PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a MIDI keyboard. Need some help!

TBA
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I was wondering, how important is the MIDI keyboard?
Like what would be the benefits of investing in something like the Novation SL MK ll vs buying something cheaper like the M-Audio KeyRig?

I am asking this because my friend has an SLK-MK ll and when I go over to his house, I hardly use all the buttons and knobs and pads on the keyboard.
This maybe because I am super new to production but I feel like it is a bit over kill....

Basically, I want to buy a MIDI keyboard and want to know what are the pros and cons of the expensive models vs cheaper models and is the price really worth it?

What models do you recommend that are good for beginners/won't out grow me?

Thanks for the feedback/advice

login
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Depends, if you really like programing synths and manipulating fx more knobs/sliders come usefull, it also depends how much do you like to use your mouse.

Above all the keyboard is most usefull for trying patches, playing chords and developing some musical ideas.

There are several options for you out there, but i think if investing in something as expensive as a novation sl mk2 i would better get a hardware synth second hand like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVATION-UltraNova-Synthesizer-Synth-Keyboard-Vocoder-in-BOX-/230773119212?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item35bb2658ec#ht_4634wt_1396 which also can be used as a soundcard if you dont have one.

But you could get a very cheap one like Akai Mini and see if you like using pads/knobs and save for a bigger one later.

jmack953
04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Depends, if you really like programing synths and manipulating fx more knobs/sliders come usefull, it also depends how much do you like to use your mouse.

Above all the keyboard is most usefull for trying patches, playing chords and developing some musical ideas.

That's exactly right. In my experience with using any of them, it's all going to boil down to what functions you plan on mapping out to it, what software etc you plan on controlling, for the most part its personal preference with a midi keyboard. Another thing to consider and to check around on before making a purchase, is COMPATIBILTIY. Some don't play well with some DAW's. One particular one that is good for playing well with most DAWs is the Novation Impulse (not the MKII version) just the straight up Navation Impulse 61 key. The automap function on it is next to unbeatable, and plays good with many softwares and plug in suites on the market today. I know it might sound redundant, but the biggest difference between any of them is going to layout, onboard LCD screen maybe, backlighting on the keys... personal pref stuff. Happy mixing and producing!

Celestial
04-11-2012, 03:39 PM

this, everything else comes down to mouse work if you want precision, and in this field - that's what it comes down to for many of us - precision.

Wakka
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
For beginners? Hmm might i recommend the Akai MPK Line? Depends on how big of a keyboard you want. Novation also has some good ones. Your best option really is to go check them out at a store and see what you really like. As there are a lot of factors such as weighted vs semi weighted keys... pads... knobs... ect ect.

A keyboard is definitely not needed for a beginner. Its nice if you want to jam out and brainstorm ideas though.

mostapha
04-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Its nice if you want to jam out and brainstorm ideas though.

If you play piano.

I've had one basically since I started even pretending to dabble in production, and I've used it maybe 5 hours total…since like 2006. I'd sell it except that it's cheap, kinda broken (one of the Eb keys doesn't work at all), and technically belongs to a friend who used it even less than I ever have.

On the other hand, I feel like a good control surface would make my life a lot easier, and I'm looking into trying a Novation Remote Zero SL mk2.

So, @OP…if you play piano/keyboard…yes…it's indispensable. It's the fastest, easiest way to play anything you'll hear in dance music besides drums…which often come out of step sequencers anyway. If you don't play piano/keys……it's probably useless unless you want to learn.

TBA
04-12-2012, 02:08 AM
thanks for all the feed back! got a better idea of what im going to save my money for

Celestial
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
If you play piano.

yes and no, it helps to know chord progression and all the good stuff however he might get lucky just pressing random chords on a keyboard or radom notes looking for a mellody. But I'm with you on this, I've also used mine a lot less then I actually though I would.

mostapha
04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't think they're worth the money if you're looking to just get lucky banging on it randomly.

Celestial
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't think they're worth the money if you're looking to just get lucky banging on it randomly.

nothing is bro, most of us just wasted a wad of money on this hobby anyways, signed or not, money or not, still a waste, we need to realize that at the end of the day we're doing this 'cause creating music makes us happy, so if he thinks banging on a midi will make him happy then I say who are we to stop him, he'll eventually come to the same crossroads that we all came to, all this shit gets old after a while, I wish I had his passion for this thing still like he does :lol:

but I know what it feels like, OP - get a midi if you think it's gonna make you happy, it helps a bit with creativity, assigning knobs and playing melodies based on the synth patches you just created helps a bit, and it's fun, more fun than clicking a mouse for hours on end. Go for it man.

Mystic
04-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Key bed quality is important to me. That's why I use a Yamaha KX8 as my piano and why I use brands like Novation. M-Audio gear feels so cheap to me

Celestial
04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
I use my piano for my piano :lol:

nothing better than 88 keys to let your imagination flow, then take that and replicate it within a daw, then the usual tweak and so forth, but if I really want to make some melodies then that's what I use. Btw it's not a real piano, it's an electronic piano with weighted keys

here's a pic

http://i43.tinypic.com/1074zn5.jpg