PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but good DVS setup?

TMath1999
05-01-2016, 10:47 AM
I am looking into getting into Djing and I think that starting with vinyl would be a good option as im a strong believer that letting the computer do everything for you is silly and doesn't actually teach you anything. Although i feel it would be good for me to start on vinyl, i would also like to be able to play some of the newer music i listen to without having to pay £20 + for the vinyl. Also a large majority of the music i listen to is not released on vinyl (which is a shame) But I would like to have some opinions on what would be a good fairly priced (under £400) DVS setup I could get and wouldn't limit me in too many areas and that I wouldn't need to upgrade if (for the moment) am just practising and mixing in my room) P.s I am also happy to buy second hand so equipment which may not be being produced anymore but is still good quality kit that i could buy from gumtree or somewhere i would be willing to look at that. I have recently found some average decks with mixers on gumtree, so I am sort of halfway there. Would it be worth me just buying a mixer which supports DVS and buy some timecode vinyls instead of buying a fully digital controller like DDJ SB2? and if it would be what mixer would you recommend?

Unknown DJ
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
https://www.decks.co.uk/products/dvs-digital-vinyl-system/rane/serato-sl2#.Vyukl779ajM or look used for a used Serato box.

sephi
05-29-2016, 10:07 PM
The computer can't do everything for you. There's plenty of skills to develop even on the newest digital gizmos. You'll have to learn phrasing, mixing in key, organizing a library, selecting good tracks, reading a crowd, etc. no matter whether you're using vinyl or a controller. A DVS or controller will give you some time-savers and various other conveniences, but you will still have to learn how to configure them and use them effectively.

If your budget is £400, DVS is not an option. The most basic DVS setup is going to be about £200 per turntable, £50 for the most awful mixer you could scrounge up, and then another £350 for the DVS interface. You're looking at about £800.

I highly recommend getting a controller for Traktor, Serato DJ, or Rekordbox, instead of going for a DVS, given your budget.

fatcatdj
07-17-2016, 12:42 AM
This is a rather old thread but if the OP is still here or anyone who's looking for a budget way to DVS here goes:

1. Get Turntables
2. Serato Vinyl discs---preferably series 2
3. American Audio MXR10, 14 or 19 mixer
4. Virtual DJ Pro (not the free one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegnqUW-0nk

You have to spend a few bucks by buying the mixer and Virtual Dj Pro software. You can also buy someone's used SL2 box but
I like American Audio because the soundcard is built into the mixer like the more expensive Rane Serato mixers---so theres not a mess of RCA cables
hanging out.