PDA

View Full Version : Track selection

Kevwin
07-12-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm new to DJing and learning to mix dnb/jungle/ragga jungle. However, I feel as if I'm mixing random tunes together.
Could anyone help with track selection to try and keep the "flow"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not Applicable
07-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Learning to mix tracks requires a lot of practice to do it well. It took me years and I am still perfecting my style.

Starting with random tracks will actually help you learn faster. I wouldn't be too focused on track selection early in the game.

Once you can mix, you can start making decisions on finding that next track.

Kevwin
07-12-2017, 08:03 PM
I think I'm kinda there with the mixing. Not do much with the counting but with the feeling. I can feel when I should bring in the next tune. Make no mistake, I'm still a long way from good but I'm losing inspiration due to not being able to blend a few tunes together without it sounding like a train crash ��

light-o-matic
07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
If you practice with tracks that you know are the same bpm, that makes it a little easier to practice the other aspects of mixing. Start with getting the tracks beat and phrase matched then get a feel for phrases by cutting back and forth between the two tracks

mitchiemasha
07-13-2017, 01:21 AM
I'm confused. You're saying you're getting there with the beats and when to mix but it's still sounding like a train crash. Which is it, are you struggling with beats, sound of the mix or the flow (as you said in the OP) of a set?

Achmiel
07-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Do people mix dnb/jungle/ragga jungle harmonically?

You, as the DJ, need to figure out what songs go together well for the overall flow of the mix. When I do my monthly mix, once I figure out what songs I want to include, I listen to them all over and over to get an idea of how they all fit together. It's like a puzzle. Sometimes I have to drop songs and add new ones to make it work.

Kevwin
07-13-2017, 01:17 PM
It's mainly the flow. To me it just doesn't sound right