PDA

View Full Version : Need a second mixer, suggestions?

HStanford1
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Right now I've got a Xone 62 that I keep mostly at home and for gigs at proper venues. I've been wanting to get a small 2 or 3 channel that I can take to house parties and other small gigs instead of lugging around my 4 channel.
As it stands I'm looking at the Xone 22, DJM-250, and the NOX404. Any other suggestions? Trying to not break the 300 dollark mark :)
I just need a solid mixer, effects are nice but I don't really care for them. A decent crossfader would also be great, although not necessary.

Thanks and good to see DJF back up!

bloomer
02-06-2012, 02:37 PM
You'll feel most at home on the A&H obviously, but the DJM-250 isn't a bad choice either. I'd go with the Xone 22 because you can find a second hand one at a decent price on the internet. The DJM-250 is quite new, so you probably won't find them for sale second hand.

HStanford1
02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
True, I was just eyeing the DJM 250 for the dual filters, but I have yet to see a good review as far as the EQ, faders and etc. Are they on par with Xone 22 in terms of build quality and clarity?

frandomeda
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
The only thing I don't like about the Xone 22 was that it had no on and off button, it did a huge click noise when disconnected too. Sound quality was good though and weight. I am a bit more interested in the Pioneer though if I were to get a smaller mixer like that again

Estacy
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
go with the Ecler Nuo 2.0. built like a tank, beats the 22 quality wise (not gonna mention the 250) eq and sound is great, faders are top notch and it has shitton of ins and outs to connect everything. really great nifty mixer.

HStanford1
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Man that Ecler looks prime! And not too much space taken up, diggin' it for smaller gigs!

ElectroManiac
02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I also vouch for the Nuo 2.0

I used for like 3 years and until the last day I have it, it look like new. It is build like a little tank and the eq pots are amazing. Sound quality was top notch.

HStanford1
02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Anyone got a used one they'd let go of? :D

ampnation
02-11-2012, 05:18 PM
I've got a Nuo 3 but shipping to TN might be expensive. Also, I wouldn't consider it to be a "small" mixer unless you're only concerned about the width. My take is, it is designed to work well with tables like the 1200 turned sideways. With a pair of CDJ400's it made the tables look small. I have it in a Pelikan carry on rolling case.

Pavin
04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Becareful with the Xone22 not only from personal issues I've had, but what I've read..

DJNR
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Becareful with the Xone22 not only from personal issues I've had, but what I've read..

He's right. As someone mentioned in the thread he started, there was some quality control issues going on with them being made in China, so some are faulty.

I would go with the Ecler, honestly.

Pavin
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Why not spend a tad more and pick up a used Empath? (also something I'm looking into if A&H refuses to call me back)

Dix
04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I am not a mixer guy so I have a question that is rather "newbie". Besides more features & dependability, what makes one mixer better than the other? I guess what I am asking is about the sound quality. Is there really a difference? If I have ONE system & I use a cheap $50 mixer today & change to a $500 mixer tomorrow, will I really be able to tell any difference in sound? I am sure there is a difference due to better components but, it seem that most discussions here are about features & dependability rather than sound. Thanks for any advice :)

Rick_N
04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Sound is subjective, but yes a better mixer will have a better quality. Which will more than likely there will be a noticeable difference to your ears and everyone else.

Also the more you spend, usually can equate to better quality, not always but most of the time. Id rather pay a large amount of cash and have a great mixer for 5+ years. Rather than keep buying crappy mixers year after year.

ampnation
04-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Oh? What sort of issues?

prODucer
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Another vote for the ecler 2.0 or 3.0.

DJNR
04-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Let me put it this way, I have a Korg Zero 4 that was replaced by a DJM900NXS not too long ago. When I started mixing on the NXS, I noticed the sound difference IMMEDIATELY.

djpenguin
04-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh? What sort of issues?

Quality control stuff. The power jacks break lose from the PCB, the filter buttons fail in several different ways, the crossfaders die incredibly fast, and a whole host of other similar issues.

ampnation
04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Quality control stuff. The power jacks break lose from the PCB, the filter buttons fail in several different ways, the crossfaders die incredibly fast, and a whole host of other similar issues.

And just the Xone : 22 ? I love my MixWizard and had always thought the Xone : 22 was on my short list of higher quality 2 channel analog mixers along with the 56S, Nuo 2, Xone 02, X120 and DJM250.

Pavin
04-01-2012, 11:34 PM
And just the Xone : 22 ? I love my MixWizard and had always thought the Xone : 22 was on my short list of higher quality 2 channel analog mixers along with the 56S, Nuo 2, Xone 02, X120 and DJM250.

Let me put it this way, the ones before they moved to the factory in china seem to still be running, and gigged with often..

Mine, while I absolutely loved it when it was working is having several issues.

ampnation
04-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Let me put it this way, the ones before they moved to the factory in china seem to still be running, and gigged with often..

Mine, while I absolutely loved it when it was working is having several issues.

Good to know.

djpenguin
04-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Everything built by A&H in China seems to have quality control issues. The Xone:22 has only ever been built in China, and has tons of problems. The 42 and 92 are popular enough that a fair number of them have been built in China as well, and they also have problems. The older UK-built stuff seems to work fine, as do the newer UK-built flagship mixers (DB2 & DB4.)

*EDIT* To clarify, I'm talking about A&H's DJ (Xone) gear lineup. I'm not familiar enough with their live sound boards to make any judgements or observations about them.

Linguist
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Agreed. I have an ecler 3.0, myself.
It is super sturdy/hardy, sounds great, looks damn sexy (not a huge fan of flashing lights though, so this is super minimal), big pots that people with big hands like... i'm a woman so my hands are tiny, but still appreciate the knob size.
ZERO effects built-in. keep that in mind.

Sounds great though, love it.

Pavin
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
What about a used Rane Empath?

(I'm also considering a this or the nuo 2.)

DJ NuVo
04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
What about a used Rane Empath?

(I'm also considering a this or the nuo 2.)

thats what im doing right now! i was deciding to get a new mixer and i chose the empath as my first choice and nuo my second

Estacy
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Ecler still build all their stuff in Spain, no quality control issues there. Their mixers are the best in their price class, hell, better than more expensive mixer. The Nuo 4.0 for example quality wise surpasses nearly everything in the 1200+ dollar range, even though its quite a lot cheaper

drop1
04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
The only thing I don't like about the Xone 22 was that it had no on and off button, it did a huge click noise when disconnected too. Sound quality was good though and weight. I am a bit more interested in the Pioneer though if I were to get a smaller mixer like that again

With any sound system your supposed to turn off the amp before disconnecting or powering down any source of audio. Its just the proper way to do things.

ampnation
04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I would also look at discontinued models from the likes of Rane, A&H and Ecler or even Pioneer and Denon. There are bound to be bargains in every category if you want quality at a lower price and can live without a warranty. I was just checking out some rackmounts from Rane like the MP44 which seem to be represent a great value. I'm sure similar values exist for table top mixers, especially if one is looking for a solid analog mixer without frills.