PDA

View Full Version : How to rotate a tv image?

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm looking to rotate the image on my tv 90 degrees so I can turn my TVs tall ways. Anyone know how this can be done?

YourEventMatters.com

allenpa5
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
good question! I'd like to know, too!

DJ Watty
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
depends on your software.

It's been a while since I spun video. But I remember there being something in one of the effect bays on VSL to adjust screen position as an effect. I will look tonight when I get to studio and update..... I could be wrong.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
No not for the purposes of spinning but rather for display. Showing slide shows, playing a DVD or the likes. I want to turn a tv vertically but allow the image to turn with it.

Interracial Tea
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm just guessing here, but shouldn't there be a setting on the TV itself if it supports it?

DJ Watty
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
ok if you are using a windows based PC as your output source try this

Hook up your monitor and
Hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys and rotate the screen with the Arrow keys.

The screen will position it self in the direction of the arrow you push

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Ok I'll try that although when I did that once before the image looked skewed on the 50" tv. Do you know if there is a way to alter the TV itself?

allenpa5
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Ok I'll try that although when I did that once before the image looked skewed on the 50" tv. Do you know if there is a way to alter the TV itself?

You know what, I just thought of this, but just check out your local best buy and ask the guys there! They have TVs rotated like that all the time. Someone's gotta know how they do it!

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
You know what, I just thought of this, but just check out your local best buy and ask the guys there! They have TVs rotated like that all the time. Someone's gotta know how they do it!

Shit at the best buy around me i donth think they know how to hook up a dvd player lol

allenpa5
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Shit at the best buy around me i donth think they know how to hook up a dvd player lol

welllll that's a shame lol. Someone's gotta know how to do this!

Rothgery
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I've never seen an option on a regular tv to do this... as posted before though, changing the aspect of your computers video output is easy enough - remember that most tvs are set up to display the aspect ratio for their size, if you flip it on its side and play somthing like a movie or dvd the video on the screen would be like a little box so that it can try to keep a "normal" looking picture.... I mean a lot of the top and bottom will be cut off for normal video, especially if your tv is displaying in somekind of ratio like 16:9 something like that.

Your computer will automatically adjust for this if you rotate your output source. :tup:

Unknown DJ
02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Whats the source? your either going to end up with a stretched and distorted image or you will have large black bars on the top and bottom.

drzinc
02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
The way the have portrait videos showing in malls or displays is that they are shot that way to begin with. If you ever shot video on a ipod/pad/phone you have probably shot video in the portrait mode. if you were to play that video on a tv that is turned sideways it will be played properly.

drumpusher
02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
The way the have portrait videos showing in malls or displays is that they are shot that way to begin with. If you ever shot video on a ipod/pad/phone you have probably shot video in the portrait mode. if you were to play that video on a tv that is turned sideways it will be played properly.

This, the media fits the medium.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Guess I'm going to have to start using a pc again for my slide shows instead of DVD. I really want to make this work.

Synaxis
02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Well first, check if there is a setting on your TV.

Second, you have have a more advanced graphics card, capable of supporting multiple displays, it should have it's own Control Panel installed somewhere on your PC, with the option to rotate the display. I know my Nvidia card is capable of that.

You can also try "Display Properties" in Windows.

Just make sure your TV is set as a "Secondary" monitor, and not a clone, or else both your TV and Computer Screen will become rotated.

DYM
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I would guess there's a setting under the menu on the TV.... just pull up the handy manuel or search it online?

andythemusician
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
You either

a) Run off a computer, with the second screen (the rotated TV) on a 90deg angle in your display preferences, and let the software realise it will be displaying on a different sized monitor than usual (ie/ instead of being say 1920x1080, it will be 1080x1920)

b) Design your DVD slide presentation with everything on a 90deg angle. Depending on your software, this could be really easy, or bloody annoying. Basic software, for example, will give you presets to choose from (probably 4x3 and 16x9 and thats it) which means you will be designing your DVD with your monitor turned because the software can't do it. More advanced software will let you custom choose your own resolution and framing sizes, and allow you to design the product exactly how it is going to look (without you turning your monitor or getting a neck cramp whilst designing it!!)

I hope this makes sense, let me know if anyone needs some visual examples to help understand.

djtanveer
02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
ok if you are using a windows based PC as your output source try this

Hook up your monitor and
Hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys and rotate the screen with the Arrow keys.

The screen will position it self in the direction of the arrow you push
this works on dell computers and im sure theres a setting hidden somewhere in the windows control panel. I would count on too many TVs having this feature built in because its not something your average consumer would demand. thats just my $0.02