PDA

View Full Version : Is there something like live music creation?

Dmyst
07-01-2016, 04:59 PM
I mean not blending and modifying tracks. Mixing samples live into a track. I've never djed myself just played around with some software and a small akai midi controller so I'm pretty clueless. Is stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmY9K41x64 commonplace or more of a rarity? But they use like 3 ppl and it doesn't look like they create from scratch and are just mixing in stuff. If I had to dj like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYpRCh4qdbU I'd get bored fast, I couldn't do that. Are there setups/styles where the dj actually creates music live?

lastcat
10-05-2016, 10:00 PM
What you are seeing are guys that have spent the time mixing and live playing. It's common, probably more so for bigger Clubs. It's what a Band would do. They setup their gear and practice. It's what it takes, practice. I am sure every time they play the same song, they are free to change things around. It's all in the mixing and practicing at home. And it will cost some Euro's to get the gear.

pete
10-06-2016, 02:58 AM
Yes this thing exists. It has been becoming popular for about the last 15 years.
Be careful to differentiate between people playing pre-mixed mashups or pre-programmed sets and "live" stuff.
This guy is very talented at this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkQy-v77JA

People have been rocking parties with just two tracks blended together for the last...5 decades. When done well it can sound as interesting, and take as much work, as "live remixing".

rikv
10-17-2016, 06:10 PM
All this hype originates with audio/hardware producers who wants you to sell their new built stuff ...they want to make you believe you can play live samplesongs. They want your money...it's that simple. What's the use of playing livesamples? You produce music in a studio...not on stage. Anyway.... why would you do it live?

Windows 95
10-17-2016, 09:28 PM
What's the use of playing livesamples? You produce music in a studio...not on stage. Anyway.... why would you do it live?Never heard of the DMC World DJ Championship? (All pre-planned & well rehearsed routines.) Scratch DJs have been pretty much doing live remixes for decades.

Almost anybody just randomly playing around with Ableton Push (or Push 2) at home can see the attraction of wanting to do live remixes during a set.

dlove
10-19-2016, 01:48 AM
^^ my current fave Jon 1st - he's been to the club a few times, and is one of the few scratch, live mixing DJ's tha can keep a dancefloor hyped - loads of scratch/juggle DJ's are a bit heavy & boring (boy's own style imo), but Jon 1st gets the girls dancing :D

wqIBoxs2u7U

dlove
10-19-2016, 01:53 AM
also here's Fingathing - amazing live, lucky to have seen them about 6 times :)

VjnuFVgObNs

rikv
10-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Never heard of the DMC World DJ Championship? (All pre-planned & well rehearsed routines.) Scratch DJs have been pretty much doing live remixes for decades.

Almost anybody just randomly playing around with Ableton Push (or Push 2) at home can see the attraction of wanting to do live remixes during a set.
A DJ Championship is not a regular dj-set, you're talking about someone who wants to impress others like a magician does, while spectators are watching it.
Just like a soccerplayer..his aim is to score goals with his team...not doing solitude foot- and hattricks.
A regular DJ... his goal is to get people on the dancefloor dancing, to give them a good time.
He is of no importance...the audience is.
And you know it.... for sure...that's a hell more difficult, than studying some monkey-fingertricks.