PDA

View Full Version : Mackie SRM450 or Eon315?

DJRHO
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
So I am in the market for a new set of speakers. I want to spend under $1000 and get two powered speakers. I like the eons bc they are lightweight and sound good, but I have heard good things about the mackies. What do you think?

drzinc
04-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Neither of those speakers are the best sounding in that price range. The EV and the QSC sound better.

SummitAudioDJ
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Neither as stated above.

Look at the RCF ART 312A's , they will blow the socks off of both the speakers you listed and sound much better doing it. They can be found for less than $1000 / pair. I will bet that most everyone will chime in and say the same thing. For your price range , you won't find a better powered speaker than the RCF's. I have a pair and wish I bought them years ago.

DJ Riddims
04-09-2012, 12:09 PM
As an owner of the Mackie SRM450v2 I say get the RCF Art Series. I am starting to dislike the sound of my Mackies these days. They sound a little too harsh and shrill even at low volumes in my opinion.

DJJDGator
04-09-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART-312A-Active-Powered-Speaker-ART312A-PAIR-/280858165917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416473829d

enough said

bumpyjonas
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Get the RCF's from a perspective of price point, quality and overall sound the better choice.

CQE DJs
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
+1 on RCF's I have 3 of them. they are great.

ampnation
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Yup RCF. The QSC's are well above $1000, so unless you're willing to spend more and need what you get for that on the K-10 or K12, there's no point. Are you using a sub too? If so, get yourself a crossover or DSP if you don't already have one.

Al Poulin
04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I've owned, tested and reviewed a shitload of powered speakers and actually just tested a brand new one today (Wharfedale Titan 12D) and after all this - I simply have to say nothing sounds quite as good as my RCFs... :love:

I own 2 pairs of the tiny 310As and they are simply amazing for their size, but I would recommend the 312As IF you're not planning on using a sub (or subs) to handle the deeper stuff.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

jayhwk
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
The original SRM450 sounded pretty good for its day and was one of the first big market plastic powered speakers. It, however, didn't start with Mackie.

The SRM450 is an RCF design. About ten years ago or so, Mackie purchased RCF and began "Loud Corp."-ifying the company, moving a lot of production from Italy to China, etc. A lot of RCF people ran and started 18 Sound. Then, a few year after that, 18 Sound bought RCF back from Mackie in Italian Bankruptcy court. The SRM450 had been developed while the company was with Mackie, so Mackie was able to keep the design, but the new RCF countered with the ART series.

The SRM450v2 is an all Mackie design that many feel is inferior to the original SRM450.

DjAaron
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I am running the K10's (just bought them) and they sound great. Yeah I know they are more then the RCF's and from what everyone says they are spectacular speakers. I went with K10's mainly because of the 6yr warranty and because I live 10min form QSC in case if I need to take them in for repair. I am definitely going to run a sub but I will get one later since I am just doing small family parties for right now.

I had Mackie speakers and when pushed really hard they do seem to sound really harsh on the ears. I was really dissapointed in them so I sold them and got my QSC K10's.

ampnation
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I am running the K10's (just bought them) and they sound great. Yeah I know they are more then the RCF's and from what everyone says they are spectacular speakers. I went with K10's mainly because of the 6yr warranty and because I live 10min form QSC in case if I need to take them in for repair. I am definitely going to run a sub but I will get one later since I am just doing small family parties for right now.

I had Mackie speakers and when pushed really hard they do seem to sound really harsh on the ears. I was really dissapointed in them so I sold them and got my QSC K10's.

I have the K10's as well. I love them but if I were buying in today's market, I'd be torn between them and RCF's not because of sound quality, but rather because of the better mixer section on the QSC's, full face grille, and the warranty.

There's another speaker that just entered my radar too even more than the QSC's I would take a hard look at... the FBT Promaxx14A. I'll put up another thread about it so as not to hijack.