PDA

View Full Version : Turntablists I need your help!!!

MODUS
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi guys,

So here's the story. I have managed to make it to the finals of a battle style DJ competition along with four other people. However all of my competition has 10 plus years of experience and I've only been playing for one. I need some tips/tricks that are going to blow these guys out of the water. Format is open so I can play any genre. Hoping for some specific pointers i.e. vocal mashes, DMC style blends, tracks I should play basically some really cool shit that I can use to spark my imagination since I have never even seen a DJ battle until this competition.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MODUS
04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
ALSO! If anyone has any vocal tracks that would be great for a DJ battle that would be a huge help as well.

IznremiX
04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
saskatoon eh? I believe I'm friends with one of the guys your competing with ;)

heres my advice:
don't panic. this is a huge learning opportunity. a lot of those guys have been spinning for a very long time and are fairly skilled. Its not a big deal if you lose, just be happy that you made it this far. That being said, do go out and give it your best shot. Who knows, maybe you'll beat em. idk if anyone here is going to just hand you mind blowing ideas, so its up to you go to think up ideas yourself. Think about what your style and sound is, and build on that. either way, just remember this is a good opportunity to learn and even if you don't win you can definitely take pride in the fact that you made it this far.

for inspiration, check out some of a-trak's turntablist sets. that should get you on the right track

Austin GoGreen
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Send an email to djaustingreen@gmail.com and ill send u an edit and an acap I used in my last battle that went really well. If u like it use it..

mars.shosh1n
04-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Line up 4-5 samples that can tell a short story. Then go listen to some old funk'n'soul. Listen to the drummer drum. Listen to the call and response of the gutteral 'huua', 'haah' filling the space between the drums and bass. Then channel the funk, and knock that shit out.

MODUS
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
IznremiX - Thanks for the encouragement.
Austin GoGreen - I'll send you an email right away. Thanks!
mars.shosh1n - Thanks I'll try that out.

Keep em comin!

MODUS
04-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Oh, here's the mix that got me to the finals. I recorded it today real quick for my own reference. It's a little sloppy buy you'll get the idea.
http://soundcloud.com/compu_jock/so-you-think-you-can-dj

DJ D Reddi
04-11-2012, 02:36 AM
study all the old and new dmc battles. even the online competition. then make ur own routine with samples and vocals. think outside the tts incorporate movie quotes and edit ur own stuff. if u have a macbook its pretty easy to do in garageband. the best way is to do eveything urself give it ur best shot. progress and evolve.

mars.shosh1n
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
So I got to check out Rodrigo y Gabriela last night live out here in Colorado, and I was thinking about this thread ... their flamenco/metal-derivative sound fills in all the little holes in the music, much like a turntablist. Then I started thinking about emulating their rhythms with a turntable. If you could get this shit down, then you'll be all good in the comp :)

vLCBwZNQa3o

MODUS
04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Haha thanks I'll totally nail that. I think a reverse chirp tear with a flux-capacitor flare should do the trick :) D Reddi thanks for the tip. Anyone know of any way to record custom samples from say youtube. I have audition so I can edit them but I'm just not sure how to record. Any ideas?

Sigma
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Haha thanks I'll totally nail that. I think a reverse chirp tear with a flux-capacitor flare should do the trick :) D Reddi thanks for the tip. Anyone know of any way to record custom samples from say youtube. I have audition so I can edit them but I'm just not sure how to record. Any ideas?
If you're using Windows, you can just set the recording source to Stereo Mix and record directly into Audition. Stereo Mix basically records whatever audio is being heard on the PC at the time, so if you're playing a YouTube video then it'll record the audio from that directly into the program.

MODUS
04-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Sweet thanks!

djpanda
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
try this for youtube. sound quality wont be the best...

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/