PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer djm 900 vs Allen & Heath DB2nexus?? B. b

prODucer
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
So what exactly does traktor certified actually mean? If I bought this mixer would I not need to buy the traktor audio 8 or 10 or whatever? Would I only need to purchase the software part of traktor or...,.? I am also thinking about the DB2. Obviously they are both completely midi capable but only the 900 is traktor certified? I am a long time serato user but if the 900 nexus makes using traktor easier and cheaper then maybe I'll give that a go instead. I'm really struggling between these two mixers. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sorry I messed up the title of this thread. Im using tapatalk and cannot edit it!

prODucer
04-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Guess I'll be doing my own research on the subject.....

Synergy
04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
if you use the db2 you do not need a traktor auto 6 or 10 or whatever, it is built in :) Traktor certified, from my experience means that you can plug it in and it works right away with traktor. everything is assignable even the rotary knobs can be switched as the volume faders instead of wet dry effects!!

the db2/4 is the best way to go. that thing is a beast!!

Synergy
04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154187

about the db4..not 2 but they should be the same?

Andrew B
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154187

about the db4..not 2 but they should be the same?

Right, neither are Traktor Certified. The DJM-900 is.

Traktor Certified means you don't have to use an external interface. If you want to use a certified mixer with timecode, then you need to buy the Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Software & Timecode Kit, which is $119.

prODucer
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok thanks very much guys! So there aren't any mixers that are serato certified are there? But the midi capabilities of either of these mixers would be great to control serato. That doesn't help save me any cash though if I want to go with ssl ad not traktor. Going with the 900 and traktor is tempting but I really do love serato!

I'm leaning towards the db 2!! I'm not huge into effects but I'd like to be. The input matrix is pretty cool and I love the ability to switch eq modes! I've owned pioneer mixers (909 and 400) and I have also owned the a&h xone 92. Much better experiences with the xone for sure. So I'm thinking I will have a set up which includes 2 cdj 900s, an a&h db2 and serato eventually. I may or may not keep my tech 1200s which means I will either grab the sl4 or the sl3. For now I'm happy with my ecler evo 4 but I'm drooling for a new mixer!! Again. Thanks for the help guys.

Andrew B
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
The Serato Scratch Live equivalent would be the Rane TTM-57, 61, 62, and 68.

prODucer
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah but I'm not a fan of those....too bad other companies don't hop on with serato..

Adzm00
04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I had this dilemma.

Chose the DJM850. Its a really tough decision to make imo.

prODucer
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
It is....and here is my reasoning. I love allen and heath except their faders. I dont know why? I just dont like how long they are or something? I love the "feel" of the pioneer faders but Im not a big fan of anything else on the pioneer. I think they are way overpriced for what they offer. I also like the Pioneer's look better than the Allen & Heath's. Performance wise I think the DB2 would blow the Pioneer out of the water. The efects and pretty much everything else would be way better but maybe harder to use? I think I have made my choice. Putting down a deposit to order the DB2 tomorrow. Pretty sure Ill be happy with it. Even if the faders are too long! lol

frandomeda
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
The DJM900 is worth every penny. Not going to say A&H isnt... But Pioneers just feel right in every way.

prODucer
04-13-2012, 12:35 PM
The DJM900 is worth every penny. Not going to say A&H isnt... But Pioneers just feel right in every way.

Ya thats the thing. Either way would be great Im sure. But its a tough one!

frandomeda
04-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Once you do it, it wont hurt no longer

prODucer
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Haha. Yep. It's a tough one! And that white nexus just makes it tougher too!! That between two black cdj 900s could be pretty sweet looking! Like a sexy zebra!

Dave Porter
04-13-2012, 12:54 PM
The A&H mixers great filters.

I sold my S4 for a xone 4D, and I haven't looked back.

prODucer
04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah I remember that Dave from the 92. Back then though I didn't know how to use them properly, so I'm eager to try them again with my knowledge now! But then I don't get the sexy zebra!! So I don't know!!

hoff
04-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Check out my db2 review on the main page. I compare the db2 to the 900 in a couple areas. Overall, the db2 is a far more advanced mixer, and its less than the 900. The 900 doesn't feel new in any way, just improved from the 800.

prODucer
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I did read that hoff, thanks! Just ordered my db2 today!!! So excited! Gonna be a long 2 weeks! Haha

I'm positive I made the right choice now ;)

ElectroManiac
04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
I did read that hoff, thanks! Just ordered my db2 today!!! So excited! Gonna be a long 2 weeks! Haha

I'm positive I made the right choice now ;)

Congrats man, I'm sure you will enjoy the DB2.

prODucer
04-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Congrats man, I'm sure you will enjoy the DB2.

