PDA

View Full Version : Mackie MR5 MK2s after owning them for 2 weeks

djlukewathey
04-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Ok so from a previouse thread i was in the market for a new set of monitors, My budget was around £240 as i was looking at a pair of Alesis M1 active, Alesis m1 520s and the yamaha hs50m although a little out of my price range,

so i went to listen to the speakers in my local shop and i the guy showed me the mackie MR5 Mk2s and i fell in love with them,

so a week later i went back down to the shop and bought the Mackies and some Samson MS100 stands.

my first impresion was these sound great, great timing a massive amount of punchy bass for the size of the speaker and vocals were big and clear.

after useing the monitors a few times i realised they were slightly a bit to bass heavy for my apartment so i bunged the ports up and BANG they were sweet,

doing this also tightened the beats up and made them alot more faster, (i listen to Hardcore, Techno and Hip hop)

i also found these speakers will sound really good regardless on what music you are playing, for example my brother has the PMC tb2 Actives and they were like 3grand and they only really sound good with techno and hip hop, they really dont like hardcore lol.

from a monitoring side these monitors are great as it almost splits the track up ie beats, synths, high hats etc

and this makes it a good way of monitoring as you can pice the track together yourself.

overall for the price if you want a good all round monitor whith out having to sell your house i would deffinatly recommend this monitor.

also i might add iv not come across any problems with these as yet except the kind of bass heavy at first.