PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT use Webs.com for your hosting

Sween
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Site is a ripoff. I need to get off of there.

I can elaborate later... but STAY AWAY!

DJRoladecks
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up and hope everything works out well for ya. Never heard or used them before :/

DJ Scotch
04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
thanks brodha.

Synaxis
04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Site is a ripoff. I need to get off of there.

I can elaborate later... but STAY AWAY!

Agree, use a PROFESSIONAL webhost. Webs.com used to be Freewebs.com. They weren't too bad back then if you needed a quick free website, but then they just rolled downhill very quickly.

Don't Use GoDaddy Either!

knuhkles
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Agreed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sween
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Agree, use a PROFESSIONAL webhost. Webs.com used to be Freewebs.com. They weren't too bad back then if you needed a quick free website, but then they just rolled downhill very quickly.

And that's how I got involved with them... Started a free website years ago. As I got more professional, instead of MOVING my site (hindsight), I upgraded to their premium services.

They are "professional"... meaning they will host your site just like any other one out there.

It was great for someone like me who did not want to pay someone for coding (or learn it myself)... Their templates are not bad, and can work just like Wordpress sites.

However...
--They hold your coding hostage. You use their Site Builder or you use CSS... and once you go CSS, you can't go back.
--They prohibit 301 redirect.
--Their Site Builder is buggy at best. Crashes unless I use FireFox. Media uploads often fail...
--They charge an arm and a leg.

They upsold me again (this morning) on an upgrade... offering me an email (which I didn't have before, and the main reason I took the upgrade), another free domain name, and offering $100 of ad credit on Facebook and Google, as well as some additional storage space and more contact forms per month (previously was limited to 25). I thought hey... $130 for a domain name, 5 email addresses, and $100 ad credit was not a bad deal... (Only $30, since I can use the ad credits!)

They failed to tell me that the ad credits are only for NEW Facebook and Google accounts... and I could not use them because I already have ad accounts with Facebook and Google. I was pissed.

My workaround was that I had to setup new accounts with a separate email... which I did. Facebook accepted my credit. Google still tells me the promo code is expired.

Their customer service sucks too... They basically said "oh well, I'm sorry... and we'can't refund you because you already took your domain name".

I will be moving on from them when my 5 year subscription runs out... (because they can't refund that either)... 2 years to go.

Shay.ca
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
That sucks

groovydjs
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I have a few sites with them, never a single problem. I pay a whopping $40.00 per year TOTAL. They were simply purchased by Vista Prints recently. Same place that I get my business cards and rubber stamps from. So...just another side of the coin to offer from my end.

Sween
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey Groovy welcome back.

If you don't have to deal with them a lot, then they are not that bad... but they really nickel and dime you for the "premium" stuff.

groovydjs
04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Howdy my friend, just checking in. Yeah, I never have to deal with them at all. My DJ site remains virtually unchanged and I honestly can't remember the last time I've checked in on it. My Music Lessons site is constantly updated, almost daily and I generate a deep 6 figures per year through it and still no problems with it. No problems with the tons of media that I upload to it and where hundreds of thousands of people purchase from it. I have no idea at all about the premium stuff at all though. So, I don't have no idea what the staff or any of their packages are like.

Synaxis
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
However...
--They hold your coding hostage. You use their Site Builder or you use CSS... and once you go CSS, you can't go back.
--They prohibit 301 redirect.
--Their Site Builder is buggy at best. Crashes unless I use FireFox. Media uploads often fail...
--They charge an arm and a leg.

That is exactly why I don't consider them professional.

Their "enhanced" package is a joke. I get all those features (except the ad credits), plus more, for 1/3 of what they charge.

I'm sorry your stuck with them for another two years :cry: