PDA

View Full Version : Where to get music?

adamt4507
01-02-2017, 04:04 AM
Hi.

Bit of a Billy basics question but where do guys get music from?

I'm returning to this after a long spell away. When I did it last it was vinyl and I did the weekly trip to one of three record shops close to me to thumb through the most recent delivery hoping for a good find.

I'm returning via CDJ set up as I'm a bit of a computer mong and I have my own reservations about DDJ software which I can already see is a hot topic around here.

I can download songs and burn them but I don't want to be "that" guy just downloading anything. Seeing as record shops are a dying enterprise where does everyone go to get new releases?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pete
01-02-2017, 04:20 AM
First up i have to be very clear that there has to be no mention of any sort of piracy on this forum.
There are plenty of other places on the internet that cater for this type of thing, but this forum is a privately owned space of the internet. The guys that own it are normal folk with lives, jobs and families - they do not want a visit from the piracy police because of users, on the forum they own, up to naughty stuff.

With that out the way the methods of buying music have changed a lot since the good old days of vinyl. There is nothing like the experience of a record shop, and while we can all mourn it's passing, living in the future is more convenient.

There are plenty of sites available for downloading music of all styles - here is a list:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?35-Online-record-shops-Digital-amp-Vinyl-Master-list

Try them out and find one that caters for your music taste.

There are blogs and review sites and even youtube for previewing tracks. The days of buying a random record for an expensive price and later finding out it is rubbish are thankfully in the past.

However, this leads us to the problems many DJs have these days. There is too much access to music. It is possible just to buy the "good/catchy" track off a 12" and forget about the other version which in the past you had to work into a set. The overwhelming amount of music out there means a long time has to be spent curating a collection and taking the time to learn the tracks. In fact it takes more time than in the past - where it just involved digging into a record crate to see the cover of a well-known track. Also with the availability of tracks to all the DJs everywhere there is less chance to find hidden gems and work them hard. Any DJ of any experience or any age can check playlists and download the tracks they want, seemingly having the style of the finest tastemaker without putting the effort or research in. Digging has almost been killed off. More's the shame.

adamt4507
01-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Cheers mate. I'm hoping my return to DJ'ing won't be bitter-sweet

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

JackStalk
01-02-2017, 02:42 PM
I use Promo Only for new hits, it costs $12 a month and you get access to digital downloads of current pop/top40 music. I use iTunes for anything older than like 2010.

Dix
01-02-2017, 03:12 PM
I use Promo Only for new stuff & Amazon for older stuff.

mitchiemasha
01-02-2017, 08:04 PM
CD's are cheap ebay right now. Buy the single. You can bulk buy CD single collections that result in a cheaper price for each than an MP3 from itunes, Amazon, Beatport etc!

Buy a bulk pick out the CD's you don't have and want, resell the bulk.

Unknown DJ
01-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Join a digital record pool.

djshire
01-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Back when I used CDJs, I would just buy MP3s and then burn them to CD

prof_fate
01-03-2017, 05:59 PM
I bought out a retiring DJ and ripped those CDs. Ripped mine too (mostly classic rock..not a lot of value in that).
I roamed stores looking for various things - best of, collections, hits, complialtion, "now this is what I call...." CDs.

and then itunes for a lot of stuff.

I tried some pools, but they have mostly new stuff - which you may need but if you need all the hip hop hits of the 90s, R&B hits of the 60s, etc - you won't find them there.

Be aware that spotify and apple music and the like are not legal for what we do.

WestonParish
01-04-2017, 09:36 AM
I tend to stick to Beatport and Traxsource. Each site has the ability to follow artists and labels, so as you dig for music, add/follow the artists and labels you like. Then eventually when you log in you will have a laundry list of stuff catered specifically to your tastes. Happy digging!

KLH
01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
I use Promo Only and Ultimix. Love those two.

The best value is a music pool though... hands down!

Hygro
01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Did Promo Only get good (good again?)? Not so popular five years ago.

RenDnB
01-07-2017, 12:03 AM
I stick to Junodownload.com and Beatport mostly. Sometimes I'll go to trackitdown as well as they tag sub-genre's which is nice. All 3 of these for EDM.

dlove
01-07-2017, 03:13 AM
also https://bandcamp.com/ for music direct from the artists

ZSquared
01-13-2017, 04:32 PM
My music mostly comes from online downloads and iTunes, but I know of friends who download music from pleer.net or soundcloud/beatport. Sound Quality is my #1 consideration when downloading a track. I never like to drop below 320kbps.