PDA

View Full Version : First DJ set up

GhOSt
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi there guys/ladies

I'm planning to buy a set but confused between laptop DJ'ing or CDJs...

I have a CDJ set-up in mind:
- 2 x Numark NDX800
- Behringer DX626 DJ Mixer

Is that good enough for a beginner?? Costs around R10 000 (approx. $1250) from an online store

Any advice is welcome, thanks

Celestial
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
don't get a behringer mixer

GhOSt
04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
why not??? anything wrong behringer products??

Celestial
04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
behringer mixers are some of the worse in the industry, it's very rare that you'll come across a unit that actually WON'T break after several uses. You'll be wasting your money investing in their mixers.

DJNR
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Behringer is not known for quality products. The only Behringer mixer I can recommend is the DDM4000.

GhOSt
04-12-2012, 03:06 PM
And Numark mixers??? Someone just let me know abt the American Audio VERSADECK...

Anyone think its a good purchase as yout first set???

Its everything i want minus a cd slot

Celestial
04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
why you going to abt to get dj gear? :confused:

why not got ot GC instead?

and if you want a good beginners mixer then look into vestax, they got solid stuff

jmack953
04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Plus up on the Numarks. Also Vestax for start up setups are good. Try your best to stay away from Behringer though. As it was already stated, and I agreee, they are NOT known for quality products. Yes, they save people lots of money up front, but hey, you get what you pay for. They use cheaper components and it isn't so much quality of sound that's an issue, its the quality of build, and life expectancy... very short with Behringer.
Another good mixer is Denon (about half way in price from Numark and Pioneer), it's a 4 channel, not a 2, it is the DNX900.
For the complete all in ones, as for the Versadeck, it's an "alright" system. Some minor conflicts could arrise depending on which software you use if it's not Virtual DJ. I've heard of others using things like Mixvibes or Traktor with it, but for flawless integration on that unit, I've heard that VDJ is about the only one that's got it locked in to a T.
Also, the Numark Mixdeck Multiformat is decent for a starter. It's got CD integration, MP3, laptop, and plays well with a handful of softwares on the market. There are so many of these mixdecks running around, that about every software maker has support for it.

xyloft
04-12-2012, 07:22 PM
yup. i learned on a PMC-05 pro III . solid mixer. i bought a denon to start and it failed in 29 days so i upgraded to the vestax. i also had ordered a stanton mixer off ebay, but it was missing a power supply and i couldn't get a replacement. my first DJ equipment buying experiences were the SuX0Rs.

wasted a bit of money there when i should have just dropped the $400 on it.

GhOSt
04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
thanks for the input everyone

one thing about the Versadeck, has anyone played on one using USB sticks??

Hoping to play more without DJ software cause im use to Virtual DJ already

ampnation
04-13-2012, 01:24 AM
I don't know if it is the same in S. Africa, but here, for just a little more than what you listed, you can get a Denon DN-X120 mixer and a pair of DN-S1200 CDJ's. This combo is FAR superior for just over $100 more.

ampnation
04-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Okay, so I went digging some more and found a couple of retailers in S. Africa and for around $10k it doesn't appear a mixer and CDJ's is feasible if you want gear that will last... I trust you do.

Hence, if I were you and wasn't willing to spend around R20,000 I'd get a good solid controller which will require you to have a computer. Check the hardware requirements to make sure your computer is adequeate.

Of the controllers I see under R10,000 I like the following with links to product pages at Audio Supreme located in Johannesburg and Cape Town...

Pioneer DDJ-Ergo which runs R7,295 and comes with Virtual DJ LE
http://www.djequipmentsa.co.za/component/virtuemart/detail/32-dj-controllers/flypage/414-pioneer-ddj-ergo?sef=hcfp

Denon MC6000 which runs R7,995 and comes with Virtual DJ LE
http://www.djequipmentsa.co.za/component/virtuemart/detail/32-dj-controllers/flypage/191-denon-dn-mc6000?sef=hcfp

Native Instruments Kontrol S2 which runs R5,995 and comes with Traktor Pro 2 (full version, not an LE or lite)
http://www.djequipmentsa.co.za/component/virtuemart/detail/32-dj-controllers/flypage/423-native-instruments-kontrol-s2?sef=hcfp

I would get the S2 because it is the least expensive of the bunch and comes with full version Traktor Pro 2, but you might have different priorities.

For a little more,the next step up for both Pioneer and Native Instruments are the DDJ-S1, DDJ-T1 and Kontrol S4 which will all be a between R10,000 and $12,000.

Good Luck.