powered cabs out there at that price.

Fixed

Incognito
04-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Fixed

The output of the EV ZXa5 is only 133db which is a calculated output so it will fall short of this to the effect of 3db to 6db real world (power compression plus other factors withstanding) & on top of that the calculated output is based on half space so really it's not some mystically unheard of or unobtainable output based on real world results. The ZXa5 also tends to have a slight harshness in the high end when pushed to spec so it's not the end all to be all of powered speakers in the sub $2,000 market with various other offerings falling in the same range as the ZXa5 SPL wise.

GaFFLe
04-22-2012, 07:32 PM
The output of the EV ZXa5 is only 133db which is a calculated output so it will fall short of this to the effect of 3db to 6db real world (power compression plus other factors withstanding) & on top of that the calculated output is based on half space so really it's not some mystically unheard of or unobtainable output based on real world results.
Specs... smecs...

Read the conclusion page of this article: http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test They state in reference to the EV ZXa5: "...the best in terms of dynamics and sound level...", "...they deliver more over a greater distance..." and "...top tier SPL level...", plus out of all the 2-way powered cabinets they mentioned, it was their favorite (barring it's higher price). The FBT ProMaxx 14a claims a 135dB max SPL, yet are not as loud as the ZXa5s so I'm throwing EV's dB specs and half-space measurements out the window.

The ZXa5 also tends to have a slight harshness in the high end when pushed to spec so it's not the end all to be all of powered speakers in the sub $2,000 market with various other offerings falling in the same range as the ZXa5 SPL wise.
True, I can attest to this as I own a pair; however, they probably sound just as good or perhaps better than any less than $2k speaker at that speaker's highest non-clipping level... YET, the EV will have more headroom to get even louder; albeit with some slight harshness.

Incognito
04-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Specs... smecs...

Read the conclusion page of this article: http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test They state in reference to the EV ZXa5: "...the best in terms of dynamics and sound level...", "...they deliver more over a greater distance..." and "...top tier SPL level...", plus out of all the 2-way powered cabinets they mentioned, it was their favorite (barring it's higher price). The FBT ProMaxx 14a claims a 135dB max SPL, yet are not as loud as the ZXa5s so I'm throwing EV's dB specs and half-space measurements out the window.

I have read that review & if you notice most of the speakers it's compared to are budget based speakers, it did however over all fall 2nd to the FBT Max in that same review, what you need to also consider is a lot of people base the performance of a powered speaker by the point it's limiters kick in. The ZXa5 has a short coming in it's limiter section thus it fools a lot of people & also is why you hear that harshness when the ZXa5 is reaching its' spec output, where as any other power speaker would already be deep in their limiter thus preserving the musical integrity at the expense of a little SPL. Keep in mind the SPL without quality is just noise....

DJStevieRay
04-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't want to rehash this from another forum, but on the conclussion page they say they are rating them from worst to first, and then mention the ZXA5's last, meaning they have them rated the best, they do however bold their statement about their third place FBT's saying that IF you factor in price, then the FBT, are the best price/performance wise (ie best bang for the buck). Hell I am sure they would say that they are a better value than Meyer, but not neccesarily a better speaker.

You say it yourself

Twisted reality is my reality, who are you to judge

Just because you can twist reality, just means it is your reality, no one elses.

Incognito
04-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't want to rehash this from another forum, but on the conclussion page they say they are rating them from worst to first, and then mention the ZXA5's last, meaning they have them rated the best, they do however bold their statement about their third place FBT's saying that IF you factor in price, then the FBT, are the best price/performance wise (ie best bang for the buck). Hell I am sure they would say that they are a better value than Meyer, but not neccesarily a better speaker.

You say it yourself

Just because you can twist reality, just means it is your reality, no one elses.

Nice try,

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8307/conclusionpage.jpg

Bottom to top yes, but you notice what they gave the point on once you read the full review. However the proof is in the pudding on the very same page you make mention of, now go back & read my post.....

DJStevieRay
04-23-2012, 06:48 AM
You highlighted "the real winner is FBT, but convieniently forget to highlight "IF we take into account PRICE as well as performance" Also I do get your point about their limiter, but you can easily match the FBT's sound quality at the same SPL, and still have plenty of headroom left.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
You highlighted "the real winner is FBT, but convieniently forget to highlight "IF we take into account PRICE as well as performance" Also I do get your point about their limiter, but you can easily match the FBT's sound quality at the same SPL, and still have plenty of headroom left.

No actually you wouldn't have any headroom left over since the FBT is actually an even match to the EV ZXa5, the only thing is the limiter kicks in on the FBT (as it's designed to) however the EV ZXa5 will go past the point of limiter since it only has a clip light (for the woofer section). By this point the EV ZXa5 has already started to sound a little harsh while the FBT still sounds good so you'd want to hear the FBT at higher levels for longer periods of time in comparison to the ZXa5 (ear fatigue & all).

The FBT also has a much wider frequency range then the ZXa5 does while requiring less watts to get it to spec thus showing the higher sensitivity driver components used on the FBT, all this while coming in much cheaper then the ZXa5. One of the things that bothers me about the ZXa5 is the price they charge for it then in their manual EV has the nerve to tell you to spend additional cash on a dedicated processor that they should of included in the first place (something even the budget speakers it was being compared to in this review even had built in as standard). They make mention in the manual if you plan to play the ZXa5 to spec you're to back off the bass or supplement it with a subwoofer so it lacks as a stand alone full range speaker if you expect to reach stated spec, it has a little bit of a hole in the mid range & the highs get a little harsh when pushed so the ZXa5 does have a number of short comings but still a real nice speaker over all if you know how to compensate for it's short comings (even in it's manual EV states this speaker is more geared to the more experienced user).

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 08:00 AM
+1... people see only what they want see.

That "IF" is a major caveat. Not taking anything away from the FBT's (besides their looks) as they seem to be a best bargain for best performance out of any powered speaker IF their price margin is hovering around MI-level retail store range. The ZXa5's are typically $1400 - $1700 each in the USA which is a lot higher than typical retail store 15" powered units. The FBT's would be more favorable to me if they had a logo-less, full-faced grill option.

If you put them side-by-side, even considering the higher price, I'd easily choose the ZXa5's all day long.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 08:27 AM
+1... people see only what they want see.

That "IF" is a major caveat. Not taking anything away from the FBT's (besides their looks) as they seem to be a best bargain for best performance out of any powered speaker IF their price margin is hovering around MI-level retail store range. The ZXa5's are typically $1400 - $1700 each in the USA which is a lot higher than typical retail store 15" powered units. The FBT's would be more favorable to me if they had a logo-less, full-faced grill option.

