PDA

View Full Version : Starting Off

franke
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
-posted this in digital forum...I feel that may have been the wrong place so can anyone delete that? Noobness...

I don't know much so I'm sorry, I've been researching and being on the fence of DJing for a year, and I just figured what the hell I might as well do it.

I love the fel of being able to scratch with vinyl, and I love finding old records and playing them, but I also would love to use digital music as I feel it greatly simplifies things for clubs and everything. I don't really want an MIDI controller.

Traktor Scratch Pro and SS can hook up to vinyl turntables and make them mess around with digital music if I'm not mistaken, how do I do this? I want a cheap solution and I don't really prefer any software over the other.

I am getting in to DJing because I love music and I love to entertain, not to make money. I want it as a hobby. I just know what direction I want, but I don't quite know how to get there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

DjAaron
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Well first off you should let us know what your budget is for your setup. That will help us give advice on what to get

franke
04-06-2012, 12:11 AM
My budget is what could get me the cheapest possible thing for the best quality, if that makes sense? I have my laptop, ability to get either software and I'm getting 2 turntables that are pretty solid. Alls I'm looking for is a mixer and something to scratch with my vinyl and conenct it to my Macbook Pro at an affordable price, (not $800 for that Rane control thing whatever it's called)

franke
04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
...or is me wanting vinyl to spin and hooking it up to my digital music collection a completely irrational decision?

DJ Sunshine
04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
If you have two turntables on the way, all you are needing at this point is the software, a mixer, and an interface.

Traktor Scratch Duo 2 and Serato SL1 or 2 would be my two recommendations. Native Instruments and Rane are the two heavy-hitters in the DVS community, with both offering very tight and accurate software manipulation with analog hardware control. Duo 2 runs in the $350 range, SL1 maybe a bit cheaper but not by much. These come packaged with timecode vinyl records, the USB interface, and the matching software. Take a look at the pro's and con's of each software, and determine which will suit your needs the best. Both are quite stellar, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

An Allen and Heath Xone 22 mixer would do the trick if you simply plan on using 2 decks. They run about $300 new. Any 2-channel mixer will do however, so if you find a good deal on eBay or Craigslist, go check it out. Stay away from anything with the name Pyle or Pyramid, as it's just cheap trash.

...or is me wanting vinyl to spin and hooking it up to my digital music collection a completely irrational decision?

Not at all, quite the opposite in fact. Many DJs who own vinyl records and prefer the feel of turntables go this route, as it keeps the authentic feel but also allows for the easy transport of a large music collection as well as added functions the software is able to provide.

franke
04-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks man that helped so muchQ So with this Allen and Heath Xone 22 mixer I would be able to convert the phono sound directly to digital for my computer? or do I still need an audio 8 or SL3?

Andrew B
04-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks man that helped so muchQ So with this Allen and Heath Xone 22 mixer I would be able to convert the phono sound directly to digital for my computer? or do I still need an audio 8 or SL3?

Yes, you'll need the (proprietary) interface that comes with whichever DVS you choose. Traktor Scratch Duo or a used Rane SL-1 are your best bets.

What turntables are you getting?

franke
04-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Audio Technica AT-PL60 because they're cheap and I've been reading good reviews. And this all sounds like buying an MIDI controller, as much as I originally didn't want to, is a much better alternative. Am I wrong?

Andrew B
04-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Audio Technica AT-PL60 because they're cheap and I've been reading good reviews. And this all sounds like buying an MIDI controller, as much as I originally didn't want to, is a much better alternative. Am I wrong?

Those aren't suitable for DJing. You'll need direct-drive DJ turntables with pitch control.

A MIDI controller is certainly cheaper.

franke
04-06-2012, 01:28 AM
alright, didn't think of that. I guess that's why I'm here right? I guess I'm not afraid to invest money, but I want it to go to something quality but not overly expensive. And I don't really know quite which direction to take...

manoaboi
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
alright, didn't think of that. I guess that's why I'm here right? I guess I'm not afraid to invest money, but I want it to go to something quality but not overly expensive. And I don't really know quite which direction to take...

