PDA

View Full Version : Organizing thy music

cliverrr
04-12-2012, 06:48 AM
How are some of the ways you guys organize your music? genre needless to say. but sub genre? style? alphabetical order?

i do them according to dates of acquiring them. which isnt very effective sometimes. ideas?

mabalasik
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
i like to organize with bpm i hope it helps

dlove
04-13-2012, 01:40 AM
I tend to group labels and genre, and have lines & boxes of shelving with 7"s, 10"'s 12"s and albums. :)

Minksy
04-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Mine are grouped in folders according to label/catalogue number & release title/music files.

I edit the track comments with key, bpm, mood, and set placement id or combination of (peak, build, early set, opener, closer) as well as a general genre tag. Dates are not important to me when it comes to organization.

for example ...
Get Physical Music (GPM)/(GPM025) Booka Shade - Memento Album Remixes 2/(mp3,aiff,wav files)

I tend to buy by release, not just track. Keeps me connected to the vinyl world I come from.

moyo wilde
04-13-2012, 05:27 AM
organized by bpm and aphabetically.

mantis
04-13-2012, 10:57 AM
by bpm? If you play different genres i guess that would help, but within a genre (eg house) no need to organise by bpm. most house tracks are within the same range anyway and its easy to adjust the pitch to match the bpm

moyo wilde
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
i play different genres and i am trying to keep it under 1000 songs. but yeah there are areas with big clumps of songs 130, 128, 110, 108, 100, 95, 84. and 70ish

Interracial Tea
04-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Right now it's by genre, but I'm slowly adjusting my library to reflect moods and the atmosphere I'm trying to create. So peak, openers, in between, laid back, etc.

ampnation
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
As a mobile DJ - weddings primarily - I play a lot of different genres. I'm doing a re-organization right now and not taking gigs during the process. The key for me will be to find any song I want quickly. Physically, due to having different media as primary, backup, and 2nd level backups they will be in both audio(CDDA) and mp3 format. These will be on CD obviously for audio format, but those will be my last ditch backup; and for mp3 format on various media, primarily external hard drive(s) and USB thumb drive(s).

Each mp3 will contain information in the tagging showing the audio CD that contains the same song, usually the source, commerical audio CD, but more and more often, a burned audio CD from mp3's specifically for backup purposes to be used as a last resort.

It will also contain an index number that tells me where to find it regardless of which media it is on as an mp3. mp3 CD-ROMs' contents will mirror the file structure on other media, and other than the CD-ROMs all media will be large enough to contain the entire library.

At first I was going to organize them by the first letter of each song name, but I see now that I don't need to do that and it would just make adding new songs more difficult. Hence, I'll be creating the folders in no particular order other than the order added to the library. All organizing will be done with a database. I'm evaluating MediaMonkey right now to see if it is up to the task. I think it is. I'll want both a computer based database plus a catalog printed out using different sort criteria. The print catalog will be fairly large and only used if and when my laptop crashes.

Besides all this, I will have special playlists/crates with corresponding CD's, both mp3 and audio.

I'm finding out this is a huge project but I know I'll be better prepared to find exactly what I'm looking for even during crisis situations, quickly with this system.

I should add, when this project is done, I'll be considering adding digital DJ'ing to the mix but I'll still have all this as backup.