PDA

View Full Version : KW-181 for small Prom

DJStevieRay
04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Would you do a 250 prom with just 2 KW-181's? Do you think I would need more?

Al Poulin
04-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Close couple them (one next to the other) near a wall/corner OR even better shooting into a corner (1-2 feet away) and I think you should be OK. (depends on the size of the venue and other factors too of course)

Al

DJStevieRay
04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
The room is a hotel ballroom, 67 ft. Long x 47 ft. wide x 60 ft. high.

jayhwk
04-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I bet that'd be fine for the dance floor if you center cluster them - I doubt you'll need to cover the whole room at a high level. I certainly wouldn't want my ears bleeding after prom...

The other question is: will your tops be able to keep up with more than 2 KW181s?

DJStevieRay
04-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Here is a pic of the room.

http://www.bethlehemweddings.com/gallery/thumbs/lrg-111-GRAND__1_.jpg

GaFFLe
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Just guestimating, I think you'll be 'adequate' with your sound. When I think prom, I think the bass needs to be more than 'adequate' so 3 subs are better than 2. Are you running the sound or do you have another DJ spinning for you?

Nick_EventPro
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
If I was doing this gig, I'd personally spec 4 subs, and probably not run them too hard. If I was short on inventory, I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing it with 2 subs. I don't think you're going to blow them away, but I don't think anyone will think its lacking either.

I have a nice sized prom coming up in May for 750, and I'm bringing 8 subs.

Incognito
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
If I was doing this gig, I'd personally spec 4 subs, and probably not run them too hard. If I was short on inventory, I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing it with 2 subs. I don't think you're going to blow them away, but I don't think anyone will think its lacking either.

+1 :tup:

DJStevieRay
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Right above the ceiling is the guests rooms, so I don't want to be rattling the chadeliers. I also know if I was, I would be required to turn it down.

I can run 4 subs, but they would be K-Subs not KW-181's.

This groups DJ brought 2 Behringer 15" tops on sticks with no subs for last years prom, so I know it will be much better than what they have experienced in the past.

Biggest issue is. I will have about 5ft. x 10-12 ft of space, and I am bringing in 2 LED TV's, 6 moving heads, uplighting, 2 6.5' totems, and an 8x8 goalie post truss, so space is at a premium as well.

The biggest issue. is this...You must first lift everything up on to a 6ft. high 3 ft. wide slab of concrete which is covered in grease and garbage. Then you take a 7 minute trip up a freight elevator another 10 ft. Down a 70 ft long narrow hall way. Then you must fight with the housekeepers to use their 4ftx4ft 90 year old elevator that constantly breaks down to go up 3 more floors. Once you are up there, you need to go through a small kitchen to get into the Ballroom.

sss18734
04-06-2012, 04:52 PM
The biggest issue. is this...You must first lift everything up on to a 6ft. high 3 ft. wide slab of concrete which is covered in grease and garbage. Then you take a 7 minute trip up a freight elevator another 10 ft. Down a 70 ft long narrow hall way. Then you must fight with the housekeepers to use their 4ftx4ft 90 year old elevator that constantly breaks down to go up 3 more floors. Once you are up there, you need to go through a small kitchen to get into the Ballroom.

You'll be fine with your 2 subs. I've done a hotel that had this exact same problem ^. Took me over an hour just to get my equipment into the ballroom, let alone set anything up.

Paris McBryde
04-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey lets be honest, we're talking about teens at a prom not senior citizens listening to Sinatra...Right ?
Sure you can just get by with 2 subs in that room but I doubt anyone will really feel the music, it will just be OK. These are young kids so BASS is key if YOU want to make a nice impression so I believe 4 Subs will make everybody happy ;)

ampnation
04-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I can run 4 subs, but they would be K-Subs not KW-181's.

When they say 4 subs, they're talking about the ones you mentioned first, the KW181, not something with inferior output like the KSub. KSub has it's place although I think it is overpriced, and 4 KSub won't give you any more output than 2 KW181, less I would think.

If 2 KW's is what you have, go with that this year. Since, as you noted, this will be a vast improvement over last year, you'll probably be invited back. Look to gain another one or two KW181 between now and then.

audiopyle
04-07-2012, 12:10 AM
250 people in a 3150 sq ft room in a classy hotel with chandeliers. I don't see any problem covering it with 2 subs.

DJJDGator
04-07-2012, 08:34 AM
250 people in a 3150 sq ft room in a classy hotel with chandeliers. I don't see any problem covering it with 2 subs.

I agree, i think sometimes in this forum people are a little extreme in their suggestions.

windspeed36
04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I agree, i think sometimes in this forum people are a little extreme in their suggestions.
Exactly

Hey lets be honest, we're talking about teens at a prom not senior citizens listening to Sinatra...Right ?
Sure you can just get by with 2 subs in that room but I doubt anyone will really feel the music, it will just be OK. These are young kids so BASS is key if YOU want to make a nice impression so I believe 4 Subs will make everybody happy ;)
When working hotels, you must keep in mind that there are other guests and functions happening in the hotel. While yes you can turn down your overall volume, he's noted that space is at a premium and load in and out is a real pain.