PDA

View Full Version : Excuse the noob question but...

Djsmylez
04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Is it true that you should ONLY power link similar lights (all the same lights)?

I heard somewhere that power linking differing lights could seriously compromise the life span of a fixture...

Thanks!

Synaxis
04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I've done it without any problems, and I actually asked a Chauvet tech about this one.

He said to use common sense. Don't power link 20 different fixtures together. Take into account the power draw of different fixtures along the chain. Is a fixture has moving parts, such as motors, it obviously going to use more power then a simple LED par can. If you have a par can that can power link 30 unites max, well a effect light with a motor could essentially draw the same power at 5 of the pars, if not more. He also said you shouldn't do this with non-led fixtures, as halogens take up more more electricity.

Bottom line, you can do it without any issue, as long as you use common sense and don't go crazy. I wouldn't power link more then 5 different units together.

You are correct however, that if a unit does not revive enough electricity, it will damage the fixture. Check your manuals, and see how much power they draw, ect. The manuals usually tell you how many units you can link together without problems, before there is a lose of electrical current. So if two different products can link 30 units together, logically, they must use the same amount of power.

But I'm no expert on this. I'm only telling you what I've been told and using reason. Perhaps some else can share their knowledge.

sse
04-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Not an expert either....But a rule of thumb night be......
Fixture A can have 5 units powered linked
Fixture B can have 20 units powered linked
Fixture C can have 10 units powered linked

So only power link max of 5 fixtures together being that Fixture A only can have 5 units linked.