If you put them side-by-side, even considering the higher price, I'd easily choose the ZXa5's all day long.
See, I based the comparison on actual performance while the only flaw you bring up is looks. If party goers in the middle of a dark room are worried more about what the speakers logo looks like then really the DJ of the night needs a new profession.

jayhwk
04-23-2012, 08:34 AM
See, I based the comparison on actual performance while the only flaw you bring up is looks. If party goers in the middle of a dark room are worried more about what the speakers logo looks like then really the DJ of the night needs a new profession.

I don't agree with that - a lot of people hear with their eyes. That's why customers request Bose speakers - because Bose spends so much marketing to consumers people "hear" the Bose logo and think everything sounds better.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't agree with that - a lot of people hear with their eyes. That's why customers request Bose speakers - because Bose spends so much marketing to consumers people "hear" the Bose logo and think everything sounds better.

OK so by your logic, ZXa5 is better based on it's logo. OK, now I understand & get it.

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
The people who wrote that article also based the comparison on actual performance and they think the best is the EV. The big lean on the FBT was price along with performance. There are many factors to consider: looks, price, performance, weight, features, etc. How my equipment looks is important to me and to potential wedding brides and their photographers. Who wants a fugly speaker that'll detract attention away from a bride in a lasting wedding photo? The ZXa5 looks like it's wearing a tux and the FBT ProMaxx 14a looks like it was designed for a D-rated Sci-Fi movie.

The folks in the article PERFORMED the actual real-world measurements and comparisons themselves and when it was all said and done, even considering its flaws, the top of the heap was the ZXa5.

My original point is, you can't beat the ZXa5's in loudness (SPL) for less than $2k in a powered 2-way cabinet.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 09:45 AM
The people who wrote that article also based the comparison on actual performance and they think the best is the EV. The big lean on the FBT was price along with performance. There are many factors to consider: looks, price, performance, weight, features, etc. How my equipment looks is important to me and to potential wedding brides and their photographers. Who wants a fugly speaker that'll detract attention away from a bride in a lasting wedding photo? The ZXa5 looks like it's wearing a tux and the FBT ProMaxx 14a looks like it was designed for a D-rated Sci-Fi movie.

The folks in the article PERFORMED the actual real-world measurements and comparisons themselves and when it was all said and done, even considering its flaws, the top of the heap was the ZXa5.

My original point is, you can't beat the ZXa5's in loudness (SPL) for less than $2k in a powered 2-way cabinet.

Again, looks is the only short coming you're sighting?

The folks did a listening session with these speakers, the real world measurements they did is what showed the flaws in the ZXa5 & they themselves clearly state this. Again to get the spec listed of the ZXa5, you're either not going to either have to settle for the lacking mids, harsh highs & stand a good chance of blowing your woofer, this in a speaker that costs 50% more then any of the other speakers it was compared to that while cheaper didn't suffer these short comings. To solve this you have to fork out on a dedicated DSP to tame this speakers highs, help the speakers mids & to protect it from itself, this from a speaker you're already paying a premium on. Again the spec listed for this speaker is not real world by any means as I have already stated, at best you're looking at maybe 130db from one of these tops but even then you're still got to take into account all of the aforementioned. Again going loud alone shouldn't be a basis to base how good a speaker is, if it doesn't sound good doing so or you run the risk of frying said speaker in the process then what's the point?

It's also worth noting while they found all kinds of flaws with the ZXa5 however they didn't really find any with the FBT & actually said it performed on par with the ZXa5 on the woofer section, had a better sounding mids sections & a well rounded high section. They also state that the built in DSP as being right on point on the FBT, from other reviews I have also seen right along the same line of summary given in the comparison of the two.

A 2-way is a compromised design so for less then $2,000 you could get a 3-way powered top that's put the ZXa5 properly in it's place & sound much better doing so without the need of further investment of a dedicated DSP like the ZXa5.

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
That's huge with me and regardless, I'd still choose the ZXa5 over the ProMaxx 14a even if both were free. The ZXa5 will easily go louder and sound just as good all the way up until the ProMaxx's limit. Forget just having slightly harsh sound at its highest levels, the ProMaxx would probably crumble and die trying to keep up with the ZXa5s.

...Again the spec listed for this speaker is not real world by any means as I have already stated, at best you're looking at maybe 130db from one of these tops but even then you're still got to take into account all of the aforementioned. Again going loud alone shouldn't be a basis to base how good a speaker is, if it doesn't sound good doing so or you run the risk of frying said speaker in the process then what's the point?

It's also worth noting while they found all kinds of flaws with the ZXa5 however they didn't really find any with the FBT & actually said it performed on par with the ZXa5 on the woofer section, had a better sounding mids sections & a well rounded high section. They also state that the built in DSP as being right on point on the FBT, from other reviews I have also seen right along the same line of summary given in the comparison of the two.
I'm not disputing EV's calculated specs at 133dB. I know that manufacturers post 'calculated' specs based on amp power, driver sensitivity and marketing. I will say if EV has a max real-world spec of 130dB, then FBT's real-world is probably only 127dB. The ProMaxx 14A's simply won't and don't get as loud and their 135dB max SPL is vastly overrated.

A 2-way is a compromised design so for less then $2,000 you could get a 3-way powered top that's put the ZXa5 properly in it's place & sound much better doing so without the need of further investment of a dedicated DSP like the ZXa5.
Yes, I agree here... look no further than a Mackie HD1531. It's cheaper, louder, better sounding overall and has better bass than the ZXa5. I did a thorough 'listening' comparison myself. The con was Mackie's hit-or-miss reliability, Mackie's bad parts support and service, made in China everything and heavy unit weight.

audiopyle
04-23-2012, 11:01 AM

The folks did a listening session with these speakers, the real world measurements they did is what showed the flaws in the ZXa5 & they themselves clearly state this. Again to get the spec listed of the ZXa5, you're either not going to either have to settle for the lacking mids, harsh highs & stand a good chance of blowing your woofer, this in a speaker that costs 50% more then any of the other speakers it was compared to that while cheaper didn't suffer these short comings. To solve this you have to fork out on a dedicated DSP to tame this speakers highs, help the speakers mids & to protect it from itself, this from a speaker you're already paying a premium on. Again the spec listed for this speaker is not real world by any means as I have already stated, at best you're looking at maybe 130db from one of these tops but even then you're still got to take into account all of the aforementioned. Again going loud alone shouldn't be a basis to base how good a speaker is, if it doesn't sound good doing so or you run the risk of frying said speaker in the process then what's the point?

