PDA

View Full Version : Speaker setup

djjarge
02-23-2017, 08:15 AM
I have a mackie mixer profx 8 and 3 alto tx 15 powered speakers, what would be the best option for hooking all 3 speakers to the mixer. Powerbook g4 input source.

Thanks

light-o-matic
02-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Depends on what you want? If your system is stereo then you'll normally have one speaker connected to the left output, producing the left sound.. and one on the right output, producing the right sound. In this case, your third speaker.. where will it be? Do you want it producing the left channel signal, right, or both? Normally you don't have an odd number of speakers like that.. and how you set them up determines what signal goes to each.

If you want the third speaker to be producing the left or right signal, just chain it from the XLR output of one of the other two speakers. But let's say you want the third speaker to produce BOTH left and right together.. (mono), then you need another output from the mixer. In which case, for that mixer the only option is to use the AUX output and bring up the aux send on all channels you are using.

EDIT

Err.. scratch that. The AUX send on that model mixer is also the monitor send.. it's pre-fader.. meaning, when you bring the channel slider down, it does not bring the aux output for that channel down. Probably not what you want. So unfortunately, for a mono output that responds to channel faders you'd need to use the FX SEND output, which means you'll be unable to use the onboard fx unit. It is just a very small mixer that is not really designed for this kind of thing.

But ya know, if you are just using the third speaker as a monitor for yourself or some other non-critical thing.. trying to put a little sound into another room.. then just pick a channel and yea if you play the beatles it's going to get a bit weird :)

djjarge
02-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Depends on what you want? If your system is stereo then you'll normally have one speaker connected to the left output, producing the left sound.. and one on the right output, producing the right sound. In this case, your third speaker.. where will it be? Do you want it producing the left channel signal, right, or both? Normally you don't have an odd number of speakers like that.. and how you set them up determines what signal goes to each.

If you want the third speaker to be producing the left or right signal, just chain it from the XLR output of one of the other two speakers. But let's say you want the third speaker to produce BOTH left and right together.. (mono), then you need another output from the mixer. In which case, for that mixer the only option is to use the AUX output and bring up the aux send on all channels you are using.

EDIT

"Err.. scratch that. The AUX send on that model mixer is also the monitor send.. it's pre-fader.. meaning, when you bring the channel slider down, it does not bring the aux output for that channel down. Probably not what you want. So unfortunately, for a mono output that responds to channel faders you'd need to use the FX SEND output, which means you'll be unable to use the onboard fx unit. It is just a very small mixer that is not really designed for this kind of thing."

But ya know, if you are just using the third speaker as a monitor for yourself or some other non-critical thing.. trying to put a little sound into another room.. then just pick a channel and yea if you play the beatles it's going to get a bit weird :)

I am hoping to get l and r through the 3rd speaker. I am attaching a pic of my 1/4 to XLR adapter, will this work for the fx send? I don't need to use the effects for this setup, so is it just a matter of muting the effects for this setup to work?

Thanks

light-o-matic
02-23-2017, 12:56 PM
The funny thing is that I have this exact mixer.. I found it being thrown out in my apartment building a few days ago.. it is a bit bashed up but with some replaced knobs and a little repair it will be a useful extra mixer for me :) But I haven't really used it yet.. I just saw it sitting waiting to be taken out and snagged it.

Anyway yea that is the right cable, and according to the Mackie manual, the FX signal goes to the FX SEND jack as well as the internal fx unit. So you would just want to leave the two knobs "FX MASTER" and "FX TO MON" turned all the way down so that even though you are sending signal into the fx unit, you get nothing out of the fx into your main mix. But the FX SEND jack will get the signal prior to any fx.

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/ProFX8v2_12v2_16v2_22v2_30v2_OM.pdf

djjarge
02-23-2017, 01:22 PM
The funny thing is that I have this exact mixer.. I found it being thrown out in my apartment building a few days ago.. it is a bit bashed up but with some replaced knobs and a little repair it will be a useful extra mixer for me :) But I haven't really used it yet.. I just saw it sitting waiting to be taken out and snagged it.

Anyway yea that is the right cable, and according to the Mackie manual, the FX signal goes to the FX SEND jack as well as the internal fx unit. So you would just want to leave the two knobs "FX MASTER" and "FX TO MON" turned all the way down so that even though you are sending signal into the fx unit, you get nothing out of the fx into your main mix. But the FX SEND jack will get the signal prior to any fx.

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/ProFX8v2_12v2_16v2_22v2_30v2_OM.pdf

Thank You very much