PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drop corny throwbacks PEAK hour?

Austin GoGreen
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Question for all you mainstream club dj's... Are you dropping any corny songs peak hour that get every girl in the place singing at the top of their lungs?

This past Saturday I dropped "We are Young" by Fun and also worked in "Respect" by Aretha and one other corny songs all within 20 minutes and had my spot singing as loud as they could... I haven't done this peak hour in idk how long.

What are you fav tracks to drop?

dlove
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
'Push It' by Salt & Pepa :D works a treat.

Onna reggae tip, 'You Can Get It If You Really Want' by Jimmy Cliff always goes down a storm, no matter how hardcore the crowd.

Tektonix
04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
One Direction - What Makes You Beautifull (Dave Aude Remix)..........Gets the bitches going

RaphaelJohn
04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Believe it or not, I drop
Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
Hanson - MMMBop
Soul Decision - Faded
Smash Mouth - Allstar
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
No Doubt - Just a Girl
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Sisqo - Thong Song

All of the songs I listed with the exception of the last 2 go great together since they're within the same BPM. The best part is, EVERYONE will song along since they know all the words. It's awesome.

DJ ATX
04-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Question for all you mainstream club dj's... Are you dropping any corny songs peak hour that get every girl in the place singing at the top of their lungs?

This past Saturday I dropped "We are Young" by Fun and also worked in "Respect" by Aretha and one other corny songs all within 20 minutes and had my spot singing as loud as they could... I haven't done this peak hour in idk how long.

What are you fav tracks to drop?

I do it all the time.
Don't stop believing - Journey
It's my life - Bon Jovi
Baby got back - Sir Mix A Lot
This is how we do it - Montel Jordan
It Takes Two - Rob Base

and many more.....

Defiance
04-09-2012, 04:12 PM
With the correct age group I have a spice girls song that breaks down into the 'rap' part of the song and goes right back into high energy.

Rek_Aviles
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Aqua - Barbie Girl

Pls let this song fade away and die. pls.

frandomeda
04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Barbie Girl geeeez

KLH
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Barbie Girl? :uhoh:

I like to drop Flo Rida' - Low if it's a relatively younger crowd. If not and there are some older funk muffins, I drop Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer or White Cherry's Play That Funky Music.

-KLH

RaphaelJohn
04-09-2012, 05:44 PM

you'd be surprised how many people actually go insane with this. But I bet if DJ AM, DJ Vice, Jazzy Jeff dropped it, it would be ok....

Lazerick
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
depends on how much I'm getting paid and how much I had to drink :uhoh:

sss18734
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat
Will Smith - Miami
Joann Jet - I Love Rock n Roll

These work at most weddings, sorority/fraternity parties, clubs... especially if mixed well.

B3NNY
04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
you'd be surprised how many people actually go insane with this. But I bet if DJ AM, DJ Vice, Jazzy Jeff dropped it, it would be ok....

Jazzy Jeff really? Dont think it would happen. If it did.....still wouldnt be ok, but you do you buddy:lol:

DJWhiteChoco
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I got a sick Journey-dont stop believing/Billie Jean remix that works great!
Sometimes ill throw in Aerosmith n RUN DMC - walk this way
I try to stay away from the real corny ones but sometimes it great to just break the same ol same ol

RaphaelJohn
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
The OP's subject was "Corny" songs.

sss18734
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
"We Are Young" is corny?

Austin GoGreen
04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
We are young is an anthem.. Respect that followed would be a corny song.

I just pulled up the playlist.. I dropped in this order - we are young, say aah, shoop by salt n pepa, pussy control, booty call, respect, I want u back by nsync, 1,2 step, Billie jean, don't stop the rock at peak which is something I never do but it was what the crowd wanted at the time.

JuxtaPoser
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm not at all convinced that it's ever okay to play Barbie Girl in a club.

That said, I'm a HUGE fan of throwing in curveballs into DJ sets and there are few things that put a smile on my more than someone cleverly mixing in an absolute gem of a classic into an otherwise upfront/cool set.

Pro tip: Lionel Richie - Dancin' On The Ceiling is 133 bpm...

BoonDoc
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Ini-Kamoze hear comes the hot stepper
snow- informer
odb- baby i got your money
house of pain- jump around
and can't forget about rump shaker
all are still widely accepted and have a crazy back in the day old school house party response in my experience

Pavin
04-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I
Pro tip: Lionel Richie - Dancin' On The Ceiling is 133 bpm...

Oh my god; when have you had the chance to drop that track? When I use to play house parties I'd play this song that these 90s kids would go wild to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP3Exc5tCtc

Dave Daschofsky
04-10-2012, 12:11 AM
All the time.

Andrew1207
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Ini-Kamoze hear comes the hot stepper
odb- baby i got your money
house of pain- jump around

no doubt, love playing these

purex like soap
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
tag team-whoomp there it is

sobi
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Biz Markie - Just a Friend
At the right time, the entire house is singing/screaming along [/end thread]

DJ ATX
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
biz markie - just a friend
at the right time, the entire house is singing/screaming along [/end thread]

yep!!

Buszaj
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I play at a college/university club. On 2 occasions this year I dropped a 20 minute 90's pop set. All the biggest hits from NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc. People went wild lol. You won't be able to do it much longer since the crowd coming in is younger each year, and they didn't grow up with those songs. But all the tracks were re-drums and extended mixes, so everything was mixed properly.

Rek_Aviles
04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
I play at a college/university club. On 2 occasions this year I dropped a 20 minute 90's pop set. All the biggest hits from NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc. People went wild lol. You won't be able to do it much longer since the crowd coming in is younger each year, and they didn't grow up with those songs. But all the tracks were re-drums and extended mixes, so everything was mixed properly.

X-Mix or Ultimix?

I used mega mixes of Reggae and disco, from X-Mix. Comes in handy sometimes. :tup:

RDRCK
04-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Tubthumping is far, far worse. I've walked out of places when that came on.

ampnation
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
"Respect" by Aretha and one other corny songs

We are young is an anthem.. Respect that followed would be a corny song.

HEY! Show a little res.... ah never mind.

JuxtaPoser
04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
This is 132 bpm. I'd love to play this out as a throwback classic once in a while, but I'm not sure anyone would know it :-/

Serious guilty pleasure.

qYkbTyHXwbs&ob=av3e

Finnish_Fox
04-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Anyone ever drop a corny deuce at peak hour?

Buszaj
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
X-Mix or Ultimix?

I used mega mixes of Reggae and disco, from X-Mix. Comes in handy sometimes. :tup:

A few of them are ultimix. Those remixes come in so handy at times.

dj daywalker
04-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Beatles - twist and shout

around 128bpm

RaphaelJohn
04-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I guess since my song selection sucks I should hang up my headphones hahaha