From what you have stated in this thread I have to guess that you have never actually heard the ZXA5, probably have not heard either cabinet being discussed. I've compared it alongside several similarly priced powered speakers and recommend it without reservation. It has a large, in your face sound perfect for rock music. It gets freakishly loud, but it still is smooth sounding at the point every cabinet I've compared it to has hit solid limiting. I don't know of any driver failures that have resulted from anything but operator error, like the DJ on another forum who insists on using them fullrange along with subs.

At some point the condemnation or praise of gear based entirely on dubious recirculated internet quotes gets ridiculous. If you haven't actually tried the gear yourself then how can you be so adamantly opinionated?

Incognito
04-23-2012, 11:14 AM
From what you have stated in this thread I have to guess that you have never actually heard the ZXA5, probably have not heard either cabinet being discussed. I've compared it alongside several similarly priced powered speakers and recommend it without reservation. It has a large, in your face sound perfect for rock music. It gets freakishly loud, but it still is smooth sounding at the point every cabinet I've compared it to has hit solid limiting. I don't know of any driver failures that have resulted from anything but operator error, like the DJ on another forum who insists on using them fullrange along with subs.

At some point the condemnation or praise of gear based entirely on dubious recirculated internet quotes gets ridiculous. If you haven't actually tried the gear yourself then how can you be so adamantly opinionated?

Actually yes I have heard the ZXa5 & I gave a review on it in DJF 1.0 However I do admit I am relying on various 3rd part evaluation of the FBT in question (& not just this single review). There are a couple users who have complained of blown drivers of the ZXa5 & even electrovoice themselves warn you of this very real potential i the owners manual so this is not some fabricated web rumor.

I think you need to take this up with the people giving the review since they too gave their opinion on this very speaker that mirrors exactly what it is that I felt on this & stated over a year ago.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 11:24 AM
That's huge with me and regardless, I'd still choose the ZXa5 over the ProMaxx 14a even if both were free. The ZXa5 will easily go louder and sound just as good all the way up until the ProMaxx's limit. Forget just having slightly harsh sound at its highest levels, the ProMaxx would probably crumble and die trying to keep up with the ZXa5s.

I'm not disputing EV's calculated specs at 133dB. I know that manufacturers post 'calculated' specs based on amp power, driver sensitivity and marketing. I will say if EV has a max real-world spec of 130dB, then FBT's real-world is probably only 127dB. The ProMaxx 14A's simply won't and don't get as loud and their 135dB max SPL is vastly overrated.

Yes, I agree here... look no further than a Mackie HD1531. It's cheaper, louder, better sounding overall and has better bass than the ZXa5. I did a thorough 'listening' comparison myself. The con was Mackie's hit-or-miss reliability, Mackie's bad parts support and service, made in China everything and heavy unit weight.

So both speakers are rated by the same calculated method (based on available watts & speaker sensitivity) thus both having to factor in things such as power compression. HOWEVER, the ZXa5 is based on half space calculations thus inflating it's end spec results while the FBT is based on free space http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx_14a_combined_PDF.pdf thus giving the edge to the FBT. The rated continuous output of the FBT is 127.5db but that is based on free space measurements so it will deliver right on par with the half space calculated measurement of the ZXa5 (a credit to FBT in that they actually list a continuous rating while the ZXa5 only lists it's peak rating) but not have the slight harshness of the ZXa5, the dip in the midrange as the ZXa5, actually offer protection for all it's drivers unlike the ZXa5 & still come in 50% cheaper & not needing the dedicated 3rd party processing to make up for any short comings like the ZXa5.

jayhwk
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
OK so by your logic, ZXa5 is better based on it's logo. OK, now I understand & get it.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's unfortunate, but a fair number (although not all) of the customers a DJ company will have don't care about how the speakers sound as long as they look good. It's a fact.

I see this all the time in live sound tours. A venue I work in gave up and bought a Meyer rig because they do mostly theater and the tours would demand they rent Meyer, even through the venue's current speakers sounded better and were better deployed.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's unfortunate, but a fair number (although not all) of the customers a DJ company will have don't care about how the speakers sound as long as they look good. It's a fact.

I see this all the time in live sound tours. A venue I work in gave up and bought a Meyer rig because they do mostly theater and the tours would demand they rent Meyer, even through the venue's current speakers sounded better and were better deployed.

So over all what you're saying is with you being the hired "sound professional" it matters more what the speaker looks like vs what it sounds like???

Go stand outside a concert & pull the random person aside & ask them a few questions:

"What did the speakers look like in the concert you just attended???"

"How did they sound???"

Out of the people you ask these two questions which do you think more people will be able to answer???

jayhwk
04-23-2012, 11:42 AM
So over all what you're saying is with you being the hired "sound professional" it matters more what the speaker looks like vs what it sounds like???

Go stand outside a concert & pull the random person aside & ask them a few questions:

"What did the speakers look like in the concert you just attended???"

"How did they sound???"

Out of the people you ask these two questions which do you think more people will be able to answer???

I am saying that I have had very high paying and high profile tours reject speakers because of their brand. They would have laughed at your FBTs simply because they aren't well known enough.

I am saying that I have had customers reject speakers because they did not look good enough. They would have rejected your FBTs because they don't have a full faced grille.

Remember, the audience is not my customer or your customer. The promoter (or bride, or whoever hands you the check) is. They're the ones who care.

I care about the sound quality. I care about it a lot - it's my job to make sure that I satisfy all the need of the customer, though, and sometimes that means sacrificing some sound quality for looks, if it's what the person paying me wants.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I am saying that I have had very high paying and high profile tours reject speakers because of their brand. They would have laughed at your FBTs simply because they aren't well known enough.

I am saying that I have had customers reject speakers because they did not look good enough. They would have rejected your FBTs because they don't have a full faced grille.

Remember, the audience is not my customer or your customer. The promoter (or bride, or whoever hands you the check) is. They're the ones who care.

I care about the sound quality. I care about it a lot - it's my job to make sure that I satisfy all the need of the customer, though, and sometimes that means sacrificing some sound quality for looks, if it's what the person paying me wants.

Do your homework, FBT is a well regarded company & very well known.

A few years ago I took a lot of flack with my clients when I switched up & went with DIY BFM designs, I had a number of hold out who refused to give them a fair try. However once I built up the speakers reputation by delivering where many of the accepted name brands fell short I gained my full clientele back & then some. I got the same resistance when I started showing up to gigs with my JTR rig but again they more then delivered & all the hold out eventually came around. Most customers don't know anything about a speaker unless yo u're dealing with Riders & even then there's work arounds but 99% of the DJFM member base who use their own gear aren't doing that scale of gigs so it's a none issue (one more common place with the live band scene).

