PDA

View Full Version : Chit-chat Thread

epik1
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Woohoo!!! we're BACK!!!

THANKS A MILLION DJF =D

DJMC
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
need to activate siggy links and I'll be a happy camper!

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who specializes in non-cheesy receptions and private events.

epik1
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
lol whut I meant this to be for Canadians mostly, but anyone is welcome :)

alazydj
02-06-2012, 12:19 PM
It's good to be back. I'm going to be trying my best to stay on top of the music threads...So many tracks I've never heard.

But yeah, a Toronto DJF meeting in the spring?

epik1
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, they usually go down. I don't know what happened to all the other DJF GTA members though =(...

epik1
02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
played with a DJM 900NX last night with my friend's VDJ setup..too much fun

bmorr
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM
It's good to be back. I'm going to be trying my best to stay on top of the music threads...So many tracks I've never heard.

But yeah, a Toronto DJF meeting in the spring?

Let's do it up. If anything, just hit up a bar one night and have some drinks and chill.

Pineapple
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Let's do it up. If anything, just hit up a bar one night and have some drinks and chill.

sure guys or mebbe do a show @ FW on my slot

bmorr
02-11-2012, 09:55 PM
sure guys or mebbe do a show @ FW on my slot

I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

epik1
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
hmm so the torch is being passed to me to DJ opening night parties for all the Ryerson Theatre shows Fall 2012, and on until I graduate ... ahhhh need practice...and better equipment lol...and a broader "what other people like to listen to" collection of music :S

bmorr
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
hmm so the torch is being passed to me to DJ opening night parties for all the Ryerson Theatre shows Fall 2012, and on until I graduate ... ahhhh need practice...and better equipment lol...and a broader "what other people like to listen to" collection of music :S

Yea man, I'm responsible for all the Faculty of Environment DJ stuff until I graduate too at UW. Also often do lots of stuff at the campus pub as well.

It's good for you to do those things because it helps you practice at playing for small crowds as well as big crowds (plus you know you're going to get paid regardless, so you don't have to worry about promoters n shit).

Just make sure you have some really generic pop music like what is on CHUM FM. From my experience, even if you play some of the newer pop stuff on the radio, you'll often get these academically inclined girls going like "wtf? where's my lady gaga?" haha.

Let me know how it goes man. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

epik1
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah, fortunately judging from the last few opening nights I've been to that my friend's have been DJing, the crowd is usually pretty easy to choose music for they like stuff everybody likes (fatboy slim, criss cross, kanye, etc.) but they also jammed pretty hard to some electro, house, dubstep and surprisingly people weren't completely inebriated...except one guy haha. But yeah generally the same crowd more or less at these opening parties cause it's just for the Ryerson Theatre students (acting, dance, production)
But the current/past DJ's are also a lot better !...and have better equipment lol

Thanks bmorr. I think more than not, I just have trouble making my mind on what track to pick next =P and actual mixing I think I maybe getting "too busy" with effects, and loops and stuff and sort of kill it lol.

bmorr
02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, fortunately judging from the last few opening nights I've been to that my friend's have been DJing, the crowd is usually pretty easy to choose music for they like stuff everybody likes (fatboy slim, criss cross, kanye, etc.) but they also jammed pretty hard to some electro, house, dubstep and surprisingly people weren't completely inebriated...except one guy haha. But yeah generally the same crowd more or less at these opening parties cause it's just for the Ryerson Theatre students (acting, dance, production)
But the current/past DJ's are also a lot better !...and have better equipment lol

Thanks bmorr. I think more than not, I just have trouble making my mind on what track to pick next =P and actual mixing I think I maybe getting "too busy" with effects, and loops and stuff and sort of kill it lol.

No problem man. Have fun!

Pizzadouglas
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
It's so good to have this back and seeing those familiar faces again :lol:

daveoj
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Welcome back!

Tektonix
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
creep the WEMF thread if you guys want, Hopefully trying to do a WEMF Meet-up C:

DJF2.0 LEGOOOOO!

epik1
03-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Canadian section needs a bump.

bmorr
03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Canadian section needs a bump.

no kidding, how are your Ryerson gigs going?

NickJames
03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Am I the only Canadian not in Ontario... Christ lol.

alazydj
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
You, G3N3R4L, E-Turnal, Nick Bike + maybe a few others I'm forgetting.

Don't feel so alone...even if 50% of the populations is between Montreal and Windsor :P

NickJames
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Don't feel so alone...even if 50% of the populations is between Montreal and Windsor :P

LOL :) I'm actually from Ontario (Peterborough/Ottawa) live in Saskatoon now though which is basically Ontario's biggest city... Every other person I meet here is from Ontario somewhere.

