PDA

View Full Version : What does a Mash-Up Look like (for you DJ's that like to make their own mash-ups!)

hazeion@gmail.com
04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
If you are like me, I like to construct my own mashups to play out when I gig. Here is a video of my ableton session of one of the mash-ups I did. I play through the whole thing so you can see it. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5UBFGzqwlU

Let me know what you think :) and hope it gives you guys some ideas and inspiration.

Haze ioN

hazeion@gmail.com
04-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Information about the songs used are in the youtube description. but feel free to ask questions here about the mash-up.

Synergy
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM
DOPE! wish i could do that!

manus
04-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Brilliant mash-up. I am only new to mash-ups (I have made about 4 in the last 3 years because of lack of time but concentrating on them before i go into the deep end of production now.) and I love the way this one is pieced together. I would also like to know the effects you used on the channels as that is one of my main problems making the transitions sound smooth and not sharp and sudden. Cheers, keep up the good work.

thehadgi
04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm confused... so do you use ableton to mashup live, or do you produce the mashup sequence beforehand and then press play?

EDIT: Oh, I think you are demonstrating how to make a mashup, correct?

hazeion@gmail.com
04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
yeah this is just a playthrough of a mash-up I did.

Nguvocity
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
dude that is awesome, is abelton hard to use? cause i would like to start making mash ups and start playing mashed up trakcs on my dj controller and stuff!

Wakka
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Looks like it is clipping... a lot

RDRCK
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Looks like it is clipping... a lot

Get outta here with that crazy talk! Dynamics? What the fuck you talkin bout son?! Lil' Weezy! Woka Floka FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!

DJArmani
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I usually do my mashups live... No need for software.

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 10:56 AM

This is the next dvs vs vinyl argument. :lol:

Atomisk
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
This mentality is so silly. What's the point of playing them live? You lose so much sound quality. I'd never try to play more than two songs at once using the controls at my disposal while DJing. A volume fader and a 3 band EQ... You're really supposed to do live mashups with that? Are you trying to sound bad? hahahaha....

thehadgi
04-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I do mash ups with my mind :eek:

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I do mash ups with my mind :eek:

http://www.paulohsms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/staredad-meme.jpg

Nick Bike
04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
This mentality is so silly. What's the point of playing them live? You lose so much sound quality. I'd never try to play more than two songs at once using the controls at my disposal while DJing. A volume fader and a 3 band EQ... You're really supposed to do live mashups with that? Are you trying to sound bad? hahahaha....

how do u lose sound quality?

alazydj
04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
You could "improve" the sound-quality with proper monitoring and the trial and error aspect of producing.

It's not that you would lose quality by performing live though. Not unless you just redline the whole thing.

hazeion@gmail.com
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
I am a somewhat experienced producer. I've addressed the clipping issue in the youtube comments. Ableton uses peak db monitor. When listening to the track you can not hear any clipping since it is only the sharp transients that are causing the spikes above the 0db mark. I did not want to throw a limiter on the tracks because these are all ready mastered and limited tracks as is. limiting them even more hurts the sound more than letting the transients cause the spikes above the the 0db mark.

I always trust my ears FIRST rather than trusting what I see.

above doing mash-ups live.. yes I do that too.. all my DJ tutorial vids I have on my youtube I actually go over live mash-ups. Doing it live has a cool dynamic to it. doing it in ableton and pre-made, you get the polish. there is a good and bad side!

hazeion@gmail.com
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
and about dynamic range.. that is another debate all together. I perform, produce and DJ house music. But I am also a classically trained trumpet player. I defintely have an awareness of dynamic range. Most commercial house music (festival music specifically) generally doesn't have a large dynamic range. Whether you agree with that or not, well.. thats just how it is. *shrug* If you look at my master volume. You can see it bouncing. its not like I have it maxed out all the time, and ive adjusted the volumes on the tracks enough to BARELY go over the clip mark. I sometimes have 3-4 tracks playing at any given time. CUT ME SOME SLACK! :)

boomblastmashups
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
I created a mashup and remix website that allows you to search mashups by hip hop artist. There's a page full of mashups for each popular hip hop artist. www.boomblastmashups.com