Incognito
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Look guys, you're all getting side tracked here. However it maybe hard for some to come to terms with but the ZXa5 isn't the end all to be all of powered speakers in the sub $2,000 range. The fact is there are speakers in the same league as it, delivering on par SPL also doing so without some of the noted ZXa5 short comings. Does this all of a sudden make the ZXa5 a bad speaker? No, actually if you read through my post I still noted it for being an over all good speaker so I am not bashing it but giving an unbiased opinion based on personal experience & stated facts (from the manufacturer themselves no less as well as 3rd party reviewers, could we ALL be wrong??).

The thing to remember is when it comes to speakers, SPL is but one spec & shouldn't over shadow all else. Another thing, come on, the FBT is "different looking" but not totally horrible looking, the RCF 312a is just as equally "different looking" but is accepted so why the bias against the FBT? Real world flaws are found with one speaker, however they're over looked & deemed OK. Yet the FBT speaker passes all those same areas that the ZXa5 fell short on but the FBT is being called out just because it has a "different look"? The fact that the FBT performs so well & on par with the ZXa5 while coming in at a 50% cost savings over the ZXa5 & still offering features the ZXa5 can't deliver on should be the main thing to keep in mind with this speaker, not it's looks.

http://www.fbtusa.net/images/ProMaxx14a_photo.jpg

At the worst you can use home theater grill cloth that doesn't color the sound & cover the front of the speaker if it bothers you THAT much but yes I do agree the ZXa5 is a better looking speaker.

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/p43303.jpg

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
So both speakers are rated by the same calculated method (based on available watts & speaker sensitivity) thus both having to factor in things such as power compression. HOWEVER, the ZXa5 is based on half space calculations thus inflating it's end spec results while the FBT is based on free space http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx_14a_combined_PDF.pdf thus giving the edge to the FBT. The rated continuous output of the FBT is 127.5db but that is based on free space measurements so it will deliver right on par with the half space calculated measurement of the ZXa5 (a credit to FBT in that they actually list a continuous rating while the ZXa5 only lists it's peak rating) but not have the slight harshness of the ZXa5, the dip in the midrange as the ZXa5, actually offer protection for all it's drivers unlike the ZXa5 & still come in 50% cheaper & not needing the dedicated 3rd party processing to make up for any short comings like the ZXa5.
Wow, you do twist reality... The FBT, in no way, gets louder than the ZXa5 so I close my eyes to all the specification babble you mention.

Show me an authorized dealer on the web that sells a new FBT ProMaxx 14a at 50% of a $1600 EV ZXa5 and I'll buy one right now. There are plenty of authorized dealers that sell the EV for even less than that.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Wow, you do twist reality... The FBT, in no way, gets louder than the ZXa5 so I close my eyes to all the specification babble you mention.

Show me an authorized dealer on the web that sells a new FBT ProMaxx 14a at 50% of a $1600 EV ZXa5 and I'll buy one right now. There are plenty of authorized dealers that sell the EV for even less than that.
So who's twisting reality, take a look for yourself.

Electrovoice ZXa5 specs http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/ZxA5_Series_Owners_Manual.pdf page 13 clearly states 133db max calculated at half space

FBT Promaxx 14a specs http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx_14a_combined_PDF.pdf page 1 clearly states 135.5db max calculated at free space

Both using the speaker sensitivity & applied wattage to give calculations so both are using the same (none real world) calculations but neither are factoring in other factors that will reduce these figures. However FBT does give you a continuous output spec (something the ZXa5 doesn't) of 127.5db but this is also free space in comparison to the ZXa5 calculated max output of 133db in half space.

Let's go out on limb & give the ZXa5 the benefit of the doubt as being able to deliver 130db continuous, this would still be based on a half space reading where as the FBT will be able to deliver this same output in freespace continuous. (know the difference between a freespace reading & half space?)

Now as for the 50% pricing difference, you're showing signs of picking & choosing what you want from the very review you just a few posts ago was singing praises to for their placing of the ZXa5. You can't pick & choose what you want from the review because you'll become a hypocrite by becoming a "twister of reality" since the review was bought up to sing the praise of the ZXa5 over the FBT but then when the same review is used to show the flaws you can't then choose to turn a blind eye. Remember it wasn't I who bought reference to this review, all I did is use it to back up what I had already said & I even used the manufacturers own publishing on each related product to back up my claims. You yourself even agreed with me on a number of my points but not you're saying that I'm twisting reality? If you don't know the real meaning behind my signature, don't try to twist it against me since you're using it out of context. Even if on you're side of the pond the FBT can't be found for 50% less, it still comes in cheaper then the ZXa5, doesn't exhibit the short comings of the ZXa5, doesn't require 3rd party processing to deliver what should be standard & still falls with in the same SPL ballpark while still delivering on a wider frequency range then that of the ZXa5.

Does it really hurt you to admit that the ZXa5 has competition? This is all I am saying, I am not saying the ZXa5 is bad, all I am saying is there are other options available, what's hard about that to accept? You've already agreed with me there are other powered speakers in the sub $2,000 range that actually outperform the ZXa5 in certain areas so what's hard to accept that the FBT is a viable competitor to the ZXa5? So far I have based everything on facts & the only counter I have received is opinion based on aesthetics.

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 03:58 PM
So who's twisting reality, take a look for yourself.

Electrovoice ZXa5 specs http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/ZxA5_Series_Owners_Manual.pdf page 13 clearly states 133db max calculated at half space

FBT Promaxx 14a specs http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx_14a_combined_PDF.pdf page 1 clearly states 135.5db max calculated at free space

Both using the speaker sensitivity & applied wattage to give calculations so both are using the same (none real world) calculations but neither are factoring in other factors that will reduce these figures. However FBT does give you a continuous output spec (something the ZXa5 doesn't) of 127.5db but this is also free space in comparison to the ZXa5 calculated max output of 133db in half space.

Let's go out on limb & give the ZXa5 the benefit of the doubt as being able to deliver 130db continuous, this would still be based on a half space reading where as the FBT will be able to deliver this same output in freespace continuous. (know the difference between a freespace reading & half space?)

Now as for the 50% pricing difference, you're showing signs of picking & choosing what you want from the very review you just a few posts ago was singing praises to for their placing of the ZXa5. You can't pick & choose what you want from the review because you'll become a hypocrite by becoming a "twister of reality" since the review was bought up to sing the praise of the ZXa5 over the FBT but then when the same review is used to show the flaws you can't then choose to turn a blind eye. Remember it wasn't I who bought reference to this review, all I did is use it to back up what I had already said & I even used the manufacturers own publishing on each related product to back up my claims. You yourself even agreed with me on a number of my points but not you're saying that I'm twisting reality? If you don't know the real meaning behind my signature, don't try to twist it against me since you're using it out of context.
The reality is, I can go on the web and get a new EV ZXa5 delivered to my front step for $1400 - $1700 each from any authorized EV dealer. Reality does not say I can get a new FBT ProMaxx 14a for $700 - $850 each which is 50% of the price as you and the article says. They were probably speaking of MAP or MSRP prices which is not people's purchasing reality.