BuddyUK
03-05-2012, 08:45 PM
lol whut I meant this to be for Canadians mostly, but anyone is welcome :)

MOST BORING THREAD ON DJF CONFIRMED:djchris:

epik1
03-07-2012, 01:13 AM
no kidding, how are your Ryerson gigs going?

Nothings come up yetttt which I'm not too disappointed about, more time for me to practice what I need is much needed practice lol.

Tektonix
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
LOL :) I'm actually from Ontario (Peterborough/Ottawa) live in Saskatoon now though which is basically Saskatchewans biggest city... Every other person I meet here is from Ontario somewhere.

Fixed D: Gawd damn yo lol

NickJames
03-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Fixed D: Gawd damn yo lol

:spin: It was a joke... lol

hoff
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
We need more house music in Hamilton! I swear to you I'm one of the only house-only dj's off the McMaster campus. It's depressing. Everyone I talk to at other southern ontario universities tell me house is all they hear in clubs these days.. The main issue is most of the promoters here attended/partied at mac 5 years ago when it was all top 40 and rap. They don't see that house is exploding.

What's the house scene like where you're at?

alazydj
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Hoff

You down on campus? I'm up by Upper James/Fennell.

hoff
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah I'm just off campus at king and dalewood right on the corner. You go to mac?

alazydj
03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm actually going to Mohawk for Radio broadcasting. I agree about the lack of a proper "house" scene here...I haven't been to many clubs here that play anything other than Top 40.

hoff
03-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Yup. I've spun at viva, rok and a few times at 77 over the last year and got a great response dropping house bangers each time. However, each time the promoters pushed the event as the typical 'top 40 - house - mashups - hiphop' jam which is also frustrating cus house heads immediately discredit the event.

Hopefully in time things will change. Or I'll just get to the point where I start my own promo thing because house nights are a wide-open market here...

miX_
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Yo Nick! Where abouts in Sasquatchkatoon are you located? :teef:

NickJames
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Yo Nick! Where abouts in Sasquatchkatoon are you located? :teef:

Saskatoon.

miX_
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I meant more what part of town. But cool man. Nice to see other folk in the area.

bmorr
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Yup. I've spun at viva, rok and a few times at 77 over the last year and got a great response dropping house bangers each time. However, each time the promoters pushed the event as the typical 'top 40 - house - mashups - hiphop' jam which is also frustrating cus house heads immediately discredit the event.

Hopefully in time things will change. Or I'll just get to the point where I start my own promo thing because house nights are a wide-open market here...

...yee.... They definitely over-did it at Waterloo with the House music. That's all anybody plays. I used to be a strictly House DJ, but now I've moved on to Hip-Hop and Dubstep. I actually really despise going to a club that only plays house music all night long. It's like cool random 128BMP song **2 hours later* ...err... cool somewhat different 130BPM song? lol

akswun
03-14-2012, 12:01 PM
...yee.... They definitely over-did it at Waterloo with the House music. That's all anybody plays. I used to be a strictly House DJ, but now I've moved on to Hip-Hop and Dubstep. I actually really despise going to a club that only plays house music all night long. It's like cool random 128BMP song **2 hours later* ...err... cool somewhat different 130BPM song? lol

Lol... kinda feel the same way about House. But I'm more of a fan of the classic stuff. But enjoy sets from Dirty Dale and Tricky. I find that the newer house music is straying off to more pop/EDM stuff which I can't stand.
The House crowd I like more is the same crowd that enjoys Hiphop. Or if you're lucky finding a DJ that will mix hiphop & house. Newer house music gets tiring as you stated.

I was at Revival a few months ago for a strictly house music party. Was great for like an hour, after that I kinda wished I dropped some MDMA's because I was getting bored.

bmorr
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Lol... kinda feel the same way about House. But I'm more of a fan of the classic stuff. But enjoy sets from Dirty Dale and Tricky. I find that the newer house music is straying off to more pop/EDM stuff which I can't stand.
The House crowd I like more is the same crowd that enjoys Hiphop. Or if you're lucky finding a DJ that will mix hiphop & house. Newer house music gets tiring as you stated.

I was at Revival a few months ago for a strictly house music party. Was great for like an hour, after that I kinda wished I dropped some MDMA's because I was getting bored.

