PDA

View Full Version : Are vinyl DJ's restricted to a more limited playlist?

NarcoticBuzz
04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Most of my questions are in regards to EDM genres.

I'm curious about how vinyl DJing actually works. Do these DJ's at clubs have to change the record for every song they play? are they limited to the vinyls that they bring? If they supplement with digital files how do they go about mixing the digital tracks?

KLH
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome to DJF!

Look up Digital Vinyl Emulation or DVS before proceeding...

-KLH

Subprime
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Not sure if troll?

Yes you have to change the record for every song you play, unless you want to play songs off the same disc (most 12" singles have one song each side, some records might have 3,4,5,6 songs on one record though, of course you would have to drop the needle on a different track)

Yes you are limited to the records you bring, in exactly the same way as someone digital or on CDs is limited to the music they bring. Obviously I can't bring 10,000 records with me. If I'm playing for an hour I'll usually bring around 60 records, of which I'll play around 20. This is part of the fun.

If I am supplementing my collection with digital files (usually CDs for me), I mix them in by popping my CD in the CDJ, and the proceeding as normal. The joy of being able to DJ on vinyl is that you can walk up to almost any piece of kit and be mixing within seconds (apart from cheapo controllers, I really struggle on those things because the jog wheels are so awful).

NarcoticBuzz
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
No troll. Just your typical, friendly, neighborhood noob.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if something like DVE/DVS existed but I wasn't sure how it might work. I understand it better now.

@Subprime, so does that mean that you bring 2 turntables as well as 2 CDJs?

Sigma
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
You're more likely to have to take turntables with you nowadays if you spin vinyl, but the beauty of vinyl (when it was the medium for all DJs) was that the gear was standard. If you DJed, you used vinyl, so clubs had a pair of 1200s installed and if they weren't 1200s, it wasn't like you had to go off and read a manual to see how they worked. These days there is no standard DJ equipment, so it's quite normal for someone to take virtually their whole set up with them.