PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Yorkville LS801P + 2 x JBL SRX715 (QSC 3602)

partyrockers
04-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Hello All...

I just purchased this system. I'm not a sound guy at all and was wondering how to hook this up correctly and with what settings.

2 x LS801P
2 x SRX715
1 x QSC3602

Currently I have the QSC in stereo running at 775 watts per ch. into the SRX715. I know this is under-powering the speakers, but 775 watts seems loud. Please advise on this.

Currently I'm running a DENON X500 mixer which has a "subwoofer" output with "40hz - 200hz" dial. I have plugged the sub(s) into this output. Please advise on this.

Small Events/Rooms (50 - 250 people) = 2 SRX715

Medium Events/Rooms (250 - 350 people) = 2 SRX715 + 1 SUB

Large Events/Rooms (350 - 500 people) = 2 SRX715 + 2 SUBS

I'm not sure how to set the LS801P dials on the back.

Any help would be great!

windspeed36
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
To get the optimum and the best versatility out of that system you'll want to add some form of outboard signal processing wether it be an analog crossover or digital signal processor (DSP). I'd recommend having a look at some of the DBX options. The DBX233XL would work perfectly for you or if you've got the cash a DBX drive rack.

What the 233 does (when operating in 2 way stereo) is splits the signal between mids and highs and lows. It allows you to set at what frequency and above the SRX cabs begin and what frequencies your subs will get. The 233 from memory can also sum, so if you only want a single subwoofer you have both your L and R channels feeding the sub yet the sound it still stereo.

As I said if you can afford it, a DBX driverack would work really well, it has the options of an EQ to remove the nulls in a room, a master compressor so if the groom or someone suddenly drops a mic or you accidentally put your faders to +12 you won't blow your equipment up (providing you set it up correctly)

Both options work the same way however one is digital allowing for more options. You would take your LR master out of the mixer into channels 1/2 on the X-Over then your HF outputs LR to the QSC and your LR or Mono low freq send to the subwoofer(s)

As for your speaker power, yes you are underpowering your speaker a bit however it's do-able just don't expect great amounts because you haven't got the power. That's the one thing I hate about using the SRX is that they are mainly 8ohm cabs which mean -atleast it aus, you have to pay a fair bit for a decent amp - You may need to look at upgrading your amp to something with a bit more power if you find yourself struggling. A crown MA-3600VZ IT5000HD or XTI6000 would suit

audiopyle
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Run 2 XLR cables from the output of your mixer to the female XLR inputs of your PLX3602, then plug two TRS - Male XLR patch cables or adaptors into the adjacent 1/4" TRS jacks on the amp. Run 2 more XLR cables from there to your LS801P inputs. Set the PLX3602 filter switches to the 100 Hz TOP position, and set your LS801p filter at about 100 Hz. Turn the gain knobs on the PLX3602 all the way up and then set the gain on your LS801P to get a good level match. Adjust the contour knob on the LS801P to your taste.

partyrockers
04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Run 2 XLR cables from the output of your mixer to the female XLR inputs of your PLX3602, then plug two TRS - Male XLR patch cables or adaptors into the adjacent 1/4" TRS jacks on the amp. Run 2 more XLR cables from there to your LS801P inputs. Set the PLX3602 filter switches to the 100 Hz TOP position, and set your LS801p filter at about 100 Hz. Turn the gain knobs on the PLX3602 all the way up and then set the gain on your LS801P to get a good level match. Adjust the contour knob on the LS801P to your taste.

This helps...but what if i wanna run only one sub at smaller events?

audiopyle
04-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Run both cables to the one sub. It has 2 inputs. One is labeled "input" and the other is labeled "mono sum input". What you are doing is "mono summing" two inputs to the single subwoofer.

dj-ty
04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Mike or anyone else, I have DSR115 Yamaha powered tops and LS608 Yorkville subs. I am using a QSC GX7 for the subs. I just purchased a dxb 223xs crossover but was wondering if I would get better sound with a DriveRack PA+

windspeed36
04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Mike or anyone else, I have DSR115 Yamaha powered tops and LS608 Yorkville subs. I am using a QSC GX7 for the subs. I just purchased a dxb 223xs crossover but was wondering if I would get better sound with a DriveRack PA+

I doubt it would make much of a difference. All you will gain is a very precise crossover point. If you were bi amping passive speakers then yes a proper speaker management system; such as the DBX PA+ would work better than a 3 or 4 way stereo crossover. However if you're simply splitting between mid highs and lows for the subs, it won't really make much of a difference. With the PA+ though, you gain a built in comp as well as a graphics EQ (which I personally find pointless unless its on a permanent install)

dj-ty
04-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks windspeed36.