PDA

View Full Version : Warping vocals in Ableton

howtokilldj
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping that someone around these parts has experienced the same sort of frustration that I am when it comes to warping vocals in Ableton. Working with acapellas is a nightmare and I've honestly been discouraged from doing so given Ableton's less-than-intuitive interface (maybe I'm wrong about that, but it is frustrating!)

Most tutorials I find don't really apply to warping vocals to 170+ bpm, seeing as I produce UK Hardcore, so naturally I run in to a ton of road blocks when it comes to actually making things sound half-decent. I've actually considered making the switch to Cubase and learning an entirely new DAW.

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to working with this warping system? I've got friends using FL Studio where it's a breeze to slap together a vocal remix, whereas I'm left lagging behind trying to figure things out.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks guys.

Original
04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't mean to offend, but have you read the manual? Can you warp a full track? It's a little tough to warp vocals because you don't have an underlying beat structure to help you out. I normally have the full version of the song on itunes so I can hear what syllables should be hitting on a beat. Past that I don't know what to tell you. If you can warp a track you should be able to warp vocals.

You say that Ableton's interface is "less-than-intuitive" which to me says you need to practice more with the program until it becomes intuitive.

howtokilldj
04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm referring more to warping segments, actually, and I haven't been able to successfully warp a track yet. It's often distorted or choppy sounding. Even warping a few bars is difficult. Following tutorials never seems to be able to provide a definitive solution for the problems I'm having, and often they'll each present different methods of warping, which makes things a bit confusing. I think it's a given that I need to practice more with the DAW - if I didn't, I wouldn't be here asking for help.

Celestial
04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
are you trying to warp them for dj purposes or remixing purposes? In either case it's not that difficult dude