PDA

View Full Version : logic pro or ableton live?

unknown00
04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
coming from Sony Acid user on windows i want to get a similar app so i can make mixtapes and song edits. i just want something that's "easy to use", looking at ableton i'm confused as hell though i haven't played with it yet. money is not an issue. i don't do anything live and don't want to record anything. what i'm looking for is basically being able to make a virtual mixtape or some track edits, so some simple effects and filters would be nice

comments/suggestions?

thehadgi
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
I would almost pretty much just recommend getting audacity based on what you've said

Mystic
04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Well, you can't use Logic on Windows, so unless you have or are getting a Mac, that's not really an option.

You can also take a look at DAWs like Sonar, Cubase, or Protools. Bitwig Studio will also be an option soon.

swine
04-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I would almost pretty much just recommend getting audacity based on what you've said

id have to agree.. no point in wasting money. And ableton is really easy to pick up compared to logic...

Dave Porter
04-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, you can't use Logic on Windows, so unless you have or are getting a Mac, that's not really an option.

You can also take a look at DAWs like Sonar, Cubase, or Protools. Bitwig Studio will also be an option soon.

Do you know the release date for Bitwig?

ezelkow1
04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
id have to agree.. no point in wasting money. And ableton is really easy to pick up compared to logic...

+1

and if he wants something way more advanced for only 60$ more, reaper

login
04-05-2012, 04:45 PM
ABleton lite could also work

preston
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Go with Ableton. You can warp tracks and create mashups and mixes fairly easy. Sounds like thats exactly what you're looking for.

+1 for bitwig. Its not going to be officially released for a long time. They keep pushing beta back. Just a stab in the dark, I'd say one more year at least before an official full release.

Andrew B
04-05-2012, 09:43 PM
And ableton is really easy to pick up compared to logic...

I find it to be the opposite.

Manu
04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
^^^ same here

Mystic
04-06-2012, 12:18 AM
^^^I'm with them.

I tried Ableton and hated the interface. :|

jaytoh
04-06-2012, 02:46 AM
I heard soundcloud users can download ableton lite for free

thehadgi
04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I use ableton and I'd vote it hardest to get used to probably

Of course it's the easiest for me now, but that's because I use it so much

M!TCH
04-06-2012, 08:57 AM

I find it to be the opposite.

Same here. If you're just recording mixes go with Audacity. Don't spend money you don't need to.

Wakka
04-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I use both... Ableton for jaming and getting my ideas down. Logic for tracking and mastering. Have logic as the master and ableton rewired as the slave. works well, and gives me the best workflow possible imo.

thehadgi
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't use logic, but why do you track with it? Is it easier in logic than ableton?

drop1
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I hated the trial Ableton for production. Every single day of the 30 they give you.

M!TCH
04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't use logic, but why do you track with it? Is it easier in logic than ableton?

I think Logic is more intuitive than Ableton is. The workspace just seems more natural in my opinion and I think Ableton gets a little more difficult to use unless you've had previous DAW experience.

Celestial
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
i rewired reason into ableton, seems to work for me quite good :shrug:

login
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Well for me Ableton is more conductive to creativity, the way you can compose many different loops and try them with out having to rearrenge.

Also drum, instrument, audio fx, midi fx racks are quite fun.

Andrew B
04-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Well for me Ableton is more conductive to creativity, the way you can compose many different loops and try them with out having to rearrenge.

Also drum, instrument, audio fx, midi fx racks are quite fun.

So, you like Drum Racks better than Ultrabeat? That's actually kind of shocking. Do you have a lot of experience with Logic?

login
04-15-2012, 03:58 AM
I didn't compare them, just pointing out ableton has also good things going on. Drum racks are more a tool to sequence drum tracks and also offer very flexible control of anything within: samples or synths and chains of fx.

Personally I can't get around timeline based daw's for starting a track, I think it's easier to work with loops and once you have all the elements arrange properly.

By the way I find Logic instruments superior soundwise to ableton native one's, maybe the best one's packed with any daw.

Phi
04-15-2012, 05:45 AM
i rewired reason into ableton, seems to work for me quite good :shrug:

+1

I've never used logic.

I picked up ableton about a year ago, and thought I'd be at home coming from Acid, but I found the learning curve a little rougher than I'd imagined. I don't think I could ever go back to a more traditional style workflow, and I'm really amazed by the speed at which I can take raw material and get it into a "jamable" rough draft. I also find that Reason and Traktor integrate with what I consider to be a minimal time investment compared with the benefits of the union.

unknown00
04-15-2012, 11:30 AM
i went with ableton!