A MIDI controller will definitely be the most affordable, bang-for-your-buck option.

A decent, nonlimiting scratch setup requires:

-2 direct-drive turntables with enough torque to handle scratching. Technics 1200's are the standard, however there are alternative brands that make cheaper, functional scratch decks like numark and stanton. Do your research, search craigslist. You want torque around or above 1.9 Kgf-cm (that's technics specs)
-Needles/Cartridges that can handle scratching without excessive skipping. Shure M44-7s are the standard, and a pair can be aquired for a bit over $100 (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M44-7-Standard-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B00008W2LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333732996&sr=8-1)
-A mixer with a crossfader for scratching. The American Audio QD-5 Mk II is often cited around these parts as the go-to budget scratch mixer, as it comes with an optimal crossfader for scratching. Anyone know if they still make those? Jeeze its been a while since I've recommended a budget scratch setup.
-Scratch records - records like Super Duck Breaks (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Duck-Breaks-Duper/dp/B0000787FV) or Super Seal (http://www.amazon.com/Thud-Rumble-Super-Seal-Skratchy/dp/B000U06UGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1) that have an assortment of scratch sounds to use.

Finnish_Fox
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
A MIDI controller will definitely be the most affordable, bang-for-your-buck option.

A decent, nonlimiting scratch setup requires:

-2 direct-drive turntables with enough torque to handle scratching. Technics 1200's are the standard, however there are alternative brands that make cheaper, functional scratch decks like numark and stanton. Do your research, search craigslist. You want torque around or above 1.9 Kgf-cm (that's technics specs)
-Needles/Cartridges that can handle scratching without excessive skipping. Shure M44-7s are the standard, and a pair can be aquired for a bit over $100 (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M44-7-Standard-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B00008W2LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333732996&sr=8-1)
-A mixer with a crossfader for scratching. The American Audio QD-5 Mk II is often cited around these parts as the go-to budget scratch mixer, as it comes with an optimal crossfader for scratching. Anyone know if they still make those? Jeeze its been a while since I've recommended a budget scratch setup.
-Scratch records - records like Super Duck Breaks (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Duck-Breaks-Duper/dp/B0000787FV) or Super Seal (http://www.amazon.com/Thud-Rumble-Super-Seal-Skratchy/dp/B000U06UGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1) that have an assortment of scratch sounds to use.

What is he looking to spend on a mixer? I'd get a used Vestax 05 Pro or something... seen them pretty inexpensive...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/2925973615.html

$60, a part or two and some elbow grease.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/2932039004.html

Here is an 06 that needs a power supply and replacement knob for $40.

ben mills
04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Deck torque matters, but it's not the most important factor by any means. You want a deck that will hold the pitch. Wow and flutter is the spec to look at for that.

First decks I ever bought (Numark Pro-TT2) had great torque. Couldn't hold the pitch. And got wacky around cell phones. I traded them for some herbs around 8 years ago.

manoaboi
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Deck torque matters, but it's not the most important factor by any means. You want a deck that will hold the pitch. Wow and flutter is the spec to look at for that.

First decks I ever bought (Numark Pro-TT2) had great torque. Couldn't hold the pitch. And got wacky around cell phones. I traded them for some herbs around 8 years ago.

I'm was just talking about a bare bones scratch-specific setup. For scratch and mixing torque is def. not the only important thing to worry about.

franke
04-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Thaanks guys! So I've been researching and I think that a MIDI controller is beckoning me, as it does seem to get the most bang for your buck and it can be good practice before I can afford others odds and ends for my stup. If it's a MIDI controller I may be able to spend like $600, so now the question comes would I want traktor or SSL. I want to do all kinds of DJing, such as hip hop and dubstep, partys nd producing.