PDA

View Full Version : FBT Promaxx 14A vs. EV ZXA5 & QSC KW152

ampnation
04-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi all,

I wander around the internets looking for as much information as I can. I actually remember about 1% so it takes a while. LOL Anyway, in my travels I found someone comparing the EV ZXA5 to an FBT Promaxx14A. I had heard the name FBT before and knew it had some fans, but hadn't really looked closely. I still haven't heard them, but wanted to relate what I've learned.

First off, I'm told the 14A compares very favorably to the EV ZXA5 for max SPL but sounds better doing it and costs considerably less. Since it's priced closer to the QSC KW152 around $1100 than the K12, it's worth adding that speaker to this comparison. On paper they're all close enough to say they're equal for max SPL.

14A 135db
KW152 133.5db
ZXA5 133db

The ZXA5 is priced at about $1500 minimum with a MAP of $1699, considerably higher than the EV and FBT at around $1100.

Extrapolating from everything I've read -- both user comments and specs -- I would say the sound quality is closer to the KW152 which is known to be pretty sweet with the max SPL the ZXA5 is known for so it's like getting the best of each for the price of the lower priced model of the two.

Bass extension is quite good with the published specs showing it going down to 45Hz vs. 50Hz for the EV and 44Hz for the QSC. I found an FR graph for the KW152 (http://forum.qscaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3548) (on their forum along with other K and KW models), and comparing the graphs, it seems the usable low frequencies are...
14A 60Hz
KW152 50Hz
ZXA5 65Hz
Mind you, if the FBT is louder overall than the KW and it seems to be, then you could in theory, bring the KW up to it's max usable SPL level, bring the FBT up to the same level, and then instead of continuing to make it louder overall, simply start moving the low cut filter further down and I'm not sure if you would start running out of gas before or after you got 10Hz lower so I'll say they're probably fairly evenly matched.

The FBT shines regarding weight too -- a LOT!
14A 36.4 lbs
KW152 62 lbs
ZXA5 50.5 lbs
That means the 14A weighs in closer to the K10 than the K12 (32lbs and 41lbs respectively) let alone the KW152 and is almost half the weight of the ZXA5. And if you wanted to compare the Promaxx10A to the K10, it weighs in under 25 lbs. so 7 lbs (22%) lighter than the K10.

At any rate, if you can afford $1100 per cabinet and want a good all purpose cab that can cover a larger crowd than say the K12 or ART312A, this might be an alternative to the EV or KW152.

disbjohn
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I wish the FBT cabs looked better. :squint:

ampnation
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
true dat!!

Al Poulin
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I would choose FBT as they are known for superior sound quality, ultra high output and outstanding low frequency response. Like RCF (another Italian company), the design is either love it or hate it - but the performance is there.

The QSC would probably be my second choice, but I would prefer the lighter KW122.

The ZX5A are good as well, but I have read that they get harsh and somewhat painful at higher levels. They also don't have a limit light for some reason.

Al

ampnation
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Apparently RCF is learning...the new D Line has full grilles. Of course this may also have to do with the D Line being more expensive (guessing - haven't seen prices yet) and the ART 3 series being incredible bargains, hence minimal grilles, etc. to cut costs where possible while maintaining a quality speaker.

GaFFLe
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
The ZX5A are good as well, but I have read that they get harsh and somewhat painful at higher levels. They also don't have a limit light for some reason.

Al
Yes, they can get harsh at their loudest levels BUT when you consider they go soooo much louder than the other models, you would wonder why you'd need your loudness levels that high anyway. Basically, I would guess they'd sound just as good as the FBT ProMaxx14a's at the ProMaxx's loudest non-clipping levels. At the level where the FBT's are in the red, the EV's still would have headroom and keep getting louder; albeit harsher w/o proper equalization.

14A 135db
KW152 133.5db
ZXA5 133db
Those numbers mean a hill of beans... check this review of 2 of your mentioned models (especially page 18). They state the EV leave the others in the dust as far as output so that somewhat negates those published max SPL specs. http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test They also rate the 8 speakers in the order from worst to first and the EV ZXa5 was the last mentioned and therefore first overall (w/o regard to price).

These FBT models have very attractive quality, very attractive pricing, very attractive sound, very attractive weight and butt-ugly looks.

Al Poulin
04-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing that! :) Happy to see the FBT, RCF and EV cabs make the top3 (with the DB - an RCF sister company) not far behind. So basically, for sound quality and output for the money - the FBT is the top choice, while for maximum output / longer throw the EV wins (although at a higher price than the other cabs in the showdown). The RCF ends up being a top choice as well with no faults really, except being a little too costly.

Al

ampnation
04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Now the other consideration I would have on the RCF/FBT/EV question here is this... I've heard the 722A isn't very good unless you're using it for larger scale stuff, that at lower volumes there develops a mismatch between the mid and high sections (at least as I remember it) so does the 725A suffer similarly? The others in this roundup?

Al Poulin
04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Now the other consideration I would have on the RCF/FBT/EV question here is this... I've heard the 722A isn't very good unless you're using it for larger scale stuff, that at lower volumes there develops a mismatch between the mid and high sections (at least as I remember it) so does the 725A suffer similarly? The others in this roundup?

Here is an interesting review :

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/apr09/articles/rcfart.htm

Al

jedisinclair13
04-13-2014, 06:58 AM
I know this is an older thread. I just wanted to add something for anyone who is googling "Promaxx 14a" ... I just bought a pair and these speakers are PHENOMENAL! The bass response for a top is incredible. They get REAL loud and sound REAL clean. I know some people think they are ugly. They look better "in person" but I actually like the look. I replaced 2 qsc k12's and a ksub with these Promaxx's and they sound much better. I won't even need a sub for small parties. These handle the low end nicely!

spycase
04-17-2014, 04:34 AM
FBT are the truth. Plus lighter