I know of the ZXa5's shortcomings and I'm not ignoring anything... single handle, no limit light, slight-harshness at ear-shattering volumes. The debate started when you tried to correct me when I said the ZXa5's were the loudest output SPL 2-way powered speaker less than $2k each. Based on some calculated manufacturer specs, you wanted to chime in trying to prove how much you knew about half-space, power compression and such but in reality, you stepped into a pit of assumption because you don't own either speaker.

The article even states the ZXa5s are clearly louder than ANY of the other speakers in the comparison test, so why are you re-hashing manufacturer specs? Reality says that specs are calculated, vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, a lot of times are for marketing purposes and should not be taken as the gospel because in no way will the ProMaxx 14a be louder than the ZXa5... half-space, full-space, outer-space.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
The reality is, I can go on the web and get a new EV ZXa5 delivered to my front step for $1400 - $1700 each from any authorized EV dealer. Reality does not say I can get a new FBT ProMaxx 14a for $700 - $850 each which is 50% of the price as you and the article says. They were probably speaking of MAP or MSRP prices which is not people's purchasing reality.

I know of the ZXa5's shortcomings and I'm not ignoring anything... single handle, no limit light, slight-harshness at ear-shattering volumes. The debate started when you tried to correct me when I said the ZXa5's were the loudest output SPL 2-way powered speaker less than $2k each. Based on some calculated manufacturer specs, you wanted to chime in trying to prove how much you knew about half-space, power compression and such but in reality, you stepped into a pit of assumption because you don't own either speaker.

The article even states the ZXa5s are clearly louder than ANY of the other speakers in the comparison test, so why are you re-hashing manufacturer specs? Reality says that specs are calculated, vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, a lot of times are for marketing purposes and should not be taken as the gospel because in no way will the ProMaxx 14a be louder than the ZXa5... half-space, full-space, outer-space.

So I now need to own the speakers to form an opinion on them, earlier it was called into question if I had heard them but now I see I need to actually own them. So please show me your pair of FBT.... I also stated the fact that what most pro level users do (as they've been trained to do & are supposed to do) is to back off once you see the limit light kick in. Since the ZXa5 doesn't have this feature then all clear to point of distortion (so the mind set goes), so while there's still plenty headroom left on the FBT the limiters kick in to preserve the over all audio quality. So this is where the difference comes into play between the two cabinets reaching their stated spec & I already covered this earlier.

Both cabinets are calculated (using the exact same method) & I also said it's not taking into account real world factors (many times actually), I also showed how the ZXa5 spec is boosted by stating half space measurements as opposed to the FBT that used free space so......

Evil Steve
04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Guys!
As much as I enjoy a good hair pulling fight, let's step back a bit...
I'm gonna put on my flame proof undies and tell you both to that you seem to be arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
I'd say both seem to be pretty good loudspeakers.
I'd still prefer wood over plastic for bigger rigs.

Nevertheless, let's try not to get our knickers in a twist about subtleties.
Cheers

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
So I now need to own the speakers to form an opinion on them, earlier it was called into question if I had heard them but now I see I need to actually own them. So please show me your pair of FBT.... I also stated the fact that what most pro level users do (as they've been trained to do & are supposed to do) is to back off once you see the limit light kick in. Since the ZXa5 doesn't have this feature then all clear to point of distortion (so the mind set goes), so while there's still plenty headroom left on the FBT the limiters kick in to preserve the over all audio quality. So this is where the difference comes into play between the two cabinets reaching their stated spec & I already covered this earlier. Both cabinets are calculated (using the exact same method) & I also said it's not taking into account real world factors (many times actually), I also showed how the ZXa5 spec is boosted by stating half space measurements as opposed to the FBT that used free space so......

You posted what you thought was a 50% less link but I caught it...http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3756/promaxxfbt.png
So I now need to own the speakers to form an opinion on them, earlier it was called into question...
It may help if you did, I can't help you there.

In reference to loudest output, you tried to come across as the authoritative end-all answer based on manufacturer specs when both the owners and the article is saying otherwise. The ZXa5's, although they have some shortcomings, are an absolute bEAST in terms of output.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
You posted what you thought was a 50% less link but I caught it...http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3756/promaxxfbt.png
It may help if you did, I can't help you there. huh?, I had a bunch of links up but took them ALL down, I also had a lot of other info posted so what are you on about by posting this?

[FONT=century gothic] In reference to loudest output, you tried to come across as the authoritative end-all answer based on manufacturer specs when both the owners and the article is saying otherwise. The ZXa5's, although they have some shortcomings, are an absolute bEAST in terms of output.

You know I just couldn't understand why you are coming off so strong on this topic when it has gotten to the point of repeat mode. I had a hunch & looked into it & I proved my hunch right.. You've been fighting this fight for awhile now on other forums, you just want the ZXa5 to be what they just aren't.

You can make a car as fast as you want it to be but if the rest of the car can't support what the engine is generating then what's the point???? RTFM, EV tells you that you need to back off the bass if you want to reach the top SPL, they also tell you to invest on top of the premium the ZXa5 go for in dedicated processing to protect the drivers. The FBT is the BEST STAND ALONE 2-way of the two because it comes with all required processing built in, it doesn't have to have it's bass turned down to turn the volume up as the ZXa5 manual instructs you to, the FBT also goes deeper & higher then the ZXa5 in the frequency range, it doesn't suffer from the hole in the midrange that the ZXa5 does, it doesn't get to sounding harsh when pushed like the ZXA5 does, it comes in a couple hundred dollars (at least) cheaper then the ZXa5, it weighs roughly 15lbs less then the ZXa5, comes with a limiter light with full driver protection unlike the ZXa5, has better handle configuration then the ZXa5, & delivers comparable SPL output, delivers. I still agree the ZXa5 is a much better looking cabinet though.

ampnation
04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I was going to bring up the FBT Promaxx14a but I see it has already been taken care of. :lol:

I think most of the differences are relatively minor and so it becomes a matter of what your priorities are and for most considerations, they are still relatively minor. The previous posts have done a good job of vetting the various differences so I won't rehash.

And for what it's worth, I think for my purposes, the FBT would be the winner between the two, but in this general price range I would be looking at QSC and RCF as well for their wood and/or 3-way options that didn't make it into the linked shootout. I still think I would go with FBT for one major reason... weight.

