PDA

View Full Version : Traktor Scratch A6 Vs. Serato SL1

Sigma
04-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't like these "vs" threads, but on this occasion I need to start one, lol.

I currently have Serato - the original SL1. It works great, but 2 things that I don't like about it are lack of FLAC support and the more I use it, the more I find that it's not brilliant for scratching, particularly with slow record movements.

If I switched to using a Traktor Scratch A6 then it would be a relatively cheap upgrade, as Serato SL1 packages still sell for £200 or thereabouts on eBay and the A6 package is £249 new (and maybe a little cheaper if I shop around). Traktor supports FLAC and I've heard that it's marginally better for scratching too - not sure if that's true or not.

So there are 2 things that are holding me back: -

1. Is Traktor better/worse/same for scratching?

2. I only need a DVS as a basic vinyl replacement. All I want to do is be able to add my library to it, then I'd use it to mix/scratch as if I was using vinyl. I've read comments that say Traktor is too complicated, that the UI isn't very good for regular DJing, and that it's more designed for "controllerists" and people that use controllers to do on the fly production/mash ups and what have you. At the most I might use cue points or loops, but that'll be it.

So with that in mind, would switching be a wise move or should I just stick with what I've got? Please bear in mind my particular needs, rather than just saying "I have Traktor and it's great!" or whatever.

Cheers!

KLH
04-06-2012, 09:55 PM
You may want to consider asking if SL2-4 makes a difference to as the SL-1 only uses USB1.1 (IIRC) where the others use USB2. With the increase in IO throughput there might be impact to scratching performance.

Just a thought.

-KLH

silentsounds
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I'd look into the SL2-4 as well if I were you. I found the Traktor interface too busy and a bit tedious to use. I've seen a couple of reviews comparing the latest Serato versions with those of Traktor's and there generally doesn't seem to be huge differences from what I can recall in terms of scratching performance.

Sigma
04-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Cheers doods. The SL2 is £100 more than the A6 and the SL4 is nearly 3 times the price. I don't really want to pay that much.

Why don't Native Instruments sort the Traktor interface out? Nearly every gripe I see about it is related to that.

silentsounds
04-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Cheers doods. The SL2 is £100 more than the A6 and the SL4 is nearly 3 times the price. I don't really want to pay that much.

Why don't Native Instruments sort the Traktor interface out? Nearly every gripe I see about it is related to that.

If you spend some time with it, you will figure it out. However, it's not as straight forward as Serato is.

Note: I'm talking about Traktor Pro 2 since it's the version I own.

B3NNY
04-07-2012, 06:11 AM
I can see how Traktor could look confusing or cluttered, but one good thing is that you can really simplify the look by getting rid of most of the stuff you dont want to see or use. Serato obviously has the overlaping waveforms which are a nice aid for quickly beatmatching. Traktor does have a phase meter, but it's really useless unless you have good beatgrids which doesnt seem like you would want to get into.

Sounds like you would be beatmatching exclusively by ear anyways so you can always give Traktor a try for free. Download a demo of Traktor pro 2 from the NI website and play with these tabs found in the preferences section: browser details/global settings/mixer/decks layout . These tabs all have layout options in them where you can get rid of or include something to your liking or even change the look of some stuff.

mostapha
04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
1. Traktor is supposed to be better at tracking small/slow movements of the CV.

2. The UI is pretty customizable. You'll never have the waveforms scrolling together, but...whatever. If you want, you can put it into browser only mode and get everything out of the way except your library.

deejayjsin
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Here is Dj Qbert's comparison
fTj-L7EKCL8

DJNR
04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Personally, I think the UI is fine in Traktor, but granted I have been using it for four years. When I first started, I didn't really have troubles picking it up. Anyways, to answer your question, either software will work. I would just look for the best deal on either and roll with it.

pete
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
You know Torq eliminated sticker drift and has flac.
Also has a simple interface.
Also can use your Serato soundcard.

Plus you love Torq so much already, its a no brainer.
:D

Sigma
04-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Haha, Pete! I would be willing to give Torq another go, but only by trying another DJ's setup. I'm not buying it again without being 100% sure it's improved a lot. Once bitten, twice shy!

pete
04-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Well I think it still has the 30 day free demo.
But you'd have to get some control vinyl...
:P

antFastic
04-08-2012, 06:59 AM
I upgraded from SL1 to SL2 a few months back, the only performance difference you get is in the sound quality, scratch performance is the same because you are still using the same control vinyl which is the main thing that separates Traktor and SSL. This is because Traktor uses a 2khz carrier signal compared to SSL which uses 1khz, hence why you get more resolution with the smaller movements. However, the grass is not all greener, I found this:
http://serato.com/forum/discussion/74746
and this:
http://mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=707

Although the new prices are making Traktor look more attractive than ever to me, I have had SSL for a long time now and it's been top notch so I don't think I could simply ditch SSL to go for Traktor. I'd have to own both for a month or so before making the choice, there are pros and cons on both sides and I currently have no real reason to switch but I would like to try it out just to see if I am missing out on anything, or not.

I'm with you on Torq Sigma, been there done it, never again. I did try the 2.0 demo out of interest but it didn't really inspire me with confidence that an awful lot had changed.