PDA

View Full Version : ...so let's talk monograms

rocket's ass
04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
What type of projectors do you use?
How much do you charge?
I'm learning but so far it seems like a lot/most DJ's use gobos that are either made out of metal or glass? Those are usually ordered through a company that does that I'm assuming?
What are the advantages/disadvantages to both?
I've also heard about people using projectors with sd card slots where they use images designed on photoshop?
I've seen some pictures and they look decent...

Are they considered tackier in certain situations?

What do you guys use?

Post some pics. Spill some info! :)

Nick_EventPro
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
What type of projectors do you use?
Personally, I use a Source Four 25-50 Zoom Ellipsoidal, A Chauvet Q-Spot 260LED, or a Platinum Spot 5R for gobo projection.

Alot of DJs also seem to like the Martin PR1 for gobo projections.

How much do you charge?
Totally depends on the gobo. Most steel gobo's I chagre 150 to make the template. Then whatever standard pricing for whatever fixture I use, and then part of total labor and transport fees go for the gobo. If its part of a package, most clients end up paying $300-$400 for a custom monogram. If they just want me to come out to do the monogram only, $500.

I'm learning but so far it seems like a lot/most DJ's use gobos that are either made out of metal or glass? Those are usually ordered through a company that does that I'm assuming?
Yes, and yes. I can get them made for you. Just shoot me an e-mail.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to both?
The simple answer is metal is simple and inexpensive. (Under $100) Glass offers more design options as well as the option of full color, but can be much more expensive. 99% of wedding monograms you see will be done with a metal gobo.

I've also heard about people using projectors with sd card slots where they use images designed on photoshop?Yes, you can use a projector, but you'll need a good one.

Are they considered tackier in certain situations?
I don't think they are tacky (unless the design sucks) though many clients want them on their dance floor and I always tell them that once dancing starts they will lose the monogram so I try and steer them to place it on the wall, but they look good in a number of scenarios.

rocket's ass
04-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like going the sd player/projector route seems much more advantageous. Why deal with having to get a gobo designed if you don't have to? But it seems like most dj's still do so what am I missing?

Djsmylez
04-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Gobo zoom LED 2.0. About $170. You can design Ur own logos and look just as good as the ones u send out for...

Unknown DJ
04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Here is a review i found of the Gobo Zoom
http://www.djzone.net/pg/reviews/DJ_Lighting_Reviews/chauvet-gobo-zoom-led-20-review.shtml

You could probable run it of a big UPS for a couple of hours too. Making it completely wireless.

DJStevieRay
04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
I was using an American DJ Vizi Spot LED moving Head, and in 3 weeks I will be switching over to using a Blizzard Torrent 90 Moving Head for my monogram projections. Video below, is all of ADJ ViziSpot LED being used for Monogram projection,,,,,

http://youtu.be/NISpUzS3DYA

rocket's ass
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Great Stevie. I guess I'm looking for options that are less than a thousand dollars but they looking very nice.

DJStevieRay
04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Well I am selling my Vizi Spot's for $500/ea. If you want one for monogram projection, as you can see they do a great job ;)