Thanks man. Now to come up with the rest of the cash!! haha

Era 7
04-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Check out my db2 review on the main page. I compare the db2 to the 900 in a couple areas. Overall, the db2 is a far more advanced mixer, and its less than the 900. The 900 doesn't feel new in any way, just improved from the 800.

that's pretty much what pioneer intended to do.

prODucer
04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
So I called long & mcquade today to check on my db2 order and after a week of being lied to the guy on the phone says that the purchase order was just put in at a&h Canada today! And it won't be in for at least 2 or 3 more weeks!

So my question is, do I take my deposit and find a db2 elsewhere or settle for a djm 900 nexus? I am pretty set on the db2 but I hate waiting! Hopefully I can find one some where that is actually in stock!! Such a piss off!

Synergy
04-27-2012, 07:46 PM
db2...hands down, but ask for a discount for the inconvenience.

prODucer
04-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah I have decided to search elsewhere for the db2. I was thinking that at least if I bought the 900 nexus now I could sell it in a bit to then buy the db2! Haha I have heard the the crossfader is pretty crappy for scratching and such. No worries for me there tho.

I do have a q tho. I was watching a YouTube vid and saw that u use the crossfader x/y selector switch to also assign the effects processors so what happens if you mix without the crossfader at all? Like if I have the channels set to thru and the cf turned off? Can u do that and still assign the effects to the two channels I am using at the time or do the channels have to be assigned to a side of the c fader?

Pretty sure I watched your video review dj blaze. ;)

hoff
04-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah I have decided to search elsewhere for the db2. I was thinking that at least if I bought the 900 nexus now I could sell it in a bit to then buy the db2! Haha I have heard the the crossfader is pretty crappy for scratching and such. No worries for me there tho.

I do have a q tho. I was watching a YouTube vid and saw that u use the crossfader x/y selector switch to also assign the effects processors so what happens if you mix without the crossfader at all? Like if I have the channels set to thru and the cf turned off? Can u do that and still assign the effects to the two channels I am using at the time or do the channels have to be assigned to a side of the c fader?

Pretty sure I watched your video review dj blaze. ;)

Yes, you can turn the CF off completely and use the toggle for fx-assign only.

prODucer
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks hoff. I kinda figured but never actually saw or read or heard how that was done.

hoff
04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks hoff. I kinda figured but never actually saw or read or heard how that was done.

no probs, good luck on your purchase!

prODucer
04-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Yep! Found a place that had 2 units left yesterday....so I'm ordering mine tomorrow! I think I'll be paying for express shipping too! Really excited about this one!

prODucer
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Placed my order and paid in full! Should have my db2 by early next week at the latest!!!! So excited!

TocaTone
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Guys, I've had a DJM-900 pretty much since release and while it's by far one of the best mixers I've used, I'm really curious about the DB2. The 900 sounds great for a Pio and the build quality is there, but I can't help to think the DB2 is even better in all areas and not to mention is more reasonably priced.

Can anyone comment on the knob and fader quality of the DB2 and compare it to DJMs??? Sadly I've never used an A&H mixer and I hear they are built like tanks but I seriously hate loose and wobbly feeling knobs and faders on mixers which is common even on higher end brands. Luckily the 900 feels solid as a rock even after hard use, but I'm wondering if the same should be expected for the db2/db4 after extended use.

Synergy
05-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Allen and Heath is better than Pioneer. Hands down. GREAT quality, always. Tight knobs, faders are GREAT.

Adzm00
05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Just apparently, the DB series doesn't sound as good as the DJM900. This is coming from a friend who is sound engineer at ministry of sound here in London.

I can't say I really have the ability (read tech) to properly analyse this, but he has no reason to not tell me the truth as he was helping me out re: choosing which mixer to buy.

prODucer
05-01-2012, 07:44 AM
I know my xone 92 was as strong and sturdy as can be and I will assume the db2 will be also. I will admit though, I do remember not being thrilled about the faders on the 92 compared to those on other brands, but I will let you know how the db2 faders compare ASAP. It wasn't that the 92s faders felt cheap, they just didn't have that crisp clink that I think all us djs love! The knobs are delicious but I may miss the chunkiness of my evo 4 knobs.