GaFFLe
04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
huh?, I had a bunch of links up but took them ALL down, I also had a lot of other info posted so what are you on about by posting this? You tried posting that link to prove the FBT ProMaxx 14a was 50% cheaper than the ZXa5. Once you realized that $859 was for the passive version, you removed the link but I had already caught your oversight.

You know I just couldn't understand why you are coming off so strong on this topic when it has gotten to the point of repeat mode. I had a hunch & looked into it & I proved my hunch right.. You've been fighting this fight for awhile now on other forums,... Following me on other forums? That's stalker status don't you think? But it doesn't matter what I've written on other forums because it's all in reference to the same point and the fact is, I'm right and you are wrong. You also are on repeat mode about a "hole in the midrange" and some calculated specs that amount to a hill of beans when the actual owners of the equipment experience and know otherwise. Even the article that did the actual comparisons states otherwise.

... you just want the ZXa5 to be what they just aren't. You can make a car as fast as you want it to be but if the rest of the car can't support what the engine is generating then what's the point???? RTFM, EV tells you that you need to back off the bass if you want to reach the top SPL, they also tell you to invest on top of the premium the ZXa5 go for in dedicated processing to protect the drivers. The FBT is the BEST STAND ALONE 2-way of the two because it comes with all required processing built in, it doesn't have to have it's bass turned down to turn the volume up as the ZXa5 manual instructs you to, the FBT also goes deeper & higher then the ZXa5 in the frequency range, it doesn't suffer from the hole in the midrange that the ZXa5 does, it doesn't get to sounding harsh when pushed like the ZXA5 does, it comes in a couple hundred dollars (at least) cheaper then the ZXa5, it weighs roughly 15lbs less then the ZXa5, comes with a limiter light with full driver protection unlike the ZXa5, has better handle configuration then the ZXa5, & delivers comparable SPL output, delivers. I still agree the ZXa5 is a much better looking cabinet though. "FBT is the BEST STAND ALONE 2-way..." and most of your other ramblings are a whole other debate of which you can have with someone else. In reference to this thread and debate, I challenge you to show me where I've said the ZXa5 was the best all around speaker... I only pointed out that it was the top choice from the article. Now as far as having more output than the EV ZXa5, the ProMaxx14a doesn't, none of the powered two-ways less than $2k do (which was my original point). That article and its conclusion proves the point but your assumptions don't.

Incognito
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
You tried posting that link to prove the FBT ProMaxx 14a was 50% cheaper than the ZXa5. Once you realized that $859 was for the passive version, you removed the link but I had already caught your oversight.

Wrong, I posted a couple listings for the speaker & that was a link I gave actually agreeing with you that the only one I can find in the States for 50% less is the passive version (which I had stated with the link but you seem to not to of included that little detail. I then deleted the adtion to my prior post to make a new post but then read the post by Evil Steve & decided to squash the whole debate so never re-posted my intended post.

[FONT=century gothic]Following me on other forums? That's stalker status don't you think? But it doesn't matter what I've written on other forums because it's all in reference to the same point and the fact is, I'm right and you are wrong. You also are on repeat mode about a "hole in the midrange" and some calculated specs that amount to a hill of beans when the actual owners of the equipment experience and know otherwise. Even the article that did the actual comparisons states otherwise.

"FBT is the BEST STAND ALONE 2-way..." and most of your other ramblings are a whole other debate of which you can have with someone else. In reference to this thread and debate, I challenge you to show me where I've said the ZXa5 was the best all around speaker... I only pointed out that it was the top choice from the article. Now as far as having more output than the EV ZXa5, the ProMaxx14a doesn't, none of the powered two-ways less than $2k do (which was my original point). That article and its conclusion proves the point but your assumptions don't.

You're too funny, I told you I was trying to figure out why you're holding so strong onto something that isn't all that deep & the only two things that came to mind. Either A you're trying to defend them because you own them or B you have something against FBT, I was leaning more with option B so looked into it & found I was right. From my finding this gem of information I see you have been told by actual FBT Promaxx 14a owners that they do perform as stated but you're still in denial but that's ok (it's a process, it takes time)....... You say I am basing my position of the ZXa5 on this review, a review that was thrown into my face in this tread that did more damage to the ZXa5 then help it, one that went right along the lines of what I stated on the ZXa5 over a year ago on DJF 1.0 (you even agreed with me on certain points I made about the short comings of the ZXa5 at that time as you did this time as well). Open you're mind to other potentials, there's so much more to the world, makes no sense closing your mind to other options when the facts are so clearly laid out in front of you. On a count for count pros vs cons the ZXa5 has much more cons going against it while the Promaxx 14a has much more pros then cons going for it with the only obvious con is it's "different look". As for it's SPL rating a couple of the Promaxx 14a owners have already laid that little debate to rest so why are you still running on with it. Let's give the ZXa5 the benefit of the doubt & say it does edge out the Promaxx 14a, the difference will be less then 3db yet the PromaXX 14a still keeps it's musical integrity right on up to full potential while the ZXa5 does not, The Promaxx 14a offers full driver protection while you're pushing the limits of speaker while the ZXa5 does not, the Promaxx 14a will play stronger in the lower frequencies right on up to full spec without outside processing or dedicated subs in comparison to the ZXa5.

Really if you get to the point that you need to push your tops to the point that they start to sound a bit harsh, it's time to bring a bigger rig to the gig so really any potential SPL advantage the ZXa5 may or may not have over the Promaxx 14a is a none issue. It's obvious that all these facts are just flying over your head since you're too set in your ways to open your mind to anything else so....... My whole point is there are other options out there & as I already stated SPL alone is far from everything when it comes to rating how good a speaker is, especially when that SPL comes at a price of quality.

windspeed36
04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Really if you get to the point that you need to push your tops to the point that they start to sound a bit harsh, it's time to bring a bigger rig to the gig

That is why I don't get why people get so caught up in a 2 or 3dB difference of peak SPL..

GaFFLe
04-24-2012, 06:39 AM
You're too funny, I told you I was trying to figure out why you're holding so strong onto something that isn't all that deep & the only two things that came to mind. Either A you're trying to defend them because you own them or B you have something against FBT, I was leaning more with option B so looked into it & found I was right. From my finding this gem of information I see you have been told by actual FBT Promaxx 14a owners that they do perform as stated but you're still in denial... Most of those guys were FBT Himaxx owners. The other was just now receiving his new Promaxx after the article was created and like you say, they're defending their speaker and perceptions of it because they actually 'own' it. Please cease your research of me via other forums... it's a little creepy.

