PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Chicago

Spife
04-13-2012, 12:54 AM
So I might be moving to Chicago soon. I'm a 22 year old house DJ and I've been mixing for about 2 years now I think. I play deep house and disco house mostly. My questions are:

1. How hard would it be to get a gig, not knowing anyone?
2. Not knowing much about Chicago, where's a good location to live that's close to record shops, clubs and public transportation? (Better asked, where are the record shops/night clubs :lol: )

I guess that was all, thanks for any help.

Tito Lopez
05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Chicago is a really competetive place for a DJ. You will be competing with DJ's that grew up listening to house since they were sucking on a titty. There is a certain style of mixing and music that is unique to chicago.

If you have deep pockets, I suggest living in the north side close to Gramaphone records, there are plenty of little recordshops @ there. Plus you got Boys Town north of there and there are a lot of bars that could offer gigs. stay away from the far west side, its murder town and stay away from
the south east side. Although the SE side has some good record shops but tend to be in nasty neighborhoods and should be visited with a native.

Now if your bling bling, go live in the gold coast. Its near the loop and also has alot of bars around there. I suggest going to 5chicago magazine's website. Look at the classifieds for clubs.

Feel free to question me. Good luck.

Blueprint
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
yeah man i lived in wicker park/bucktown area for a few years and one more in the south loop. basically,

1 - not that hard, just go to the club, and ask one of hte djs when they're aren't spinning. have a mix or something on hand. I love smartbar.

2 - probably wrigleyville if you can afford it.