Yea, like honestly the most fascinating and interesting DJs I've watched, like Laidback Luke or Chuckie, will do house, and then drop some classic Hip-Hop and switch it up for a bit at least. When I spin I usually do House for an hour then switch it up to Hip-Hop, then A tiny bit of dubstep, and then keep switching around to keep the crowd guessing....ofcourse this is if I'm spinning at a fairly mainstream club. If I was spinning at a strictly EDM/House club I'd probably just stick to House, but I just can't stand DJs who don't know how to switch it up a bit. Honestly I'm way more impressed with a DJ who can transition from 128bpm to a 70bpm like nothing, that shit's impressive.

Origin
03-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone located in the west want to buy a MIDI Fighter?

hoff
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Yea, like honestly the most fascinating and interesting DJs I've watched, like Laidback Luke or Chuckie, will do house, and then drop some classic Hip-Hop and switch it up for a bit at least. When I spin I usually do House for an hour then switch it up to Hip-Hop, then A tiny bit of dubstep, and then keep switching around to keep the crowd guessing....ofcourse this is if I'm spinning at a fairly mainstream club. If I was spinning at a strictly EDM/House club I'd probably just stick to House, but I just can't stand DJs who don't know how to switch it up a bit. Honestly I'm way more impressed with a DJ who can transition from 128bpm to a 70bpm like nothing, that shit's impressive.

Yeah, I definitely prefer a house dj who drops hip hop and other genres here and there vs. a top 40/hip hop dj who drops ghosts and stuff and barbra striesand and says they spin house though.

Tektonix
03-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Sooooo corner of richmond and peter in Toronto......They tore down Home, Embassy, Traffik and Pizzaville (Im most upset about pizzaville) D: Anyone know if they are opening up any new clubs there? Maybe a really big one considering they tore out the fucking block? I swear to god if its a fucking condo..... -__- smh

Any word on this would be peachy, cuz im not pleased about the size of our entertainment district deteriorating

TrueWind
03-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Sooooo corner of richmond and peter in Toronto......They tore down Home, Embassy, Traffik and Pizzaville (Im most upset about pizzaville) D: Anyone know if they are opening up any new clubs there? Maybe a really big one considering they tore out the fucking block? I swear to god if its a fucking condo..... -__- smh

Any word on this would be peachy, cuz im not pleased about the size of our entertainment district deteriorating

HHOOOOLY.... Even Embassy??? That club was doing very well wasn't it?

Wow... I haven't gone clubbing in Toronto since December, but DAMN! So much has happened in the last 3 months~!

Tektonix
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
HHOOOOLY.... Even Embassy??? That club was doing very well wasn't it?

Wow... I haven't gone clubbing in Toronto since December, but DAMN! So much has happened in the last 3 months~!

Yeah Embassy to man :c It was doing pretty well from what i can gather, aswell as traffik. Home was on and off shutting down and opening again but damn..... Yeah allot's been going on down that end lately with clubs shutting down and being torn down completely. Im just really hopping that it's to make room for bigger, better venue's and such, id hate to see that area deteriorate and become all condo's :/

epik1
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Not a direct comment on this quote, but to continue this topic. I had a good practice session at home and I found myself to be dropping a few hip-hop tracks every now and then cause I figure people will need a break/grab drinks or whatever, get some energy back up, and build up again before getting back into electro mixes or whatever. Creates some dynamics.

akswun
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Lol... Home and Embassy? I know them as Tonic, Systems Sound bar and something else.... I saw that the other day. Kinda sad, but really its an end of an era in Toronto. Richmond street is totally different now.
If you clubbed when I did you would also notice that the warehouse beside This Is London which used to be Distrikt is now knocked down as well. Lucid or Circa as you youths known it to be has been gone for a few years now and I believe its a Marshalls now(true story,saw it the other day).

If you haven't heard of the city killing the so called clubbing district(richmond st) here's your wakeup call. Majority of the clubs have found a home on King West sans Cobra, Brant... hell Liberty Village is poppin off as well with Maro taking in a lot of the clubbers.

bmorr
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM

It's a condo 100%. I've read through the zoning by-laws. They are being torn down to make room for excavation of the underground parking for a new condo. I think the entertainment district's club days are numbered to be honest. With so many people moving in, it's only a matter of time until they're gone. The clubs will face too much opposition from new residents. Let's be frank, most people like going to clubs, but wouldn't want to live beside one. Imagine how many drunken people would pass by, and people barfing all over.

It's unfortunate :/ Had some pretty awesome times in that area.

Tektonix
03-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Damn such a shame /: and yeah its a shame circa shut down aswell as distrikt :c Guess King W is where its at now, hopefully somewhere somehow a new wave of clubs will open....WE NEED MOAR

DJ_G3N3R4L
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Yeah west coast here. Although the smaller population means a really small window of diversity in the music scene here.

epik1
03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
TrueWind is at it again, I see you in the majority of FS threads haha.

epik1
04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
http://soundcloud.com/wilmmmm/april-12-blehmix
derp derp derp, sorry don't know how to embed.

wasn't feeling very well today, so sorry for lack in quality of....everything lol so many slips haha.
Done with VDJ7 and Vestax Typhoon that is sort of broken lol.

