PDA

View Full Version : Music Request is it ok

pumpitdj
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
A Bride has requested me play a song for when she walks down the isle . This song she has requested is not a licence song , it s a personalized song , The Website where you can get this wants me to pay $4.00 for the song . Question is it ok for me to buy this and play it , or do I tell the Bride she needs to buy this song I cannot since it is not licenced . Here is the link to the Website http://www.weddingmusiccentral.com/wedding-ceremony-music/bride-s-entrance

blancnoir
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
you HAVE to buy it. its a request from a paying client and you shouldnt be passing the buck to her. I understand your licensing concerns but i really doubt the RIAA is going to come after you for playing such a song. Professionalism starts with client care, attention to detail and learning that sometimes you have to eat the costs of doing business such as paying for music. Good luck!

pumpitdj
04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Thank you for your response I just was not sure , if legally that It was ok to purchase and play a non licence song . I dis not want to do anything that would jeopardize my business

blancnoir
04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
people that rip youtube tracks and play them live should be the ones arrested.. lol

youll be fine you're paying for the track via legitimate website youll be fine and your bride will be ecstatic

Ntertainment
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I hate how some websites try to rank high for certain web searches and then only sell one thing. Like a mother son song. The website sells one song a costume song and when brides/ grooms search for it this website pops up they end up liking the song. All ok so far except the song costs $10! Wtf. Like the song a song for my son on his wedding day.

Dave Daschofsky
04-10-2012, 12:01 AM
$4 is a small price for making the bride happy. I always assume I'm going to have to buy some new music for most gigs.

DjDisArm
04-10-2012, 12:08 AM
^ +1 with ya

RodneyL
04-10-2012, 07:08 AM
A Bride has requested me play a song for when she walks down the isle . This song she has requested is not a licence song , it s a personalized song , The Website where you can get this wants me to pay $4.00 for the song . Question is it ok for me to buy this and play it , or do I tell the Bride she needs to buy this song I cannot since it is not licenced . Here is the link to the Website http://www.weddingmusiccentral.com/wedding-ceremony-music/bride-s-entrance

I think the only thing not mentioned yet is that you live in Canada. Thus, your music laws are different than everyone else who has posted here in the States. Don't accept our legal advance on playing non-licensed music in your country. I believe Canada law requires you to be licensed as a DJ? Or you pay certain royalties for licensed music, something like that? I suggest you contact the governing body that handles your license and ask about playing music you have purchased through this website.

KLH
04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
$4 is a small price for making the bride happy. I always assume I'm going to have to buy some new music for most gigs.
Another +1. It's hard enough keeping the Bride happy. Just buy the song, play it, remember the story, and get paid.

-KLH

SummitAudioDJ
04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Most I paid for 1 song was $11 for a bride. Price of doing business.

DJMC
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I take a different approach to music purchasing.

Clause in my contract says: "ALL requests must be either a major hit song -OR- something all your guests will dance to."

This ensures that my RPM (Top Hits USA) subscription covers ALL potential requests.

I'm paying $60 per month for this Music Insurance (that's what I call my RPM monthly cost). I've been with RPM since early 1992. That's 20 years of music, all genres, about 20,000 songs in all.

If the Bride & Groom cannot find a song on Top Hits USA, they are responsible for the purchase.

We refuse to purchase a crappy song that will never be used again!

Sween
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I take a different approach to music purchasing.

Clause in my contract says: "ALL requests must be either a major hit song -OR- something all your guests will dance to."

This ensures that my RPM (Top Hits USA) subscription covers ALL potential requests.

I'm paying $60 per month for this Music Insurance (that's what I call my RPM monthly cost). I've been with RPM since early 1992. That's 20 years of music, all genres, about 20,000 songs in all.

If the Bride & Groom cannot find a song on Top Hits USA, they are responsible for the purchase.

We refuse to purchase a crappy song that will never be used again!

So if they want a song for their first dance or mother/son that you don't have, you won't buy it????

DJMC
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Chances are, if its a readily available song on a record label, the song is available on I-Tunes or Amazon.com

The problem is with "Wedding Music Central" music: These songs weren't good enough to sign with a label.

"Unsigned" artist = NOT a hit song. That means its obscure and its customer's obligation to purchase.

This issue rarely comes up. Maybe once every 2-3 years.
Most recently, it was "Molly Patootie" song for Mother/Groom dance. MOG bought the song and burned it onto a CD. At the end of the song I gladly returned the disc. I'll never play that crap song again!!!

Ntertainment
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
DJMC

I usally agree with you, but your talking a few dollars every 2-3 years. I know that we have to watch our costs otherwise they can get out of line. I feel like buying the song sucks, and your right you'll never play it again, but there is a lot of music you have because of those hitdisc that you'll never play and you paid for them. If it works for you good. I would love to pass that costs on to consumer but people are so cheap. I normally try to limit it to buying up to 5 songs per event. I had one lady that wanted all crazy music and i told her i would be charging her $1/song and she really slimmed down her list of must plays. I'm glad too cause that stuff sucked!!!

si!
04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
We have funny laws here in Canada -- we can play original CDs & Vinyl without a license, but as far as digital music goes, we can only use AVLA-licensed pools, such as Zip DJ. We can also buy an AVLA license, which allows us to play tracks from iTunes. Digital tracks from anywhere else is 'in theory' not allowed.

I think the OP wants to play a digital song that isn't AVLA-approved. I say go for it, so long as 99% of your collection is AVLA approved & paid for, and the other 1% was at least paid for :) Can't see it being a problem. They are much more interested in hunting down shady non-licensed DJs who play illegal MP3s than to pursue you!