PDA

View Full Version : Last year Green Velvet, this year Moby?

Rek_Aviles
12-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Seems like a legend gets picked every yr to collab with some of the hottest producers out to release an album, at least in the Techno scene. I remember thinking the same about Green Velvet last yr and now Moby has a few out this yr, on different labels, with different producers.

Coincidence, or is this so they can headline festivals?

I just searched Fatboy Slim cause I remember he headlined Ultra 2 or 3 yrs ago. He has a bunch of releases in 2014 along with a greatest hits album released that summer.

https://www.beatport.com/release/the-greatest-hits-why-try-harder/332661

inthered
12-16-2016, 04:17 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with association. It's high status to associate with an icon. I also think this has a lot to do with the present resurgence in popularity of house and techno. A lot of the old artists are getting calls from the newer labels and promoters. Again, this has a lot to do with name recognition and association. Have you seen Curtis Jones' (Green Velvet) discography? He's been producing and DJing since 1989. He has several hits under his belt. Several of them recognizable to this day, even by people who don't pay that close attention to house/techno happenings. DJs still play "Percolator" and "Brighter Days" in Chicago, iconic songs.

You know, a lot of the 20 something hipsters these days aren't doing anything interesting. I've heard some striking house (all the stuff on Kolour LTD), techno (DeepChord and all of it's offshoots), and electro (Frustrated Funk) in the past couple of years. But the vast majority of style has already been done, same thing different day.

Puregroove
12-16-2016, 04:43 PM
You know, a lot of the 20 something hipsters these days aren't doing anything interesting. I've heard some striking house (all the stuff on Kolour LTD), techno (DeepChord and all of it's offshoots), and electro (Frustrated Funk) in the past couple of years. But the vast majority of style has already been done, same thing different day.

That's why they hide behind the "mastering" shield. Tune may be boring but at least it's "mastered". Usually meaning to the point where it's been squeezed the fuck out of so much, it's fatiguing to listen to. But sounds good on low volumes on the iphone.

Rek_Aviles
12-16-2016, 08:14 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with association. It's high status to associate with an icon. I also think this has a lot to do with the present resurgence in popularity of house and techno. A lot of the old artists are getting calls from the newer labels and promoters. Again, this has a lot to do with name recognition and association. Have you seen Curtis Jones' (Green Velvet) discography? He's been producing and DJing since 1989. He has several hits under his belt. Several of them recognizable to this day, even by people who don't pay that close attention to house/techno happenings. DJs still play "Percolator" and "Brighter Days" in Chicago, iconic songs.

I called them legends for a reason. I probably played Flash about 100 times back in the day.

I highly doubt they have labels calling them constantly to produce tracks for them. They may be still producing but they are not popular with the newer generation, yet all their classic tracks are constantly remixed and mashup by all the current big names. To me this looks more strategic and they are getting pushed to the top of the top 10 lists because of the collaborations.

Going back to my Fatboy Slim example, Ultra did not need him to headline the main stage that yr. They will pull in the crowd regardless and the big release he had was a collab with W&, Eparrei. W&W was on fire that yr. Another bigroom track he release around the same time, EAT SLEEP RAVE REPEAT. Neither of those 2 tracks are his style so thats definitely to put his name on the charts and get him on the main stages throughout the year.

Green Velvet was the same. He might still make tracks on his own but there was a big push last yr and I can only guess that it was to put him on the charts. His also did a bunch of festivals that yr.

Let me just say, i'm not complaining. I love the fact that the new gen is being introduced to the original gods who made some amazing tracks that still get played til this day. This is just a trend that i'm just now noticing. Not sure if this is on purpose but I hope it doesn't end.

SlayForMoney
12-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Let me just say, i'm not complaining. I love the fact that the new gen is being introduced to the original gods how made some amazing tracks that still get played til this day. This is just a trend that i'm just now noticing. Not sure if this is on purpose but I hope it doesn't end.

Agree. A good part of the new generation will dig deeper into their discography and discover their old gems.

Puregroove
12-17-2016, 02:02 PM
I probably played Flash about 100 times back in the day.

For real - and to me it still sounds fresher today than most modern tracks. Gimme flash any day of the week. And who gives a fuck about the "mastering" or whether the kick drum frequencies clash with the bass line (they probably don't but you know what I'm saying).

There's a different attitude behind this old stuff.

Gene Farris used to produce loads of good stuff back in the day, as well.

Rek_Aviles
12-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Gene Farris used to produce loads of good stuff back in the day, as well.

Summer affair :love:

Hygro
12-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Last year?

He hasn't stopped! We r in control!