I am no expert but I will throw up a mini imho review as soon as I can. ;)

TocaTone
05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it when you get it. Seriously considering selling my 900.

prODucer
05-05-2012, 07:27 AM
2-3 more business days!!!! Don't I pay enough taxes to have Canada post running over the weekend?! I would say so....

noize_unit
05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it when you get it. Seriously considering selling my 900.

if you do end up selling it, i might have to take it off your hands as sadly i cant use my DVS setup with the DB2/4

hoff
05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Ah, you beat me to it! Thanks for watching the reviews

I own this mixer/wrote my own review ;)

prODucer
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4711c6db-6d05-da80.jpg

It's came eaaaaarrrrrrrrlllllyyyy!!!!

hoff
05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
you must be happy, no word for 2hrs :fap:

bkim921
05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4711c6db-6d05-da80.jpg

It's came eaaaaarrrrrrrrlllllyyyy!!!!

Congrats!

DJ DU
05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
I can't wait to hear your review. Please hurry..lol. I'm getting married in a week so I had to sell my 900 Nexus for $600 less than I paid with a case to by booze for the wedding. I gig 5 nights a week and I need to buy something right after my wedding. On the fence between going back to a Pioneer 900 nexus or save a little or go with the db2. One big concern is that when play festivals and Vegas the Pioneer 900 or 800 is always the mixer set up. I opened for Avicii, Benny, Hypercrush, Incubus among many others and 4 CDJ 2000s and a 900 Nexus is always the setup. I already now the 900 well so I can adopt to whatever but the DB2 looks interesting. Can't wait to see your review.

prODucer
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
First thoughts:

Holy $£>%!!!! What a mother-f***ing amazing mixer!!! Wow!! Just bloody amazing!!! The effects are phenomenal!! Just utterly gorgeous!! This and/or the db4 are what all other mixer should want to be when they grow up!! I haven't been so impressed with a piece of dj gear ever before!!

I do have a q for other db2 owners though...when I plug in my cdj900s I have to set the switch to analog to get sound when using RCA cords? Is the dig option only for when I use digital input cords? And what are those exactly? I thought my cdjs came with them but they don't fit?

prODucer
05-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I will do a more technical review soon btw. ;)

prODucer
05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4711c6db-41dc-e44e.jpg

DJ DU
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The Dig is for digital input only. You must use digital cables from your 900's to the mixer.

DJ DU
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
The Dig is for digital input only. You must use digital cables from your 900's to the mixer

Era 7
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
looking good :)

prODucer
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Ahh.. Thanks. Yeah the cdjs came with a cord that I thought was a digital cable but it doesn't fit in the back of the db2??
Not sure what those are?

Andrew B
05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Ahh.. Thanks. Yeah the cdjs came with a cord that I thought was a digital cable but it doesn't fit in the back of the db2??
Not sure what those are?

You need digital RCA cables.

If you're referring to the 3.5mm cable that comes with CDJs, that's for fader start.

prODucer
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh right Andrew, I remember that now thanks.....I'll be sure to pick up some of the digital cables next time I can..

DJ DU
05-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Not sure what those are?

Don't forget the CDJs come with CAT 5 cables also. They enable them to link with each other and the DJM 900 Nexus for use with Pioneer Record Box DJ software via USB thumb drives or hard drives The large festival shows I do when we have multiple. DJs it's that is the software of choice.

prODucer
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Don't forget the CDJs come with CAT 5 cables also. They enable them to link with each other and the DJM 900 Nexus for use with Pioneer Record Box DJ software via USB thumb drives or hard drives The large festival shows I do when we have multiple. DJs it's that is the software of choice.

Yep I'm using those cables for sure. I have my one 900 hooked to a 2TB external drive and then that is linked to my other 900! Love it!!

DJ DU
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
How's the DB2 so far?

prODucer
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Bloody amazing!! I was just playing around with the "roller" effect which basically acts as a sampler or looper. Absolutely amazing!! There are so many possibilities with this thing! And the eqs are absolutely beautiful! And the filters!!! Are u kidding me!?! Ya maybe not as lush as the xone 92's but still more gorgeous than any other out there that I have heard!

In my humble opinion...I would NEVER recommend the 900 Nexus over this baby! Even if Pioneer payed me to! I have only scratched the surface and I am already absolutely stunned by this piece!

More later.....

