PDA

View Full Version : SRM450v2 Speakers - Worth buying

darkksyde
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I own a part of Audioline 15" speakers (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi-home-audio/pro-dj/audioline-alpa15a-15-2-way-active-pa-speakers/435822) and am finding that they're not powerful enough for my needs.

I am currently DJing parties with <100 people but the audiolines dont have sufficent low end.

Would the mackies have enough low end for parties <100 people.

Thanks

windspeed36
04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I own a part of Audioline 15" speakers (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi-home-audio/pro-dj/audioline-alpa15a-15-2-way-active-pa-speakers/435822) and am finding that they're not powerful enough for my needs.

I am currently DJing parties with <100 people but the audiolines dont have sufficent low end.

Would the mackies have enough low end for parties <100 people.

Thanks
The Audioline 15"s will produce more bass than the SRM450's because they are a 15" woofer vs a 12" woofer. The SRM450's state that they go down to 55Hz whereas the Audioline speakers state 45Hz however they do also state 20Hz: http://www.audiolinepro.com/ALPA15A.html However i believe that to be the amp range

You should look at getting yourself a subwoofer. I'm guessing you're in Australia so you're going to be looking around $1500+ for a decent powered subwoofer.Let us know your budget and we can try to help

darkksyde
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
It's not so much the budget, but its the physical size the speakers take up, I don't have much room to store these speakers so I'm looking for as much low end for as small as possible. Also, the Audioline's only have 200watts going to the 15" woofer as opposed to the Mackie's which have 300watts. The wattage on the Jb Hi-Fi website is actually the shared wattage between the two speakers.

KLH
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
You should look at getting yourself a subwoofer... Let us know your budget and we can try to help
+1. Getting a sub is the most cost effective route to go.

By removing the bass from your fronts, they'll be able to go significantly louder. In addition, the sub should produce much better bass than your tops. It's a win-win

-KLH

allenpa5
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
12" vs 15" isn't the only argument here.... I own a pair of 15" RCF art315a's and a pair of Mackie SRM450v2's and can tell you without doubt that the Mackie's produce FARRRRRRRR more bass than my RCF's ever will. The Mackie's are actually pretty good speakers to use if you're looking for a system of just two tops (no subwoofer). The only complaints I've heard about them are manufacturer issues. I've never had ANY issues with mine, but I guess other people have had failing electronics in them that needed to be replaced by Mackie (under warranty, of course). Take a listen to them at your nearest Guitar Center (if you have those there).

darkksyde
04-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I know a local music shop that stocks the Mackie's. I'm heading there this weekend to A/B them with the JBL PRX612M's. I will eventually add a sub. I know that you will get far better sound with having a sub but for the meantime, I'm just wondering how two Mackie's would perform by themselves.

andythemusician
04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
You need a sub.

The Mackies will perform better than your current speakers, but at the end of the day, you're trying to push a wide range of frequencies out of a single woofer. To get clarity in the mids, you aren't going to get massive lows. Only by adding a sub and relieving your tops of the low end duty will you get the response you need.

I recommend upgrading to something better than your current tops now (be it the Mackies or something similar like the PRX range) and then adding a sub later. OR add the sub now, and upgrade tops later. Probably the first if you are currently pushed for space.

Al Poulin
04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
12" vs 15" isn't the only argument here.... I own a pair of 15" RCF art315a's and a pair of Mackie SRM450v2's and can tell you without doubt that the Mackie's produce FARRRRRRRR more bass than my RCF's ever will. The Mackie's are actually pretty good speakers to use if you're looking for a system of just two tops (no subwoofer). The only complaints I've heard about them are manufacturer issues. I've never had ANY issues with mine, but I guess other people have had failing electronics in them that needed to be replaced by Mackie (under warranty, of course). Take a listen to them at your nearest Guitar Center (if you have those there).

The RCF Art 315As are a special exception - due to an inhernet design flaw. (too small of a cabinet for the 15" woofer to breathe properly). The 312A outperfroms it in the LF area, something rare in a same product line. The lows actually drop off quickly below 90hz in the 315A - why I always recommend the 312A as the better value. It is the same thing with the 322A vs 325A and 522A vs 525A - all of which use the EXACT same cabinet!

Al