PDA

View Full Version : QSC KW153 Review

electricsmooth
04-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on my latest acquisitions. I was finally able to hook these up today and give them a whirl. Here is what I think.

First of all, I tested them in "flat mode" and also chose "external sub" on the switch. I haven't had a chance to try the other modes (deep, vocal boost).

There is a night and day sound difference between these and my previous Yorkville EF500Ps. I really had to EQ the yorkvilles to make them sound less harsh but even that wouldn't completely make them sound "hi-fi". With the 153s, I was able to play them at loud volumes, stand near them, and still be able to appreciate the sound. With the Yorks, I had to run for cover. One thing that was immediately apparent was the clarity and loudness of the vocals of all the tracks I was playing. I suppose this is due to me setting them to "external sub" resulting in more mid-range sound coming from the cabs. I actually used my driverack EQ to dampen the vocals a bit because in certain tracks, they seemed to be overly pronounced (or maybe it was just Niki Minaj). I paired these up with my LS800Ps and after some tinkering with volume on the subs, I was able to hit that sweet spot. I was a bit worried about this because the guy who bought my EF500Ps told me that my LS800Ps were a natural fit for the EF500Ps and that they wouldn't sound as good with other cabs. This was not the case.

Another vast improvement with these over the EF500Ps are the handles. This may sound petty but the handles on the EF500Ps cut into your fingers like a blade. The 153s are nice and round which makes for easy carrying and mounting on stands.

With the 153s, I am finally able to achieve that hi-fi, higher end home stereo sound I have always been looking for. They sound great loud. I was always putting off buying new speakers even though I knew I had to switch up the Yorkvilles. I was either too lazy or didn't want to spend the extra cash. I'm glad I finally made the change and I'm very happy with the 153s.

ampnation
04-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Those are pole mountable in theory, right? Are going to pole mount?

electricsmooth
04-12-2012, 02:29 AM
They are pole mountable and they actually aren't too bad to mount (granted you have 2 peeps). Haven't checked but they must be slightly lighter than my old yorkvilles.