DJ Nutty
05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Jelous as fook! :P

DJ DU
05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Bloody amazing!! I was just playing around with the "roller" effect which basically acts as a sampler or looper. Absolutely amazing!! There are so many possibilities with this thing! And the eqs are absolutely beautiful! And the filters!!! Are u kidding me!?! Ya maybe not as lush as the xone 92's but still more gorgeous than any other out there that I have heard!

In my humble opinion...I would NEVER recommend the 900 Nexus over this baby! Even if Pioneer payed me to! I have only scratched the surface and I am already absolutely stunned by this piece!

More later.....

Can you scratch at all or is it useless for that? I know you can adjust the cross faders but I heard the faders are too long for scratching. I just do some basic scratches on the line faders so I never use the x-fader. Can I get away with it?

prODucer
05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask about scratching but I would say that it is not meant for scratching really. U might get away with it ok though. I'll check it out a bit more and get back to u....

DJ DU
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask about scratching but I would say that it is not meant for scratching really. U might get away with it ok though. I'll check it out a bit more and get back to u....

Not that I want to enter a DMC Championship but I was wondering how it would compare to the faders on my 900 Nexus. I mostly spin EDM music but do some light scratching and at least I want to have that option to do it decently.

DJ DU
05-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Screw it.. I just bought a DB2. Shipping it overnight and should have it on friday. I can return it if it sucks...lol I have a DJM 900 Nexus also and will be able to have a side by side comparison and impression. Can't wait to hear PrODucer's thoughts also:)

prODucer
05-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Cool man! Yeah I have never tried the 900 nexus so I can't compare from personal experience. Would love to hear what you think.

DJ DU
05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Cool man! Yeah I have never tried the 900 nexus so I can't compare from personal experience. Would love to hear what you think.

My only fear is that the DJM 900 is industry standard. Every event I spin they have a 900 nexus. The biggest DJ's in the world use them plus they in quantize effects with CDJ 900 and 2000's. I've never seen a DB2 or DB4 out in the system. Wonder why... The big DJ's get a rider and they can request any mixer and they choose the Nexus. Something to think about.

prODucer
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah I don't know? Maybe going with the nexus is just more simple or easier? I think a lot of these big name djs might just change their minds if they truly gave Allen & Heath a try.

hoff
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I've never seen a DB2 or DB4 out in the system. Wonder why... The big DJ's get a rider and they can request any mixer and they choose the Nexus. Something to think about.

Not exactly...

1. A lot of artists use A&H mixers, especially in tech/techno/minimal ect. Also, the DB4 and especially DB2 are brand new, so you're more likely to see 92's because artists like what they are used to, unless they are paid to use new gear (see 2)

2. Pioneer sponsors events and pays DJ's large amounts of money to use and promote their products. Sure Avicii could use whatever he wanted, but then pioneer would stop sending cheques.

Go to a store, try out the mixers, buy what YOU think is better.

- hoff

DJ DU
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Not exactly...

1. A lot of artists use A&H mixers, especially in tech/techno/minimal ect. Also, the DB4 and especially DB2 are brand new, so you're more likely to see 92's because artists like what they are used to, unless they are paid to use new gear (see 2)

2. Pioneer sponsors events and pays DJ's large amounts of money to use and promote their products. Sure Avicii could use whatever he wanted, but then pioneer would stop sending cheques.

Go to a store, try out the mixers, buy what YOU think is better.

- hoff

Good point. I just opened for Steve Aoki and he used and swears by a 900. I also noticed he does product videos for Pionner.

DJ DU
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I just noticed there is no BPM or tempo tap on the DB2. Does anyone know if it has one? I hate auto beat detection plus I do a lot of effects out of time on trailing effects. If it doesn't have a manual Tap than I won't even take it out of the box when I get it tomorrow and I'll send it back. I don't like using encoder knobs to manually set something. I need a tempo tap.

hoff
05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I just noticed there is no BPM or tempo tap on the DB2. Does anyone know if it has one? I hate auto beat detection plus I do a lot of effects out of time on trailing effects. If it doesn't have a manual Tap than I won't even take it out of the box when I get it tomorrow and I'll send it back. I don't like using encoder knobs to manually set something. I need a tempo tap.

with a djm 900 you need tempo tap.. with a db2 you don't. it's never wrong. actually.

you can also focus the bpm to a range that you'll be playing within to make it more accurate.

