PDA

View Full Version : New to all this

DonAndy
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi all

I have always wanted to DJ but never really got a chance to learn or invest in any decks. I have been looking at doing a course. There is one based in Camden that seems legit and has apparently taught some people that are doing well on the circuit. I don't actually see myself in a club, as i see this as purely a hobby. I have purchased a the how to DJ properly book as a start.

I would like you guys opinion on doing a course, from both that have done one and ones that have not.

Also I am only interested in mixing with decks as I have loads of vinyls. Is this now outdated? If i ever become good enough and decide I want to play out, will need to adapt and use digital media at some point?

I already have 7.1 surround speakers and a Yamaha 1067 RX-1067 A/V amp. I also purchased a splitter a little while back.

Any advice will be appreciated including on what equipment I need to get started.

Thanks in advance

LALaw
04-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Since you're doing it as a hobby, you may as well start with what you're comfortable with - i.e. vinyl and decks. Those are generally the hardest medium to learn on anyway, so once you get the hang of it there everything else will be easy.

I took courses to learn CDJ's and never regretted it. In fact I think I learned a lot of basic skills that I don't see mobile DJs have. Good luck mate

DonAndy
04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Since you're doing it as a hobby, you may as well start with what you're comfortable with - i.e. vinyl and decks. Those are generally the hardest medium to learn on anyway, so once you get the hang of it there everything else will be easy.

I took courses to learn CDJ's and never regretted it. In fact I think I learned a lot of basic skills that I don't see mobile DJs have. Good luck mate

Thanks for the input mate, appreciated.The only thing stopping me is the cost of the course which is £250 for 8 hrs.

Subprime
04-04-2012, 03:05 PM
What's the company you are going with? The one above EGG?

What sort of music do you want to play? Is this the music you have on vinyl? Is this music dance music?

kidj fresh
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I went to the Scratch Academy, in NYC founded by jam master jay. Cool peeps, and also havent no regretted it. I started off doing that class without TT, then I worked my ass off 60 hrs/w to buy my bad boys.. Also another thing I will never regret, starting off on turntables..

I hate the feelings of shortcuts being that there is so much knowledge being left out if you just Dj using your cd player.. Also, I do not recommend a cdj class...?? Maybe a basic mixing/scratching class should be best. Plus, going to the Scratch Academy, I met Grand Wizard Theodore, Jazzy Joyce andmany more awesome people..

P.S. Grand Wizard Theodore Invented the scratch, and he is ...fucking ridiculous. just sayin.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Are you mobile?

Sigma
04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't think that anyone needs a course to learn to DJ, but it can certainly give you a head start - especially if you're totally clueless about what to do - and you can meet some like-minded folks and make some new friends, so I wouldn't say "don't do it".

As for DJing with vinyl - do what you want to do. The skills you learn when mixing with vinyl translate over perfectly to mixing with something like Serato or Traktor and the basics of a DVS can be picked up literally in minutes should you ever decide to buy one.

DonAndy
04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
What's the company you are going with? The one above EGG?

What sort of music do you want to play? Is this the music you have on vinyl? Is this music dance music?

It is the london sound academy based in camden.
The kind of music I am into varies from rare groove to reggae but my passion is hip-hop. I understand this is the hardest to mix.

I went to the Scratch Academy, in NYC founded by jam master jay. Cool peeps, and also havent no regretted it. I started off doing that class without TT, then I worked my ass off 60 hrs/w to buy my bad boys.. Also another thing I will never regret, starting off on turntables..

I hate the feelings of shortcuts being that there is so much knowledge being left out if you just Dj using your cd player.. Also, I do not recommend a cdj class...?? Maybe a basic mixing/scratching class should be best. Plus, going to the Scratch Academy, I met Grand Wizard Theodore, Jazzy Joyce andmany more awesome people..

P.S. Grand Wizard Theodore Invented the scratch, and he is ...fucking ridiculous. just sayin.

This sounds like something I will be all over, If l lived in America. If they had a scratch academy in London, I would definitely check it out.

I don't think that anyone needs a course to learn to DJ, but it can certainly give you a head start - especially if you're totally clueless about what to do - and you can meet some like-minded folks and make some new friends, so I wouldn't say "don't do it".

As for DJing with vinyl - do what you want to do. The skills you learn when mixing with vinyl translate over perfectly to mixing with something like Serato or Traktor and the basics of a DVS can be picked up literally in minutes should you ever decide to buy one.

I reckon I am gonna go down the route of doing a course because I am totally clueless and at least I can learn the basics.

Manu
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I already have 7.1 surround speakers and a Yamaha 1067 RX-1067 A/V amp. I also purchased a splitter a little while back.

Unfortunately, receivers are useless for DJing because of lag problems. I'd say buy some equipment instead of wasting the money on a DJ course. If you are interested in learning the basics, there is a lot of information from the internet, not tho mention this website.

DonAndy
04-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, receivers are useless for DJing because of lag problems. I'd say buy some equipment instead of wasting the money on a DJ course. If you are interested in learning the basics, there is a lot of information from the internet, not tho mention this website.

Thanks for the info. Kinda annoying though, as it would save tons of money. Can i skimp on a DJ amp or is that as essential as the decks for example?

Manu
04-07-2012, 05:50 AM
The better you can get is of course recommended. Now there's nothing wrong with getting maximum value for your money. What I always suggest is to get in a second hand shop that does hifi and you will be more than likely to find something decent. As in amp + speakers, but do not get a surround sound amp as they generate a few milliseconds of lag and make DJing on them impossible.

You can also check out on Ebay for amp brands such as NAD, Cambridge audio and the likes. They usually are cheap as chips on there, even though I'd still recommend going to the shop in case you get a faulty item and need to return/exchange.