PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Chauvet Comet LED in the mail.

kipperj
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I love it for the price. Only $80. Works great, a little loud, however. Who wants lights without loud music though?

Noticed a small metal ring protruding from the back, jut like the one on my mushroom. I've always wondered what exactly these things were meant for. Is it there for hanging purposes? I use these to hang my lights:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/chauvet-ch03-standard-c-clamp/811251000000000

Anyways, I was just curious as to what their purpose is. My smaller lights, like my moonflowers don't have them. Thanks for reading!

Capt. Kirk
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Those "eye" hooks are for connecting your safety cables to which is something you should eventually get put on your lights if you plan to dj and do events with them. It is the one thing that will save you in a lawsuit if one of your lights fails or falls off your t bar or truss.

Synaxis
04-12-2012, 07:31 PM
It's for attaching safety cables, which you should be using by the way.

Smaller "lighter" lights should be fine if you just attach the safety to the bracket, but large lights have this dedicated ring (connected to the frame of the unit) in case the bracket fails as well.

Please Use safety cables, we just had an entire thread about this: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?5336-opinion-on-safety-cables

Capt. Kirk
04-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I should add the cables are really cheap at two fifty to three dollars for one cable so its not like your dolling out a lot of money.

kipperj
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow. I can't believe the idiocy of some people. What an ignorant ass... Anyways... Thanks for the info guys. I guess because I've never seen anyone around my area using them, I've never thought about it. I will be sure to pick some up. Luckily, I only have a few fixtures that are heavy enough to have those rings. Now how do I go about connecting them to a truss?

Capt. Kirk
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
cable loops through the ring and over the truss and simply reconnects. For the smaller lights the cable just loops through the yoke and the truss. All lights should have cables if they are over waist high as even a 2 pound light falling from 10 feet could hurt someone enough for them to sue you for all your worth.

kipperj
04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Thank you so much for the help!

Synaxis
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
cable loops through the ring and over the truss and simply reconnects. For the smaller lights the cable just loops through the yoke and the truss. All lights should have cables if they are over waist high as even a 2 pound light falling from 10 feet could hurt someone enough for them to sue you for all your worth.

That's not the way I learned it. Must of the eye-hook are two small to fit the end of the cable, and although it is possible, it's very difficult. That is how I used to do it at first.

See my picture above. The truss pipe would go in the circle. You place the cable over the truss, and loop it by placing the split ring into the other end, and then attach the split ring to the eye-hook of the fixture. Of course if you don't have an eye-hook, then your method over the bracket is the only other solution.

You might want to loop the cable over the truss a couple times to reduce the size.

Capt. Kirk
04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
There are different ways to properly do it. Ideally you want the safety cable to be taunt so the light has nowhere to really fall or swing to thus minimizing the amount of kinetic energy it gains and just how much damage it can cause.
I would think with your way of doing it a foot long cable could do the job fine.

Synaxis
04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
There are different ways to properly do it. Ideally you want the safety cable to be taunt so the light has nowhere to really fall or swing to thus minimizing the amount of kinetic energy it gains and just how much damage it can cause.
I would think with your way of doing it a foot long cable could do the job fine.

Right, I agree with you 100%. Whichever way you do it, make sure it's done properly, and that the light won't fall.