PDA

View Full Version : Does tag info show up on mp3 to wav converted files in CDJs?

Happy Trees
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
So I've been kind of caught up with organizing my collection. Not fun.

Note to self and others: catalog early and often.

Anywho, I am now in the process of burning CDs for the CDJ players that I bought (CDJ 400).

To restate the facts: I'm moving from previously being controller based over to learning on CDJs.

I've wanted to be well-rounded, and finally got a decent price on some CDJ players in good shape.

But I digress...

Before I begin burning massive amounts of CDs here, will the Pio 400s and other CDJs be able to read the track information from CDs converted from mp3 to wav and burned in Itunes?

I checked the box 'get CD text' or something like that when converting over from mp3 to wav file burning.

If this won't work, does anybody know how I might be able to easily find a way to tag wav files so they pick this info up (title, artist are all I really need, but the more the merrier)?

As usual, when burning a CD in Itunes and playing it with Windows Media player, it shows the dreaded 'track 01' unknown artist. Ugh.

If the CD medium is so ancient, how exactly do store bought CDs display this information in the xbox/wmp/etc?

Subprime
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
First off, why are you converting your mp3s to wavs? You gain nothing from this, quality wise, and lose a whole bunch of storage space due to the large file size of a wav file.

If you are burning an audio CD, from whatever format, there are no "tags" stored in the same way that tags are stored to an mp3. If you use the "include CD text" feature in itunes (or another program) this does include basic information about track title, artist, album etc, and should be viewable on your CDJs (or at least it is on the more upmarket ones).

Happy Trees
04-12-2012, 12:32 PM
First off, why are you converting your mp3s to wavs? You gain nothing from this, quality wise, and lose a whole bunch of storage space due to the large file size of a wav file.

If you are burning an audio CD, from whatever format, there are no "tags" stored in the same way that tags are stored to an mp3. If you use the "include CD text" feature in itunes (or another program) this does include basic information about track title, artist, album etc, and should be viewable on your CDJs (or at least it is on the more upmarket ones).

Why? Because I was under the impression that the Pioneer 400 models do not read mp3 tracks on CD; only via USB.

As long as I can see the artist and track name, that's all I need.

Era 7
04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
any model after the CDJ-800MK1 can read MP3 CDs as far as i am aware. that would span the 350, 400, 800MK2, 1000MK2 and MK3, 900 & 2000.

Interracial Tea
04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Also, it should be noted that .wav ID3 tags are much different than .mp3 ID3 tags. The ID3 tags are better for .mp3s.

Happy Trees
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Also, it should be noted that .wav ID3 tags are much different than .mp3 ID3 tags. The ID3 tags are better for .mp3s.

Agreed. Far more information in an mp3 tag that is of use.

It made sense not to use mp3s on CD burns as well, because I would be tempted to cram the CD full of tracks. I'm trying to keep my labeling scheme somewhat simple and easy to access out of the CD booklet.

If somebody is able to play out with a few CDs full of dozens upon dozens of mp3 tracks per CD and keep it in order, more power to them. I know my patterns well enough to know that this would not work for me.

Happy Trees
04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
any model after the CDJ-800MK1 can read MP3 CDs as far as i am aware. that would span the 350, 400, 800MK2, 1000MK2 and MK3, 900 & 2000.

Thanks, Era. That was very helpful.