You say I am basing my position of the ZXa5 on this review, a review that was thrown into my face in this tread that did more damage to the ZXa5 then help it, one that went right along the lines of what I stated on the ZXa5 over a year ago on DJF 1.0 (you even agreed with me on certain points I made about the short comings of the ZXa5 at that time as you did this time as well)... Let's give the ZXa5 the benefit of the doubt & say it does edge out the Promaxx 14a, the difference will be less then 3db yet the PromaXX 14a still keeps it's musical integrity right on up to full potential while the ZXa5 does not, The Promaxx 14a offers full driver protection while you're pushing the limits of speaker while the ZXa5 does not, the Promaxx 14a will play stronger in the lower frequencies right on up to full spec without outside processing or dedicated subs in comparison to the ZXa5.

Really if you get to the point that you need to push your tops to the point that they start to sound a bit harsh, it's time to bring a bigger rig to the gig so really any potential SPL advantage the ZXa5 may or may not have over the Promaxx 14a is a none issue. It's obvious that all these facts are just flying over your head since you're too set in your ways to open your mind to anything else so.......

You're full of conjecture and you don't have to tell me the not-enough-rig-for-the-gig rule. You're wavering now, don't have a leg to stand on and trying to morph this SPL debate into other comparisons. Stand behind your original point when you attempted to prove the FBT ProMaxx 14a would had more SPL output than the ZXa5 simply based on EV's half-space measurements and FBT's reported 135dB max SPL. You base your opinions on manufacturer specs alone w/o regard to ever hearing the unit in question and totally disregard what the article states about the EV's output capability.

I'm just realizing, I'm debating with the same guy that claimed (on this forum) some single driver 15" bandpass powered sub had the same comparable output as the Yorkville LS801P just because the specs said so... :lol:

Based on that, here's your new status with me... http://www.socialstrategy1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ignore-Button-and-Social-Media-Monitoring.jpg

That is why I don't get why people get so caught up in a 2 or 3dB difference of peak SPL..
That's understandable. In reference to this back-n-forth chatter, it's just a SPL debate and it doesn't amount to much as people will choose speakers based on their budget, need, looks, reviews and whatever. I'm not knocking the ProMaxx's sound quality. I've stated other places that they are most likely the best choice for MI-level speakers based on their low price point. My only knock on them is they're not aesthetically appealing to me which is one of the factors in my equipment buying decisions. [/thread]

Incognito
04-24-2012, 06:59 AM
I stand by my original posting, it's just obvious it's getting nowhere so I was simply strengthening my position by having multiple points to back up my original position rather then worrying about a decibel here or there that makes no difference anyway. I still stand by the post & have made multiple points to back it up along with factual data while the only opposition I have received being based on an opinion on aesthetics & a variance of a potential one or two db with no factual data backing the claim. I rest my case.

Paris McBryde
04-24-2012, 12:11 PM

You're full of conjecture and you don't have to tell me the not-enough-rig-for-the-gig rule. You're wavering now, don't have a leg to stand on and trying to morph this SPL debate into other comparisons. Stand behind your original point when you attempted to prove the FBT ProMaxx 14a would had more SPL output than the ZXa5 simply based on EV's half-space measurements and FBT's reported 135dB max SPL. You base your opinions on manufacturer specs alone w/o regard to ever hearing the unit in question and totally disregard what the article states about the EV's output capability.

I'm just realizing, I'm debating with the same guy that claimed (on this forum) some single driver 15" bandpass powered sub had the same comparable output as the Yorkville LS801P just because the specs said so... :lol:

[/thread]
Ive been following this thread and for the reasons you guys mentioned, i refused to take part in the debate. The debate was over after this was said "At some point the condemnation or praise of gear based entirely on dubious recirculated internet quotes gets ridiculous. If you haven't actually tried the gear yourself then how can you be so adamantly opinionated?"

Lesson learned , dont waste your time....
I too own the ev-zxa5's, purchased them from audiopyle btw;)......

Incognito
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Ive been following this thread and for the reasons you guys mentioned, i refused to take part in the debate. The debate was over after this was said "At some point the condemnation or praise of gear based entirely on dubious recirculated internet quotes gets ridiculous. If you haven't actually tried the gear yourself then how can you be so adamantly opinionated?"

Lesson learned , dont waste your time....
I too own the ev-zxa5's, purchased them from audiopyle btw;)......

good thing I have huh..

audiopyle
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
good thing I have huh..

No. You may have heard them, but if you had actually used them yourself and compared them to other powered speaker cabinets you would not be making some of the statements you've made in this thread. You are addressing a number of people here who DO use them regularly, and therefore KNOW that you are completely off base.

Incognito
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
No. You may have heard them, but if you had actually used them yourself and compared them to other powered speaker cabinets you would not be making some of the statements you've made in this thread. You are addressing a number of people here who DO use them regularly, and therefore KNOW that you are completely off base.

Very hypocritical really, when I was basing off of actual FBT owners I was told they where defending their own at a bias but here it is actual ZXa5 owners (& sellers) getting all in a twist . OK I'll make it clear, when I got to hear them was when I made the review on DJFM 1.0 over a year ago & this was based on actually hearing them (while using them as a guest DJ). Go through the posts & you'll see an actual owner (Gaffle himself) has agreed with me (slowly but surely) on most points, the review that was bought up in this thread as material to be used against my post actually said the same things I did over a year ago so how off base am I really?......

The people who wrote that article also based the comparison on actual performance
The folks in the article PERFORMED the actual real-world measurements and comparisons themselves
Yet when I use the information based from that very review I am being acused of rehashing..... You can't have it both ways.

I know of the ZXa5's shortcomings and I'm not ignoring anything... single handle, no limit light, slight-harshness.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2203/djfm1.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4134/djfm2.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9264/djfm3.jpg

blancnoir
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
way to jack my thread.. i got a headache reading the back and forth banter. never heard of FBT and prob wouldnt get them because no one in this area has ever heard of them or sell them (NJ) Theyre not a bad looking speaker.. could be worse like the JBTs people talk about on this board. QSCs are pure garbage and so is anything Mackie or JBL..

Im leaning towards the RCF 425s due to their sound clarity, weight, and size and will prob go with their pro series 8003 sub as well

As far as looks go, in NJ appearance is everything in an oversaturated market, I cannot roll into a $57k wedding with monster speakers that look like they belong in the Sci-Fi channel movie of the week.. hence why I asked your opinion in the first place, i should have mentioned that weight and looks are important because people WILL judge your appearance, from speakers, to facade, to your outfit, EVERY DJ should care about all these things in order to stand out, to be recognized as a true professional and not just another guy who got bored and downloaded virtual DJ. nothing irks me more than people that do not take pride in their appearance and sound

The ZXA5s are fine speakers.. but for that money I rather get and Italian-made RCF that I KNOW is a proven cabinet, now its just a matter of getting rid of a few things in order to get them.