DJ DU
05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=hoff;83177]with a djm 900 you need tempo tap.. with a db2 you don't. it's never wrong.ctually.

you can also focus the bpm to a range that you'll be playing within to make it more accurate

Sometimes I have to half and double effects. I need manual control. I also play Rock and Country sometimes where the BPMs are all over in a given song. Ill probally return it as soon as it comes in tomorrow. I guess the mixer was just designed for Edm music. Too Bad. Sticking with the 900 Nexus.

prODucer
05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Noooooooooooooo.....

Jk to each his own. I'm sure the 900 will rock also.

DJ DU
05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Noooooooooooooo.....

Jk to each his own. I'm sure the 900 will rock also.

haha....Well I just emailed Allen and Heath and they said there is a tap tempo. I can't seem to find it. Is there a transformerand robot kind of effect?

DJ DU
05-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I am bummed. Allen and Heath just got back to again. There is no way to customize BPMs. Only the DB4 can. I'm sad but that was the nail in the coffin for the DB2 for me.

DJ DU
05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Also dub step is a problem with the bpm detection.

DJ Nutty
05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey got a question for you db2 owners.
The 2 filter knobs underneath the fx sections, are they easy to get back to off position without over-shooting if you rotate them really fast ?

hoff
05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey got a question for you db2 owners.
The 2 filter knobs underneath the fx sections, are they easy to get back to off position without over-shooting if you rotate them really fast ?

yup, theres a small indent at the off position. also a nice bring LED that changes from red (on) to green (off) for visual feedback.

prODucer
05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I LOVE this mixer!!

Pirke
05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
How did the mixer work with Serato? Im a serato user and DB2 looks really cool

//P

simonk20
11-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I have djm 900 brilliant mixer, big improvement from the djm 800, but if could of afforded the extra £400 I would of got the allen & heath DB4

xs2man
12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Came across this thread a week or so ago when I was trying to decide what mixer to buy.

I was ALL set on the DJM 900 Nexus. Then went into a DJ shop for a play about on one, and they didn't have one set up. Instead they had the DB2. Had a wee demo of it, and it all looked great. So that changed my mind. Went home, did some research (ended up here), and then ordered a DB4. WAAAAYYYYYY more money than I had hoped to spend, but I LOVE this mixer. Especially love the EQ Filters. Haven't got used to the proper filters yet, but I'm sure that will come. But loving the on board sampler, and all the effects.

Very happy.

TheBurnedWaffle
08-14-2013, 10:10 PM

well, you can set effects too a millisecond value and not tempo sync, witch creates off beat delays and echos and other stuff :) (sorry about the spelling I'm french)

Adzm00
08-16-2013, 06:56 AM
All I'd point out is there is a lot of fanboyism creeping into this thread, please try stick to the facts as people read this thread to get an idea of the equipment they might buy.

Fact is, the DJM900, the DB2 or the DB4 are all amazing mixers, as of yet though I've only seen the DB4 in a booth once.

DJ Riddims
08-18-2013, 09:01 AM
I was in a similar situation and went for the DJM900. I found it faster for me to engage the effects and get the sound i wanted out of the mixer than the DB2. I will say DB2 effects sound bette. If you're any kind of scratch dj the DB2 is not for you, the DJM 900 isn't great either but you can at least do the basics with it. I went for the DJM because it felt more sturdy than the DB2, especially the faders. I probably would purchase a DN-x1700 over the DB2 (the DN-X1700 has great faders). This is coming from the perspective of a reggae/hip-hop dj who is pretty harsh on the mixer making very quick changes. For a house styled dj the though I would have considered DB2.

Nicadraus
08-18-2013, 12:15 PM
I was in a similar situation and went for the DJM900. I found it faster for me to engage the effects and get the sound i wanted out of the mixer than the DB2. I will say DB2 effects sound bette. If you're any kind of scratch dj the DB2 is not for you, the DJM 900 isn't great either but you can at least do the basics with it. I went for the DJM because it felt more sturdy than the DB2, especially the faders. I probably would purchase a DN-x1700 over the DB2 (the DN-X1700 has great faders). This is coming from the perspective of a reggae/hip-hop dj who is pretty harsh on the mixer making very quick changes. For a house styled dj the though I would have considered DB2.

Congrats man! :tup:

I would have also bought the DJM-900 if I was in your shoes. I'm not keen on A&H mixers. I even like Ecler a lot better than A&H mixers to be honest. I've played on several A&H mixers (xone 02, 464, 42, 62, 92 and the DB2) but I'm just not "at home" with them and never liked their feel. The DJM-900 is the top mixer for me at this moment. Also as you have mentioned, using the effects on the DJM-900 is such a breeze. :)