PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Judson Laipply

Ntertainment
04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I got contacted by a hospital who will be having Judson come and do some speaking for nurses in the near future. She wants me to do lighting and will be getting back to me with some examples of lighting in the past. I will also need to run a live video feed up to a projector so everyone can see what's happening in the room.

I've never done any thing like this before. I don't own any par cans but have 24 q6 pucks available, 10 color palettes, 8 q spot260 a couple of strobes, and some effects lights, vue, kinta. What do u think? I've seen his YouTube video a few times looks like just basic stage lighting. has anyone ever done something like this before. Ideas for video?

Synaxis
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Ok;

1) No Idea who Judson Laipply is, so I had to look him up. A.K.A The Evolution of Dance Guy

2) How large is this "room?"

3) I'd wait for her to show you some examples. It's probably better to wait and know what the client wants before making an entire plan.

I think you've got more than enough lighting to cover the event pretty well, but knowing the room size would give a better idea of how powerful of a projector you may need.

Do you have any video equipment? If he is going to be standing in one spot the whole time, you can just get a single camera and hook that up to the projector. Or you can rent some lower end production equipment, get a friend, have maybe two cameras, ect...

But then again, it all depends on the size of the event. Plus, renting AV equipment might cost around $400-$600 for a day.

Ntertainment
04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Room is smaller than a half gym. And they have a projector I just need to hook up the camera to the wall and project. I tried to tell her the stage will be on the same wall as the performance so maybe we won't be doing that.

I watched another one of his videos and they only had a spot light on hom the whole time. Would the q spot work for that? Or should I rent a spot light?

DJ M&M
04-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Use all your pars and q-spots, ditch everything else. rent some source fours, and a dimmer for front white wash. Also If you need too make sure the venue has a tie in for a distro.

Nick_EventPro
04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Definitely wait to see some examples before you start planning. That said, if its what I think it is- there's no need to rent any source 4's or the like. Use your Puck Q6 (hopefully q6a) and get a nice warm white mix and use that for front lighting. You can use the qspot if the speaker will be stationary, but using it as a followspot could get tricky (but is possible).

Depending on the budget you could program some intro stuff with the movers, but I think they are mainly expecing a well lit stage (for visibility) and a spot on the speaker. Some corpy gigs like (and can afford) some glitz, but at a minimum they need it well lit.