Flame away!

epik1
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow, I'm glad this thread got stickied, very useful!

Anyways, I'm in a rut I think I've hit a "learner's DJ block" I just don't know really what to do anymore. I think I've outgrown my Vestax Typhoon/VDJ setup? Not sure.
This is bad because I'm expected to play something like 8 opening parties for shows from September to next April, on top of that I also got hired as a general technician for a an entertainment/production company that does weddings, corporate events, parties, etc.etc. (not sure if I should post who they are) and their goal is to eventually get me up to DJ status, they know I'm learning and I have low confidence levels in almost everything...music choice, mixing, etc.

=\ tips?..

recess
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Getting my S4 on wednesday, im excited.

epik1
06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
should I just "cheap out" and get a serato box with a cheaper mixer? (DNx1600, etc.)

epik1
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
haven't posted here in awhile, updates:
got an S4 and flight-case for it.

Baller95
09-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Toronto FTFW!

Sean
09-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Mix Master Mike in Montreal this Friday :slayer:

contra
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Mix Master Mike in Montreal this Friday :slayer:

That'd be so awesome to see! I wish I didn't live in Alberta, we never get shows like this and if we do it's always on a freakin Tuesday or something dumb.

DJ_G3N3R4L
09-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Giving a good sunday bump!

We should throw a DJF canada tour. Just saying.

LeFresh
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Shawarma, pho and poutine are local delicacies in Ottawa.
I'm hungry...

recess
09-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Shawarma, pho and poutine are local delicacies in Ottawa.
I'm hungry...

mmmmmm somerset.

cyberphox
09-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Toronto FTFW!

Toronto here

Tektonix
09-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Old but fucking hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w06kPF7lXA

"You aint drivin a bus with like 17, 19 niggas in the back acting like its a honda civic" :lol:

bmorr
09-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Old but fucking hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w06kPF7lXA

"You aint drivin a bus with like 17, 19 niggas in the back acting like its a honda civic" :lol:

LMFAOoooo too true

bmorr
09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm spinning at the Stirling Room tonight all night. If you guys wanna come out and chill by the booth i'm down. Let me know and i'll get you free cover.

epik1
01-18-2013, 12:48 AM
anyone have anything to say about apc40/20 or the smaller lpk25 or the other akai keyboards/apc-type hardware under $300 ?
good? bad? waste of time and money ?

Tektonix
01-18-2013, 01:00 AM
, They Can Be Pretty Fun And Handy. I Have An APC40 And A Launchpad. APC40 I Use More So Just To Fuck Around With Loops And Samples And Do Like Live Production Sets For My Cat. Think Like Deadmau5.

The Launchpad I Use To Trigger Samples, FX And Acapellas ect... When DJing, Pretty Fucking Usefull Tbh, All These Pews, Airhorns, Acapellas And Whatever Else I Can Find At The Push Of A Button. That And It Makes A Bitches Night To Let Em Press A Button LOL Seriously Though, You Can Take Your Sets To A Next Level With This Thing.

Keyboards Can Be Fun For Production, Not So Much Live, Helps You Get Your Ideas Out And Just Mess Around With New Ones, The New Axiom Air Mini Series Is Pretty Bang For Your Buck, Its Got Pads And Parameters On It As well, Like An All In One Portable Producers Fun Toy.

epik1
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks!! I'll check'em out!

epik1
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM
hmm what I need/why I'm looking into this:
I need to sample, make loops, fx, trigger loops and effects, pitch shifts, also I feel like it'd be easier to create some melodies, harmonies etc. with a keyboard platform.

I'm still starting out on Ableton Live right now, but I'm more of a tactile person so I feel like I would be able to input my ideas easier through hardware.
I've been playing drums for 7 years now and djing for a couple of years and have been involved in audio production (live and a bit of studio) for close to a decade now (I was exposed to this stuff when I was very young) .

The project is I'm producing an album for my thesis, I have a lot of rhythms and stuff in my head, I just need something that will help me transfer the sounds in my head to real sounds lol. it's driving me nuts!

The problem with APC40 and Launchpad seems to be that they're more performance controllers, and the pads are very small because of that.
M-Audio, well I don't really like their stuff most of the time, I'm looking towards more Akai. But I'm open to be proven wrong or just any ideas!

djatkins
03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
have you looked into the Maschine at all they seem to be a good choice.