PDA

View Full Version : DVS... Torq?

chrisfornow
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey guys :)

After years of being a stubborn vinyl purist, I've decided I'm going to begin using a DVS.

Does anybody have any experience of using Torq Connectiv (made by M-Audio) as their DVS?

Cheers,

Chris :)

matty1551
04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I used it for a whole before switching to serato. It works perfectly fine and gigged with it multiple times but I found library editing poor and their product support to be pretty slow.

Think the reason I switched was the amount of time of time it took to release a snow leopard compatible version of torq.

Boomcie
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
I've owned it for years, I rarely use it anymore but it works. The 2.03 upgrade is stable and works fine for me. My only complaint is Avid/Maudios slow updates, and lack of communication.

HBBoogie
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
There is a rumor going around that Avid may be dropping Torq. Nothing official though.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/04/is-avid-about-to-drop-torq/#more-18187

KLH
04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Can anyone comment on the sticker-drift? Is it still there?

Sticker-drift is what killed the DVS feature for me.

-KLH

matty1551
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

-KLH

What is sticker drift again? Haha

KLH
04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Sticker drift is when the location of the start of a scratch location changes on a timecoded vinyl (TCV) or CD (TCCD).

For example let's say you're scratching the Ahhhh sound using TCV (on a TT) or TCCD (on a CDJ). The Ahhh starts at 3 o'clock. If you were to put a sticker on the 3 o'clock position, it shouldn't change.

However, after 6 baby scratches, the start "moves" to 4 o'clock. THAT is sticker-drift.

-KLH

Interracial Tea
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

-KLH
It should be fixed with the new version.

moyo wilde
04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
i have it. i know that one of the main problems used to be that if something was turned on or off and was on the same circuit the software would lock up, the sound cuts off immediately and you have to restart your computer. the other thing is that i have had problems getting it to work on my pc (i3 core/windows 7), i still haven't got it to work and have recieved no help (i posted on the torq boards). i also had problems a couple of times setting up torq at clubs. both times i had at least an hour and couldn't get it to run properly. oddly when i got home, i set it up and it worked.

if i had it to do over i would spend the extra money and get serato (industry standard) or traktor (loaded with features).

just my two cents.

matty1551
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Sticker drift is when the location of the start of a scratch location changes on a timecoded vinyl (TCV) or CD (TCCD).

For example let's say you're scratching the Ahhhh sound using TCV (on a TT) or TCCD (on a CDJ). The Ahhh starts at 3 o'clock. If you were to put a sticker on the 3 o'clock position, it shouldn't change.

However, after 6 baby scratches, the start "moves" to 4 o'clock. THAT is sticker-drift.

-KLH

I never noticed any obvious drift but I'm not a big scratcher.

Boomcie
04-10-2012, 01:38 AM

-KLH

It was fixed in 2.0

KLH
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
It was fixed in 2.0
GREAT news.

-KLH

Windows 95
04-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Not sure if any other people have had this problem with Torq Conectiv, but one of the channels on my audio interface quit working.
I can still use it if I play records on one turntable & use Torq for the other turntable.

KLH
04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I didn't have that problem with the Conectiv when I had it, but I had that problem with the Xponent. At the time there was a loosely soldered joint near the right deck headphone cue button. It was solved with pressing down on the case near that button periodically.

I mention that because what you're experiencing may be similar. YMMV.

-KLH

nonfatmilk
04-12-2012, 12:31 AM
i have it. i know that one of the main problems used to be that if something was turned on or off and was on the same circuit the software would lock up, the sound cuts off immediately and you have to restart your computer. the other thing is that i have had problems getting it to work on my pc (i3 core/windows 7), i still haven't got it to work and have recieved no help (i posted on the torq boards). i also had problems a couple of times setting up torq at clubs. both times i had at least an hour and couldn't get it to run properly. oddly when i got home, i set it up and it worked.

if i had it to do over i would spend the extra money and get serato (industry standard) or traktor (loaded with features).

just my two cents.

I agree. TORQ was good for the money but I've definitely had it cut out on me at gigs a few times due to the problem mentioned above. With that being said, I still have mine and use it when I do spin.

contra
04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I own torq 1.5 and 2.03 and I personally love them. I can't think of any problems with the program but Avid has absolutely horrible support. If you go to their forum there isn't even an Avid rep that helps with troubleshooting. All the support is by other users so getting answers is a little sketchy.
I bought traktor 2 a couple weeks ago and while I like it, I find Torq more user friendly. Especially with mapping controllers. In Torq all you do is right click and push whichever button/turn knob/move slider and there you do...done. I can't figure out how to map in Traktor for the life of me.

pete
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I am a vinyl junkie and I have had Torq for 5 years and really like it.

Things I like:
-Ability to run 4 decks. (albeit 2 on timecode with connectiv, but I use other soundcards as well)
-Midi mapping (to my mixer and phone)
-VST FX, elastique etc.
-Layout is simple and intuitive, with powerful controls.
-Ability to add FX to normal vinyl and control the wet/dry via the Connectiv.
-Customizable interface.
-Flac supported.
-About half the price of other systems.

Things I dislike:
-Support from Avid is lacking, but for the price I don't expect much...

I admit it took a day or two to get my head around it, mainly because it was the first DVS I had used. But apart from that it has been a marriage made in heaven.