PDA

View Full Version : A Mobile DJ Survey

rocket's ass
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Just for curiosity reasons, let's fill out this list of questions regarding your business. It'll be fun, informative and a way to get to know more about this crazy world of mobile DJing.

What is the name of your business?
How long have you had this business?
How long have you been DJing?
Is this a side business or full time?
On average, how many gigs do you do per month?
What type of gigs do you do for the most part?
What type of gear do you use?
What advice would you give for someone just starting out?

Quentin Legend
04-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Just for curiosity reasons, let's fill out this list of questions regarding your business. It'll be fun, informative and a way to get to know more about this crazy world of mobile DJing.
[/B]

What is the name of your business? Infinity Soundz
How long have you had this business? I'm not the owner, I'm a DJ & the marketing manager, a few months.
How long have you been DJing? A few months.
Is this a side business or full time? Full time.
On average, how many girls do you do per month? Mmmm... Depends on my Charm-O-Meter.
What type of girls do you do for the most part? Hot one's, just hot one's.
What type of gear do you use? Big, Quality gear.
What advice would you give for someone just starting out? It's all about charm and size bro.

/had to :P

rocket's ass
04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
lol!!!

DJ Scotch
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM

ASL Entertainment LLC

Less than a year.

Close to 12 years

Side business

Average 3 gigs per month.

Mobile DJ business:- Weddings, Engagements, Sweet 16, Anniversary, Birthday Party, Corporate event, etc.

Traktor Kontrol S4, Yamaha 12 ch mixer, JBL PRX speakers and sub, LED lighting, Shure wireless mic

What advice would you give for someone just starting out?

Whether you are starting out or in this game from long time, keep practicing.
Keep positive and pleasant approach towards everything. Learn from your mistakes, understand your style and target your audience based on that. Be open to learn new things but master yourself in one area. Understand your client, built a relationship, learn and educate. This is the only way you can keep your customers happy. Be honest about your experience and what you offer but don't low ball to gain business. If you are new to the game start with reasonable price, don't devalue yourself by doing gigs for $200. If you are not confident enough go and help an experience DJ to gain confidence. Other way to gain confidence is spin at family/friends parties (whether big or small party) for no charge.

That's all for now. :)

rocket's ass
04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks DJ Scotch! What I meant by "what types of gigs do you do for the most part" is what type of gigs are you doing the most on average? I'm assuming weddings will be most people's answer but I was curious.

djscrizzle
04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
What is the name of your business? BPM Productions of Colorado... I registered as a sole proprietorship in 2011, and I'm deeply considering reincorporating as an LLC for liability reasons.
How long have you had this business? about 8 years.
How long have you been DJing? almost 9 years.
Is this a side business or full time? Since I'm in college fulltime, it's fallen by the wayside a little bit. From '04 till 1/2012, I was DJing off and on and going fulltime on the admin and hustling side to get shows...
On average, how many gigs do you do per month? Was doing up to 4-6 each month last summer... Has slowed down since then.
What type of gigs do you do for the most part? I'm a mobile and club DJ, taking whatever types of shows I can land. Started out as a mobile DJ, and picked up steady Club DJing some five years later, in 2009.
What type of gear do you use? I've switched to mostly using a laptop with Virtual DJ and a Vestax VMC-004 mixer for mobile DJing, and at the club, spinning CDs on CDJ800, 900 or 1000MK-IIIs with a DJM 600 or 800 in the middle.
What advice would you give for someone just starting out? Find out what your market allows as a mobile DJ if you're into that, and be prepared to get stiffed in the club world. Have a thick skin, practice daily and refine your skill to be razor quick and deadly sharp (cue ninja sword-drawing scene here)

Silver Man
04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
What is the name of your business? Silver Disc Productions, LLC
How long have you had this business? 21 years
How long have you been DJing? 22 years
Is this a side business or full time? Side business (It doesn't pay nearly as much as my IT Salary!)
On average, how many gigs do you do per month? More during wedding season, less when not.
What type of gigs do you do for the most part? We specialize in weddings, but will do community events to fill in between.
What type of gear do you use? Virtual DJ on a dedicated Computer, Denon HC-4500 controller, ATW Wireless Mics, QSC K-Series mains and subs, Chauvet, Martin, and Blizzard lighting, all controlled by DMX Software.
What advice would you give for someone just starting out? This is for a mobile perspective, but focus on customer service. Make sure you do what you need to to make your customer happy. I go above and beyond for my B&G customers and everyone has a great time. In today's world, Customer Service is lacking in many companies.

Dix
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
What is the name of your business? Dixieland DJ
How long have you had this business? 10 years
How long have you been DJing? 21 years
Is this a side business or full time? Part time
On average, how many gigs do you do per month? 2 (sometimes one... sometimes three)
What type of gigs do you do for the most part? Wedding &/or receptions
What type of gear do you use? A basic system.. brand, mostly Peavey
What advice would you give for someone just starting out? Experience...

windspeed36
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
4T2 Events
8 months
2 months but been doing live audio and studio recording for 11 years
Full time
12-15
Mainly equipment hire, corporate speaking and live bands
JBL VP VRX, Meyer Mina + 700HP, L'Acoustics KARA, Martin Lighting, DBX processing, Soundcraft and Midas desks.
What advice would you give for someone just starting out?know what your getting yourself in for and definately have a backup source of income

I love music
04-06-2012, 05:13 AM
What is the name of your business? ADJ

How long have you had this business? 3 years

How long have you been DJing? over 20

Is this a side business or full time? side business

On average, how many gigs do you do per month? depends on the season. From one to five

What type of gigs do you do for the most part? weddings and parties

What type of gear do you use? Denon, peavey, crown, behringer, jb systems, stairville, njd, HP,

What advice would you give for someone just starting out? protect your body from lifting heavy stuff. Say no to bridezillas. dont sweat the small stuff. Dont accept a gig if it means working for peanuts. Lets keep this business highly paid for what we do.