Thanks for all your feedback (the constructive and informative ones at least)

windspeed36
04-24-2012, 11:49 PM
QSCs are pure garbage and so is anything Mackie or JBL..
Sorry what? :eek:

What experience have you had with JBL or QSC?

Also as to your mention of aesthetics, most JBL speakers look a hell of a lot better than anything that RCF produces. For example: JBL PRX, STX, VP and VRX series.

Paris McBryde
04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
I can only assume he's trolling at this point......lol

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I can only assume he's trolling at this point......lol

Hey there Paris McBryde,

I would be curious of your opinion of the NX750P. How about a comparison between your NX750Ps and ZX5As for a typical wedding gig stand alone for example.. I know we are talking about two very different price points but would like to know what you think of the NX750Ps used full range.

Thanks,
Al

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Just to add a little to the conversation of EV vs FBT. I agree the EV looks better and probably also seems louder, possibly due in part to its stronger mid voicing - typical of the EV speakers I've heard. As for sound quality, especially with playback music - I would guess the FBT and RCF have a more ear pleasing sound with a "sweeter" top end vs the EVs which often have a more "live" sound (the EV's I've heard in the past anyway). FWIW, I definitely prefer the look of the RCF over the FBT. :)

Of course my opinion, like that of many here reflects my experience with RCF and my not so secret love for their products. :love:

Honestly, either of the 3 are great speakers with more output than I would ever need in the typical wedding situations and bookings I do anyway. A few DBs extra or less wouldn't really make a difference in the end. Personally, I would go with the RCFs - no surprise there...

Al

GaFFLe
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Just to add a little to the conversation of EV vs FBT. I agree the EV looks better and probably also seems louder, possibly due in part to its stronger mid voicing - typical of the EV speakers I've heard. As for sound quality, especially with playback music - I would guess the FBT and RCF have a more ear pleasing sound with a "sweeter" top end vs the EVs which often have a more "live" sound (the EV's I've heard in the past anyway). FWIW, I definitely prefer the look of the RCF over the FBT. :)

Of course my opinion, like that of many here reflects my experience with RCF and my not so secret love for their products. :love:

Honestly, either of the 3 are great speakers with more output than I would ever need in the typical wedding situations and bookings I do anyway. A few DBs extra or less wouldn't really make a difference in the end. Personally, I would go with the RCFs - no surprise there...

Al
I actually think the RCF 7-series look pretty sweet. They're edgy but I like the look. It seems like you're in that next level of tops when the high compression driver is 2" or greater.

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I actually think the RCF 7-series look pretty sweet. They're edgy but I like the look. It seems like you're in that next level of tops when the high compression driver is 2" or greater.

For most of what I'm doing, I don't even need that level of tops. My 310As with single 720P have handled all of my recent wedding effortlessly (I have NEVER seen the clip lights activate on those little RCF 310As) yet...

About 25% of my yearly bookings are for Golden Age clubs and are done with a single set of 310As. There were complaints last time I tried to use different speakers! With the RCFs, they have no problem dancing in front of the speakers even at higher volumes. As an example, here is a video of last year's Christmas party (this is the biggest crowd I get for these golden age dances) the volume was actually fairly high :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgAWyMEAlc

Al

disbjohn
04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
way to jack my thread.. i got a headache reading the back and forth banter. never heard of FBT and prob wouldnt get them because no one in this area has ever heard of them or sell them (NJ) Theyre not a bad looking speaker.. could be worse like the JBTs people talk about on this board. QSCs are pure garbage and so is anything Mackie or JBL..

Im leaning towards the RCF 425s due to their sound clarity, weight, and size and will prob go with their pro series 8003 sub as well

As far as looks go, in NJ appearance is everything in an oversaturated market, I cannot roll into a $57k wedding with monster speakers that look like they belong in the Sci-Fi channel movie of the week.. hence why I asked your opinion in the first place, i should have mentioned that weight and looks are important because people WILL judge your appearance, from speakers, to facade, to your outfit, EVERY DJ should care about all these things in order to stand out, to be recognized as a true professional and not just another guy who got bored and downloaded virtual DJ. nothing irks me more than people that do not take pride in their appearance and sound

The ZXA5s are fine speakers.. but for that money I rather get and Italian-made RCF that I KNOW is a proven cabinet, now its just a matter of getting rid of a few things in order to get them.

Thanks for all your feedback (the constructive and informative ones at least)

Maybe wait until the RCF D-LINE is available. Check out the HD-12A or HD-10A

@Audiopyle (Mike), any word on when you will have them available? =)

blancnoir
04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
trolling. no im running a full time company, i dont have time to be checking if people are posting on my thread every five minutes

the entire QSC K-series line is garbage, hence why the 6 year warranty, the massive amounts of returns all the local dealers get, the absurd amount of them on sale via Facebook Craigslist etc, those things hit their limit in no time. Halls around here are NOT small and you need a lot of headroom to fill the space. Now if you wanna talk about their HPR series then thats a seperate convo, but theyre not longer made and hard to come by (at least in my experience)

ANYTHING jbl sucks. JUNK BUT LOUD, ugly looks, ugly performance, VRX is line arrays and who really is going to use that at a wedding? Youl have grandpa cursing you to no end

RCF is not sexy at all.. unless you get into their pro series.. but sound is amazing and best bang for the buck
]\

windspeed36
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
trolling. no im running a full time company, i dont have time to be checking if people are posting on my thread every five minutes

the entire QSC K-series line is garbage, hence why the 6 year warranty, the massive amounts of returns all the local dealers get, the absurd amount of them on sale via Facebook Craigslist etc, those things hit their limit in no time. Halls around here are NOT small and you need a lot of headroom to fill the space. Now if you wanna talk about their HPR series then thats a seperate convo, but theyre not longer made and hard to come by (at least in my experience)

ANYTHING jbl sucks. JUNK BUT LOUD, ugly looks, ugly performance, VRX is line arrays and who really is going to use that at a wedding? Youl have grandpa cursing you to no end

RCF is not sexy at all.. unless you get into their pro series.. but sound is amazing and best bang for the buck
]\

I'm sorry but what experience do you have with any of those brands? I am yet to hear a negative complaint about the KW series from QSC or the SRX/STX from JBL. The JBL VRX is barely even a line array as it is constant curvature and unable to be directed.

Paris McBryde
04-27-2012, 01:16 AM
oh yea, i no trollin when i see it.....lol

blancnoir
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
get a life

windspeed36
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
get a life

No, I am asking a serious question - what experience do you have with those brands?